[Q] MagicJack issue with 4.4 KitKat (still)

Search This thread

arbank94

Mar 2, 2014
Alright, so I posted a thread a while back regarding how MagicJack crashes on my HTC One (M7). I simply open the app, it remains on a black screen for about 5 seconds then it crashes.
I am on ARHD 61.1.
I have tried all of these solutions:

-reinstall the app from Playstore
-reinstall the app from another source
-reinstall the app from both of the above with autosync off
-installed an earlier version of the app
-flashed the following roms: ARHD, Viper, Maximus (same issue on all roms)
-did a full wipe of my phone from TWRP
-reflashed ARHD again, and this is where I am at now

So I even took the extreme routes and it still didn't help. It simply just doesn't work with my phone.
Can anyone help me out with fixing this problem?

I have link of the logcat of when I try to open up MagicJack... http://pastebin.com/Gb90s8AH

arbank94

Mar 2, 2014
Sorry for double posting.... this is the last time. If no one has any ideas this time then I'll give it up.

Last edited:

Prophet16

Feb 23, 2012
Fremont, CA
So I had a problem like this earlier, the issue was that everytime I installed a new rom, one of the first things I did was install Android Tuner and let that app install a lot of tweaks to speed up the system, and some of the tweaks in the build.prop caused a certain app to keep crashing because it kept running out of memory. Have you installed any tweaks after flashing any of the roms?

arbank94

Mar 2, 2014
So I had a problem like this earlier, the issue was that everytime I installed a new rom, one of the first things I did was install Android Tuner and let that app install a lot of tweaks to speed up the system, and some of the tweaks in the build.prop caused a certain app to keep crashing because it kept running out of memory. Have you installed any tweaks after flashing any of the roms?

Well first I was on ARHD 52. MagicJack didn't work, so I figured it was an issue with ARHD.

When ARHD 53 came out a couple of days ago, it STILL didn't work. At that point I figured something must have been wrong.
(I do install the ElementalX kernel (specifically for double tap to wake, I keep everything else at stock.)

But this time, I completely wiped my phone. I installed a fresh ARHD 61.1, and I tried out MagicJack BEFORE I installed ElementalX again. Turned out, MagicJack still didn't work.

So other than ElementalX, I do not install any tweaks.

Prophet16

Feb 23, 2012
Fremont, CA
Well that's odd,sometimes a clean install of a rom is still not enough to make a certain problem go away. I had issues with a specific base, when I install 4.19.401.8 base, I can't sign in to Google, but when I install a newer or older base, the problem is gone. Now if I were to install the same base over and over again the problem would resurface in a different base. So I decided to use the stock AT&T RUU and start over. The RUUs usually restore nearly everything. So I think you should give that a try. And if you can try to run an RUU exe, not a zip.

arbank94

Mar 2, 2014
Well that's odd,sometimes a clean install of a rom is still not enough to make a certain problem go away. I had issues with a specific base, when I install 4.19.401.8 base, I can't sign in to Google, but when I install a newer or older base, the problem is gone. Now if I were to install the same base over and over again the problem would resurface in a different base. So I decided to use the stock AT&T RUU and start over. The RUUs usually restore nearly everything. So I think you should give that a try. And if you can try to run an RUU exe, not a zip.

Problem with that is... I have a Latin American International HTC One with a CID which is not supported by any RUU.
So I SuperCID'd to 11111111, and none of the RUUs seem to work.
(so I'm probably not selecting the correct RUU)

But tell you what. I'm going to do another wipe. I'm going to start again from the beginning with a new TWRP, new rom, and new everything.
If at this point MagicJack is STILL not working, then I'm literally out of ideas and I'll try RUUing.

arbank94

Mar 2, 2014
Okay so I formatted and wiped my entire again, and I flashed a new TWRP, and I had no OS installed (nearly bricking my device). I installed a clean ARHD 61.1, and everything was from the beginning. I didn't sync any account, I didn't add the Google account either.
All I did was download Root Explorer, and installed a MagicJack.apk I downloaded from another source. It STILL didn't work. wtf

At this point, I'm going to assume that MagicJack needs to update their app and that it's not my phones fault.
It's just weird because for other people it works on ARHD 61.1.

Prophet16

Feb 23, 2012
Fremont, CA
The RUU might not work if your device is unlocked, you'll have to re-lock the bootloader to use an RUU.exe. But guess what, I decided to find the app and install it myself to see what's going on and I have the same issue. I'm running 4.19.401.11 base, the rom is my own and I have Elemental X kernel, so I think it's just the developers messing up here.

arbank94

Mar 2, 2014
The RUU might not work if your device is unlocked, you'll have to re-lock the bootloader to use an RUU.exe. But guess what, I decided to find the app and install it myself to see what's going on and I have the same issue. I'm running 4.19.401.11 base, the rom is my own and I have Elemental X kernel, so I think it's just the developers messing up here.

Ohh, so you're getting a black screen and just having the app crash too? Then yeah... the developers messed up.
Guess all that wiping went nowhere... at least I have a fresh start though. (didn't mean it to sound disgusting)

biglo

Jul 18, 2009
OnePlus 7 Pro
Google Pixel 6
I awaiting a fix for this problem as well. It sucks that magicjack doesnt seem to be working on sense roms. I have this same problem when I was using 4.3 as well but only on sense roms.

rodenti

Apr 19, 2009
Same problem here on ARHD 53. I open Magic Jack, get the black screen for 10-20 seconds, then it exits. I wouldn't call it crashing because I don't get any error displayed.

I tried clearing data plus uninstalling and reinstalling multiple times and it always gives this result.

Is there anyone who has been able to get Magic Jack to work with the M7?

arbank94

Mar 2, 2014
magicJack has been finally fixed, but only on the newest InsertCoin roms. I really wish Android Revolution HD would fix the problem as well since I prefer it over the former...

Reactions: QuangAK

Top Liked Posts