Alternative Gamepads

Search This thread

lightykd

Dec 4, 2008
Is there a way to remap buttons? I see that the Wii Classic Controller is mapped to fit the 360 style mapping that would mean that:

B/classic = A/360
A/classic = B/360
X/classic = Y/360
Y/classic = X/360

I want to use one of those nifty GameCube styled Wii U fight pads made by PDP. They're basically Wii Classic Controller Pros shaped like GameCube pads. See here:

http://www.amazon.com/PDP-Wired-Fight-Pad-nintendo-u/dp/B00LSBNSJA

In this case I would need A,B,X,Y to = A,B,X,Y -Anyone on this forum have any major experience using Wii Classic controllers with the Fire TV?

Last edited:

Ludacrisvp

Dec 13, 2008
MN
So I'm on FireOS 5.0.3 (532008220) FireTV Stick (AFTM).
I have 2 PS4 Dualshock 4 controllers (OEM) that I can put in generic pairing mode (PS+Share) and they will pair to my MacBook Pro and work fine with it.

I'm unable to get either one of them to pair to the FireTV Stick though... I go to wireless controllers section and "wireless controller" shows up and i hit pair and the PS4 controller just turns off after a bit and then eventually the pairing process times out and it is never paired.

Can someone explain how to get the PS4 controller to work?

Using ADB Shell you can see that the PS4 controller is defined:
Code:
shell@montoya:/system/usr/keylayout $ cat Vendor_054c_Product_05c4.kl          
# Copyright (C) 2014 The Android Open Source Project
#
# Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the "License");
# you may not use this file except in compliance with the License.
# You may obtain a copy of the License at
#
#      http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0
#
# Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing, software
# distributed under the License is distributed on an "AS IS" BASIS,
# WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, either express or implied.
# See the License for the specific language governing permissions and
# limitations under the License.
# DualShock 4 Controller
#
#
# Buttons
key 164   MEDIA_PLAY_PAUSE
key 168   MEDIA_REWIND
key 172   HOME
key 208   MEDIA_FAST_FORWARD
key 304   BUTTON_X
key 305   BUTTON_A
key 306   BUTTON_B
key 307   BUTTON_Y
key 308   BUTTON_L1
key 309   BUTTON_R1
key 310   BUTTON_L2
key 311   BUTTON_R2
key 312   BUTTON_SELECT
key 313   BUTTON_START
key 314   BUTTON_THUMBL
key 315   BUTTON_THUMBR
key 317   MENU

## Joystick and game controller axes.
axis 0x00 X flat 0
axis 0x01 Y flat 0
axis 0x02 Z flat 0
axis 0x05 RZ flat 0
axis 0x09 GAS
axis 0x0a BRAKE
axis 0x10 HAT_X
axis 0x11 HAT_Y

lightykd

Dec 4, 2008
The OUYA controller doesn't seem to work well with the Fire TV 2. The D-Pad no longer functions as a D-Pad and even in the OUYA Launcher (I have that side loaded as well) the buttons do not function properly.Maybe someone can double check?

Neonbible

Feb 21, 2016
The OUYA controller doesn't seem to work well with the Fire TV 2. The D-Pad no longer functions as a D-Pad and even in the OUYA Launcher (I have that side loaded as well) the buttons do not function properly.Maybe someone can double check?

Yep, same with the fire stick after updating to OS5. What a mess! I bought the controller to use specifically with FTV too.

Anything that can be done? Has anyone contacted Amazon support?

LivinOne

Mar 27, 2008
Any reason I should not pull the trigger today and order a Playstation Dualshock 4 ... need to use on both AFTV1 & AFTV2

thx!

godlike1984

Jan 6, 2013
was someone able to pair latest xbox one s white Bluetooth gamepad with firetv1 ? I have latest firmware on the gamepad updated to v3.x and rooted aftv1 on 5.2.1.0 (Build 550145120) thanks!

slybunda

May 6, 2010
Has anyone had luck with a Logitech Cordless Rumblepad 2?

