G2's loose hinge problem corrected!

Search This thread

hyunnnnny

Dec 9, 2010
I asked the tmobile rep to tell me specifically about the loose hinge issue on tmobile g2 and this is what he said.

"There were some reported issues when the phone was first released. The hinges were simply loose, allowing for too much movement of the keyboard. This lead to those that push harder on the buttons, to warp the hinges further (which would be those that reported a 'dangling keyboard') Once the issue was noted, all phones that were sent out after that were corrected. Those that did have the loose hinges received an exchange with the corrected hinges."

Looks like Tmobile/HTC corrected the problem! :)

MERKJONES

Jan 2, 2009
Oakland
I hope this is true... I want another one. It's not "annoying" it's more scary that I'll break the screen off the keyboard thing thing. Yeah, thing-thing.

LGS1231

Dec 27, 2010
I don't know about that... Got my second G2 on 12/20 and the hinge is still loose.

mattyboy247

Dec 24, 2009
Fairbanks AK
I received one on the 22nd... and the hinge doesn't hold it solid once it is in place. I plan on returning it and trying to get one that isn't bad.

Frostshock

Aug 11, 2010
I'm content with my "loose" hinge on my Desire Z. It opens due to gravity, as one should expect with this design. When facing a normal direction and not held by just the bottom half the hinge is very nice and easy to open and close.

Lazy361

May 2, 2010
Yeah... I call BS. I bought 2 G2s together...and we literally went thru 7 phones b4 I said well I guess that's just the way they are...all loose.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using XDA App

Nitemare3219

Nov 24, 2010
Are you guys expecting the snappy feel of the G1? That's not gonna happen.

vision

My G2 was very snappy when I first got it. When I pushed slightly it would fly open or closed and it felt very strong. Upon peering into the loose hinge issue, I opened my phone slightly and seems that weakened the hinge instantly.

Anartic

Jul 18, 2009
Uhh... when I talked to a T-Mo Rep online about that the first week I got my G2 and they passed it off as a feature.... to have a loose hinge as a feature..... kinda want to go see if they would be willing to give me a replacement now that they've accepted it as a problem.

moolash

Mar 10, 2009
from Europe

Folks, I have got a DZ for xmas. It is a Czech, (east europe model, whatever that means) and it is loose but OK. I wouldn't tear it down. If new springs come out, or a way to make it tighter, I might take it back, but I think this will do.

I'm content with my "loose" hinge on my Desire Z. It opens due to gravity, as one should expect with this design. When facing a normal direction and not held by just the bottom half the hinge is very nice and easy to open and close.

dustrho

Sep 21, 2009
Oswego, IL
twitter.com
I've had my G2 for just over a week now, and at first the hinge was pretty tight but after regular use it has weakened a bit. Does this bother me? It does a little bit, but I don't think it's enough to make me regret this purchase or have ill-thoughts toward the G2. I love this phone. I came from a total of 5 exchanged MT4Gs to the G2, and that made me realize I should have purchased the G2 instead of the MT4G (first 4 MT4Gs had creaking buttons, last one had washed out display).

If TMO really said the following...

"Once the issue was noted, all phones that were sent out after that were corrected. Those that did have the loose hinges received an exchange with the corrected hinges."

What does that mean for us? How will this be addressed, processed and/or resolved for customers experiencing this? I'm guessing it would require us to contact TMO support in hopes of them either replacing the phone or having it repaired, but since this seems to be a design flaw and not necessarily a defect I'm curious to know what TMO/HTC are doing to be proactive in this. Any ideas?