(Guide to Backup sms/mms with titanium backup)

Search This thread

antawnm26

Apr 3, 2008
Atlanta
I was using my backup root, and come to find out you must purchase the pro version if your jumping from rom to rom...I done some digging and this process works great...The props should go to:razor02097 (incredible forum)....

I tested it and it works on both sms/mms:

How to automatically backup your SMS/MMS messages with Titanium Backup (Rooted Users)

So you have seen all those sms backup apps but none tickle your fancy... You are rooted and have Titanium backup. You know how to backup your messages but you don't want to have to manually backup your messages all the time. Good thing there is an easy way to tell Titanium Backup to do it for you.

The following is exact step by step instructions.

Open app drawer
Open Titanium Backup
Press the menu radio button
Select "Filters"
At the bottom press the "Create label" button
Name your label whatever you want
Press the "Add/Remove elements _" button
Check the "[SMS/MMS/APN] Dialer Storage 2.2" checkbox
Press the "OK" button
Press the "Save" button
Press the back radio button
Select the "Schedules" tab
Press the "Add new schedule" button located at the bottom
On the schedule that just appeared press the "Edit" button
On the top combo box select the arrow to pull down the menu. Select the "Backup all system data" option
On the next combo box that says "No filtering", click the arrow to pull down a menu. You should see your label you created. Select your label.
Select the time you want your backup to take place
Select the days you want your backup to take place
Press the "Save" button
Check the "Enabled" check box to enable your schedule
Now Titanium Backup will automatically backup your messages at the specified time and day or days.

Note: You will need the Titanium backup pro key to access the batch operations.

The call history is in:"[CONTACTS/CALLS] Contacts Storage 2.2"

****Keep in mind our numbers will be different sms/mms/apn dialer storage 2.3.4
***Call history: contacts/calls contacts storage 2.3.4

Enjoy......

racinwarrior

Aug 12, 2010
you do know that sense has this option built in right?

in the messages app>menu key>backup sms (it also backs up mms)

if you are using a 3rd party sms program then disregard

also this should be posted in general or maybe themes and apps not in development. thanks for the guide though

Reactions: badboy47

Tim_FJR

Apr 11, 2010

also this should be posted in general or maybe themes and apps not in development. thanks for the guide though

Are you sure about the Sense option working for MMS messages? I was using that method for a while, but switched to TiBu because Sense wasn't restoring my MMS messages. Maybe I missed an option somewhere. I'll have to give it another look.

Marcismo55

Sep 29, 2010
Ventura, CA
Nope...both the backup SMS option built into Sense and SMS Backup and Restore do not restore MMS messages.

I use TiBu to back up my SMS/MMS and only restore data.

antawnm26

Apr 3, 2008
Atlanta

I wasnt for sure where to post it...If anyone knows how to move it to the correct section let me know how, or get the moderator to do it....

k2trill

Aug 30, 2009
I wasnt for sure where to post it...If anyone knows how to move it to the correct section let me know how, or get the moderator to do it....

I'm going to simply say thank you. I've tried all those other methods and they never work correctly. They'll have the times wrong or all the sent messages listed and then the received. No MMS backup. Just complete failure. I have the Pro (key) version of TiB so that's no issue. I'm definately going to try ur finding.

Sent from my HTC Rezound™ using xda premium

unclebrudy

Feb 22, 2008
La Mirada, CA
I wanted to say thank you as well. This worked perfectly.

This thread may/may not be in the right forum, but it was a helpful post nonetheless. Thanks again.

windcan

Sep 24, 2010
Vancouver, BC
I was using my backup root, and come to find out you must purchase the pro version if your jumping from rom to rom...I done some digging and this process works great...The props should go to:razor02097 (incredible forum)....

How to automatically backup your SMS/MMS messages with Titanium Backup (Rooted Users)

So you have seen all those sms backup apps but none tickle your fancy... You are rooted and have Titanium backup. You know how to backup your messages but you don't want to have to manually backup your messages all the time. Good thing there is an easy way to tell Titanium Backup to do it for you.

Open app drawer
Open Titanium Backup
Select "Filters"
Press the "OK" button
Press the "Save" button
On the top combo box select the arrow to pull down the menu. Select the "Backup all system data" option
On the next combo box that says "No filtering", click the arrow to pull down a menu. You should see your label you created. Select your label.
Press the "Save" button
Now Titanium Backup will automatically backup your messages at the specified time and day or days.