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/support/287

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Cordless-Rumblepad-Vibration-Feedback/dp/B0002XJBGE

When I plug the receiver into my Fire TV, I can see it light up in response to me pressing buttons on the controller, just like it does attached to a PC, but I don't get any input.

i cant get this pad working either. i dont think there is any linux support for it.

fleisch80

Oct 29, 2015
Amazon Fire TV
Amazon Fire
Got moga pocket to work on fire tv2 !

YES , i did get moga pocket to work on firetv2 YOU PROBLABLY NEED TO BE ROOTED FOR THIS TO WORK !
HOWEVER THERES A CATCH ,
being that it is being recognized and paired only on the software side, and not the fire tv hid side thru
new controller recognize, it is being recognized and paired only by the moga pivot and moga universal driver app
THIS is sufficient however to allow it to work just like with any android device. but firetv hardware itself is not superseeding
the pairing, as this is doing it just like it would on your cell phone !

BUT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.

each time you restart or power on your firetv2 , you MUST reinitialize and re-pair the moga universal software to the
pocket controller. YES for many, this inconveinence may be too much, but

i am not willing to spend another 50.00 on moga pro !

SOO-------------------------------------------------------
how to do it !

install both moga universal app. and moga pivot app !

now in the universal driver app, with moga pocket turned on ! , allow the moga universal app/driver to force recognize and pair
the pocket controller, pay no mind / and dont try to do it in fire tv settings , it will not help !

the moga universal driver will pick the device up !
BUT LISTEN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
depending on if your using it for emulators or other,

in the moga universal app, you may need to switch the setting to universal/keyboard mode,
this may or may not give your games and emus the extra needed compatibility,

if not just leave this setting on game controller.

again, its the setting in the moga universal app /driver ,
one that changes from game control only setting to keyboard ,etc.

YOU MAY OR MAY NOT GET OTHER, OR BETTER PAIRING USING THE MOGA PIVOT APP!
HOWEVER FIRST I WOULD DO IT JUST USING THE MOGA UNIVERSAL APP/ DRIVER FIRST !

SO-----------------------
LONG STORY SHORT ,
FIRETV2 ITSELF WILL NOT RECOGNIZE CONTROLLER IN SYSTEM SETTINGS,
HOWEVER, USING THE MOGA APPS, IT IS SUFFICIENT ENOUGH TO FORCE PAIR IT INTO ANDROID ITSELF USING
SOFTWARE TO DO IT ! SIMILLAR TO WHEN YOUR ANDROID PHONE PAIRS IT !

BECAUSE USUALLY IT IS DONE ON THE SOFTWARE SIDE, AND NOT INTERNALLY THRU HARDWARE RECOGNIZE.

make sure before you open the moga driver app to pair it , that you first have the moga pocket turned on !
now follow the pairing message click pair and let the software recognize the controller !

its now working,
again remember whenever you shut down ,
next start up, need to repair controller for usage , using the moga universal driver/app, and also
tweak the usage settings in that app using the select game controller / or keyboard options

AGAIN , THIS IS IN THE MOGA UNIVERSAL APP/DRIVER SETTING.

if all else fails, i would then and only then try first pairing using the moga pivot app,
but
ONLY as last resort ! other than that use moga universal driver /app !

YOU SEEN IT FIRST HERE !

