Crack in sgs2 benzel !!

Search This thread

sachinaik

Jun 6, 2011
Bangalore
Guys

I observed that there is a crack in the benzel of my sgs2. Benzel i mean The plastic lining that wraps around the front glass.

The crack is near the volume buttons.

How easy it is to replace this plastic strip ? Is it risky ?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

G

GuestK00450

Pretty sure you mean bezel, not benzel.

You would probably have to replace the entire housing which is quite risky to do in my opinion. If you don't know what you are doing you could short the board or break something.

DaPhinc

May 12, 2012
Happend to me too. Seems like that part is very fragile.
I think the only way you can replace it is replacing the whole screen and touch panel.
After that one little crack and that mysterious burn mark right next to it (damn alcohol :p) i finally decided to buy a case ;)

sachinaik

Jun 6, 2011
Bangalore
Happened to me too.
Is it really so bad that you need to replace it?

Its not so bad. But there is an another minor crack on the exactly other side of the benzel where power button is present !

Is it because of overheat ? I use my phone while charging and battery temps are at 46 celcius when I do that.

I never dropped my phone.

If I go for a new benzel then will I have to pay for new screen too ? Is the benzel glued to the screen ?

Last edited:

sachinaik

Jun 6, 2011
Bangalore
Happend to me too. Seems like that part is very fragile.
I think the only way you can replace it is replacing the whole screen and touch panel.
After that one little crack and that mysterious burn mark right next to it (damn alcohol :p) i finally decided to buy a case ;)

Buying a case is not an option for me. I nvr dropped my phone. I use it very carefully , I love my sgs2.

Why would I have to replace screen also ?

sachinaik

Jun 6, 2011
Bangalore
went to samsung service center.

They said they will replace the Glass panel, Pled screen and benzel.

Oh what the hell, I'll get a new Oled screen. Will go for SGS4 directly :)

DaPhinc

May 12, 2012
I guess it is not covered by warranty, is it? How much do they charge you for replacing it?

Hanafubuki

Jun 25, 2010
yeah I noticed a crack on my bezel above the volume button. You can kind of see it on the enclosed picture.

the_chinaman

Jul 29, 2006
Salt Lake City
I've got a crack in almost exactly the same place as the above pic, slightly closer to the top of the volume button.

Mine has been in an official flip case since day one and has never been dropped. I only noticed the crack when I looked after reading this thread (just like the plastic cover over the home button thread!).

I wouldn't have noticed the crack because of the case. So, is this a design fault? Is it heat or flex that is causing the crack?

sachinaik

Jun 6, 2011
Bangalore
The benzel is the most fragile part I think.

I must be because of heat. As the processor, gpu and antenna are near camera module. The top portion gets a lot hotter when accessing 3G.

On top of that if any pressure you put on it going to worsen it. Putting it in a tight jeans and then when u try to remove it out of pocket, u tend to grab the benzel a lot.

All in all, I would go for a metal/polycorbonate benzel in my next phone. That disqualifies SGS3.

Obviously I dont want to pay a hell lot of amount just to get a thin plastic strip (benzel) to be replaced.

Just because samsung did stupid move to glue them together and chose a cheap plastic for benzel I now have to pay a lot.

Waiting for HTC One XL(unibody) with S4 chipset. At least it would come for 3 yrs rather than breaking within 11 Months.

End of rant. Sh**ty cheap plastic Samsung.

Huck33

Jun 28, 2007
Bordeaux
same issue for me
i discovered that few weeks after buying the device
i kept the device with that crack but i worried about it

"happy" to see that i'm not the only one

Pepski

Sep 6, 2011
Southampton
Incredible! Saw this thread and wondered what the hell a 'benzel' was. After reading that it had happened to more people, I just checked my phone and it has the same crack. :D

Had never noticed this until now. Fortunately mine is a black phone, so not as noticeable as the white.

rouvax

Oct 20, 2010
Ankara
Wow i had one also at the power button side, i thought it os scratch first but not. Interesting how could this be happen :eek:

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA

buxz777

Jun 22, 2011
Just because samsung did stupid move to glue them together and chose a cheap plastic for benzel I now have to pay a lot.

Waiting for HTC One XL(unibody) with S4 chipset. At least it would come for 3 yrs rather than breaking within 11 Months.

End of rant. Sh**ty cheap plastic Samsung.

the phone isnt exactly broke though is it?? a part of the phone could have been designed better maybe but it isnt broke and doesnt stop he phone from working its also very hardly noticeable

ive had one sgs2 for around a year now and used it hard and it works great

oh and watch these videos and then try and say the sgs2 wont last 3 years if looked after properly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXOezJKpOsg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFKmvJ0zIiY

also the bezel scratches easy is there any point in replacing it when you could pay to have it fixed then drop the phone or scratch it against something??

wear marks are never good to see but they do happend

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Don't even dream to replace it. It is glued to the screen, so you have to replace the screen.
    I had the same problem. What i did is patiently take away the metalish gray paint and ended with a nice black bezel. It is black under the paint for both white and black sgs2.
    There is a thread somewhere here were a guy did it too but with a matte finish. If you want to keep the glossy look as i wanted it is more time consumming but totally doable without no risks at all.

Here is the thread i mentioned :
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1308284