Help! No sound after ICS update

Search This thread

pigacc

Apr 1, 2011
I've been using it for 8 months without any problem (always have most updated FW). Now, since I've updated to ICS (OTA) last Saturday I have consistent audio problem - there is no sound at all (by any app). I need to restart it and get the sound back, but then after a while, it happens again. FYI, everything is stock, without root, etc.

Is it a known problem of the new ICS? Anyone has a solution for this problem?

Many thanks!

mbaer89

Feb 15, 2012
Lexington, KY
same thing happened to me...asus used to be the only one who was good at updates but not lately...anyway, try backing up all your apps and going to settings and doing a full/factory reset. helped out mine with the sound issue and it hasnt happened since. see if that will work for you as well

yapkui

Dec 17, 2006
yes,reboot or factory reset can solve the problem..
but now i cant use usb thumbdrive on dock,are u?

blickley

Jul 27, 2011
Happens to me about once a day, no sound (from media, notifications, anthing). A quick reboot solves it. I've already done a factory reset to try and solve the "reboots while sleeping", but that didn't fix either one of those issues.

revjwb32

Nov 26, 2007
mine was on silent mode after ics update something to check before a reboot, it is usually the simple things.....

LightI3ulb

Jun 26, 2010
A few reboots into ICS, my sound was gone. I rebooted it, and it came back. It happened again a few reboots later. Tried rebooting to fix it, but it never came back. I tried reflashing 3.1.1 again, still no go. I eventually caved and RMA'ed it on Monday. I had to unroot it :(

jadesse

Aug 19, 2007
My sound has gone away twice on me. The first time was started a movie & there was no sound. I wanted to use the HDMI out anyway & I did have sound on the TV. Again last night I lost sound again & had to reboot. I never had this problem with HC.

dangambino

Feb 2, 2010
baltimore
more then likely its a hardware issue. its just a coincidence that u just upgraded. with everyone with a transformer upgrading, any problem that follows will be directly linked. I have speaker issues as u all described. I can push the bottom of my tab and my speakers cut back in once I loose sound.

get a bluetooth speaker or send it for Rma. I went with the first option.

Last edited:

pigacc

Apr 1, 2011
I don't think it's a hardware issue (at least in my case) - I've never had this problem before ICS update, and the problem will go away right after a restart. It sounds to me a firmware problem; probably some conflict between the new ICS with existing apps

Honestly, I'm quite regret to have it updated...

KevinLuong

Feb 9, 2008
Sydney
I'm having the same issue too (intermittent loss of audio, returns after reboot) - definitely related to firmware/software, not a hardware issue.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda premium

horndroid

Jan 30, 2012
San Francisco
I don't think it's a hardware issue (at least in my case) - I've never had this problem before ICS update, and the problem will go away right after a restart. It sounds to me a firmware problem; probably some conflict between the new ICS with existing apps

Honestly, I'm quite regret to have it updated...

Do a factory reset and cold boot.
You can't expect all your honeycomb apps to work on ICS without causing issues.

CalvinH

Apr 26, 2009
Avoid doing that reset + cold boot.

After two of them + several other tries, my sound keeps mutting.

Lets hope the update fixes this.

immortalbelar

Jan 21, 2011
I too have this problem after ICS update. I noticed, sometimes after I put into silent mode, it stay muted until a reboot.

ls3mach

Apr 4, 2006
Firmware related most likely. Mine is doing it too. A reboot fixes the issue. Hard reset won't likely correct the issue as I did a factory reset prior to installation. Possibly a piece of software causing it, but I am not going to mess with it as I only have 1 program installed.

speedlever

Dec 2, 2007
NC
After the update to ICS, my daughter's TF201 no longer has any audio.. speakers or headphone.

I've done the factory data reset and the data wipe. No change. Sadly, I have an RMA and hope they can figure it out. Before I ship it off, do you have any suggestions?

Thanks.

jasonf925

May 26, 2010
Just another 'me too' post. I have 2 transformers in the house. Upgraded one (a B80) to revolver and lose audio a few times. Reboot brings it back. When it goes away, no sound from speakers or headphone jacks. Next time it happens I'll try and grab a logcat.
Haven't tried it on my older rev TF yet, I think i'll hold off a bit.

The B80 was wiped and done with a clean install. User apps restored via TB, but no settings were carried over from HC.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I do believe it is ics firmware issue, Tf201 get fix with lastest build so I hope Tf101 get fix too.
    sound issues

I am a reseller for Asus and I have received a large number of calls relating to this sound issue. I know it is not isolated because of the sheer number of customers having the issue. I have reported the issue to Asus and they have not been much help at all. The sound will randomly cut out (mostly when headphones are plugged in or unplugged but not always) and it will only come back with a reboot. The most common situation is when someone has sound, plugs in headphones and hears nothing. They then unplug the headphones and still no sound. Volume is all the way up and there is no indication that any headphones are plugged into the tablet but still no sound. Again, the only solution I have found so far is a reboot; however, I would like a more permanent solution. I can provide a logcat to anyone who can provide assistance on the issue. This sound issue has been a nightmare!