FLEISCH80

---------- Post added at 02:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:48 PM ----------

for anyone not able to pair a third party controller , ON THEIR FIRE TV2

SOME HELP,

AS YOUR PHONE USUALLY ONLY PAIRS CONTROLLER BLUETOOTH DEVICES THRU THE SOFTWARE PAIRING METHOD , NOT HARDWARE
TRY THAT ! SAME AS ON PHONES .......................

install software for the device , with device ALREADY turned on ,open the software for it ,
now use pair select or search for device in the menu,

there you have it, about a 70 percent chance your device will now work on fire tv2 , paired only by using the software meant for the device !
and not at all thru the firetv2 system controller pairing settings !
ONLY bad thing doing this for less compatible devices is you will problably need to re-pair device in said software every time you restart
firetv2

fleisch80

Oct 29, 2015
Amazon Fire TV
Amazon Fire
Yes moga pocket works , read on

you can link it to work,
however not thru fire tv settings, thru the moga universal driver app, and or pivot app.

turn pocket controller on,

now in the moga universal app , select link and find controller ,

app will find moga pocket and link it,

youll know its linked when moga pocket flashes green once !

only bad thing is you may have to do this relink thru the moga universal driver /app
everytime you restart , sorry

YOU MAY NEED TO BE ROOTED FOR ANDROID SYSTEM TO GIVE MOGA APP PERMISSION TO LINK , ETC.

NOT SURE , PLEASE LET ME KNOW.

SMALL INCONVIENIENCE , BUT ILL TAKE IT
I WONT BUY ANOTHER CONTROLLER AT 50.00 OR MORE !

relic

Aug 15, 2006
I found my old Logitech Rumble pad 2 which connects via USB dongle on my firestick 4k. I can see the reciever responding to the controller each time I press on it. However firestick is not responding to the buttons. I can even see on Steam Link app that it identified the controller as Rumble pad 2. But it doesn't respond to any of the buttons. Anyone knows why?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Heads up: GameStop's Red Samurai controller is on sale right now for $8. Haven't tried personally yet, but I've seen quite a few posts where people seem to be having a lot of success on their Fire TVs. Probably going to try and pick one up after work.

http://www.gamestop.com/android/accessories/tablet-wireless-game-controller-v2/104425
    Just got my Playpad Pro from amazon and I can't get it to pair for the life of me! I've updated the firmware (tried both 100 and 101 bins) using every method I know of - PC, Playground app, and the Playpad Firmware Update app. I also tried pairing in each of the different "modes" (gamepad, app, etc). I'm at my wit's end. The Fire TV is running the latest rooted stock image, if that matters.

Any ideas?

First off - make sure you have fully (at least 2 hours) charged your batteries. The PlayPad is really picky about needing a full charge the first time.

Make sure it is in gamepad mode and hold in the home button to turn it on. Then go to pairing on the Fire TV. The red light on your PlayPad Pro should be flashing about once a second. Select pair on your Fire TV then hold the home button in on your PlayPad Pro again (4-5 seconds) until the red light starts flashing faster - this puts it into pairing mode. Took me a while to figure that out. After a bit the PlayPad Pro should be detected and you can select it on the Fire TV to complete pairing.

Good luck!
    Does the Fire TV support multiple bluetooth gamepads for multiplayer gaming?

This would be great for not only supported android games, but also emulated stuff.

With the Fire Game Controller it is possible to pair up to four gamepads. I think the same must be true for other types of controllers too.
    Nyko has a new Playpad for the Fire that is being released on the 18th. I ordered one.

dang that doesn't look half bad. and rechargeable == nice. I may have to retire my beloved 360 wired controller.

---------- Post added at 05:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:46 PM ----------

ordered one too.

damn your scaly hide, kairnage.
    Currently I have a wireless PS3 controller connected via the Sixaxis app. Yes I paid for the app (was using it on my GSII) and I have root. Cons are - it disables the FTV remote and it has about a half second input delay when playing emulators (Retroarch and ePSXe).

I'm not using it anymore coz the input delay is an absolute killer on fighting games. I'm not sure if it's the app, the emulator, the bluetooth or the controller but when I tried using my K400 (which is not bluetooth) to play emulators it presents the same lag.

Does anyone have experience on a wireless controller with absolutely zero lag? I was thinking of buying the F710 but I remembered my K400 and I'm afraid that it would give me the same input delay