Enjoy......

thanks
this is one of the reason i was using myback up pro as it will back up sms mms and apn and it is very clear how to.

will this also back up the apn?

how do you restore them then or will they auto restore if you restore "all system data"?

thanks

cynikalJ

May 24, 2010
While I like titanium backup, go backup blows it out of the water. It's free, backs up EVERYTHING and works flawlessly. Plus you don't have to go through 9000 steps to back stuff up just check the box and done!

nrfitchett4

Oct 12, 2009
San Antonio
thanks for this, didn't know titanium could do this. Now I feel like I wasted 5 bucks on mybackup pro.
For those that keep saying that other apps can do what titanium does and easier I call BS. Every one that I have tried has had problems. Mybackup pro for example says that it can delete system apps but they don't go anywhere. I also don't like that it does a mass backup. I like that I can restore different versions on titanium. Really helps when an updated app is borked.

alvinlim28

Dec 3, 2004
Singapore
#!&@#^! Go SMS

While I like titanium backup, go backup blows it out of the water. It's free, backs up EVERYTHING and works flawlessly. Plus you don't have to go through 9000 steps to back stuff up just check the box and done!

I like Go SMS very much, that is until the latest v4.52 which does not allow local backup and restore *angry*!

If there is anyone who accidentally upgraded and stuck without a way to restore from local, download the apk below.

http:'double slash' dl.apktops.com 'slash' app 'slash' 201205 'slash' GO_SMS_Pro_4.51.apk

Looks like I have to go titanium backup ....

mikevillarroel

Jun 28, 2008
Pembroke Pines, Fl.

Open app drawer
Open Titanium Backup
Select "Filters"
Press the "OK" button
Press the "Save" button
Press the "Save" button

Enjoy......

So this covers calls, sms and mms, so in theory if I love jumping between roms I just need to do a full restore of user apps and a restore of the sms/mms/apn dialer storage 2.3.4 and contacts/calls contacts storage 2.3.4 ? what about the email accts and the other stuff like bookmarks, wifi settings etc, would it be possible to have those backed up too?

Piaband

May 18, 2011
Open app drawer
Open Titanium Backup
Select "Filters"

At this point, I do not have "filters" as an option. I am running version 5.3.2 with pro key. I am on Newts OneXXX 3.2.1 with Sense 4.0.

I just dont see the filters option. Here is a screenshot of the Titanium Backup menu.

druhaul

Sep 9, 2009
:eek:
I like Go SMS very much, that is until the latest v4.52 which does not allow local backup and restore *angry*!

If there is anyone who accidentally upgraded and stuck without a way to restore from local, download the apk below.

http:'double slash' dl.apktops.com 'slash' app 'slash' 201205 'slash' GO_SMS_Pro_4.51.apk

Looks like I have to go titanium backup ....

yea I hear you, this angered me a lot, but I found a workaround, just set your phone to airplane mode, and then when go sms pro cannot connect to the cloud it will then ask you if you want to restore locally...

also what the other poster was mentioning was actually not go sms pro, it's another app by the go dev team called "go backup", this is the first I've heard of it, but I'm gonna try it out, I also just set up the TiBu SMS/MMS back up as per the guide in this thread so I guess I'll just see what works best, it's cool that you can just schedule everyday backups with TiBu though, ah Android so many options you gotta love it...

here is a play store link to Go Backup...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...up.pro&feature=nav_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDNd

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Open app drawer
    Open Titanium Backup
    Select "Filters"
    Press the "OK" button
    Press the "Save" button
    Press the "Save" button

Enjoy......
    sms backup and restore also works. And is one step.
    I recently went from the Rezound to an S3 and uninstalled GoSMS earlier today because of the backup issue, or lack thereof, and went back to the stock app. TB does a great job (images and all) whether you backup and restore app data or use the backup to XML option, but one downside is that it does not ADD to what's already on the phone; it replaces the entire DB. So if you are trying to merge messages from another phone (in my case, from my Rezound to my S3), and you've already received some messages on your new phone, the only way to keep both is to backup both to XML and then use Word to copy/paste (keep source formatting) and then save as a third XML and then restore using that XML.

Hope this helps someone. :)
    The new version of TB (5.4) now has a dedicated function to backup and restore SMS/MMS, Bookmarks, and Call Log:

Menu -> Backup Data To XML...
    Menu -> Restore Data From XML...
    I think it does. idk I don't MMS much.