Samsung S3 xxEMC2 and xxEMG4 lag/freeze problem, not insane chip f07

Search This thread

pete101

Feb 21, 2014
i looked on here for tips on how to fix my lag problem

http://xdaforums.com/show...php?p=50499120

I dont have the insane chip, u have fw7, bought samsung s3 on may 2013, manufacture date dec 2012. updated the rom 3 times from what i think originally was EMB1-EMB3-EMB5 and now EMC2 (supposedly an excellent stable rom with excellent battery life)

since monday I have been having a lag/freeze problem where the phone will become unsusable for about 5 secs, then if i start typing again, it''l freeze again.

can anyone shed light as to what has happened?

I tried the dummy file generator method, it didn't crash or freeze once when producing 5-6gb of data. it freezes after a few hours use and the only way to get it to work again is to either update an app or remove an app. very strange.

could it be a corrupted chip?

i've just updated to xxEMG4 (dont know why, i downloaded another yesterday but it failed to install so had to download again).

now i've tried it with the xxEMG4 and it still has the same problem, i'm trying to remove apps one by one to see if that improves the situation.

how can i test if my chip is damaged or in bad condition without rooting? is there any apps i can use? i've already tried the brickbug app but i am not rooted so unable to do the memory test

boomboomer

Jun 30, 2010
Don't post multiple threads on the exact same subject.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

sebbasttian

May 30, 2012
I've been experiencing the same problem lately and think I might found a solution: it seems that, at least in my case, the problem is with the battery.
I switched batteries with a friend and the freezes stopped. The strange part is that my friend doesn't have freezes either.
I really don't know why the freezes happened or why changing the battery fixed it (or why my friend doesn't have the problem when using my battery).
So, try changing the battery if you can and test it. It's been a week with freeze-free for me, maybe it works for you too.

pete101

Feb 21, 2014
can anyone shed light on what is happening please?

a further update, i removed bbm app from it and tried to recreate the lag and freezing problems and it didn't so i was relieved that it was an app problem all along.. however i was experiencing battery drain problems which i couldnt figure out so i updated to the latest 4.3 and used that for a month. no lag or freeze problems at all.. the only issue is that 4.3 drained my battery quicker than on 4.1.2 as the lowest brightness wasn't as low as on 4.1.2. so i took the plunge and used odin and reflashed a fresh xxemg4 to my s3 on friday. i did a factory reset as settings kept closing and failing then initially when i started using an app it froze for a few secs then was ok so i thought nothing of it.. spoke too soon. i had the newest bbm on 4.3 and for a month did not experience any freezing, but then today it's freezing again!! i'm on 4.1.2 xxemg4 bear in mind.. i immediately removed bbm as that's what cured it originally, but the lagging/freezing is still there and comes abruptly like when i was using 3g, when i switch on wifi it goes away but am unable to recreate the problem,

is it likely that it's a hardware problem with the chip? remember for a whole month while i used 4.3. i had no freeze lag problem whatsoever (i dont want to use 4.3 by the way so that's not a solution) so does that rule out it being a hardware issue and must be software?

i really want to avoid taking it in to a service centre as all they'll do is flash to the latest rom which is 4.3. (which i have already done) and the removing bbm didn't work unfortunately so im stuck now as to what is causing this freezing/lagging??

is there anyway to diagnose it?

pete101

Feb 21, 2014
can anyone shed light on what is happening please?

a further update, i removed bbm app from it and tried to recreate the lag and freezing problems and it didn't so i was relieved that it was an app problem all along.. however i was experiencing battery drain problems which i couldnt figure out so i updated to the latest 4.3 and used that for a month. no lag or freeze problems at all.. the only issue is that 4.3 drained my battery quicker than on 4.1.2 as the lowest brightness wasn't as low as on 4.1.2. so i took the plunge and used odin and reflashed a fresh xxemg4 to my s3 on friday. i did a factory reset as settings kept closing and failing then initially when i started using an app it froze for a few secs then was ok so i thought nothing of it.. spoke too soon. i had the newest bbm on 4.3 and for a month did not experience any freezing, but then today it's freezing again!! i'm on 4.1.2 xxemg4 bear in mind.. i immediately removed bbm as that's what cured it originally, but the lagging/freezing is still there and comes abruptly like when i was using 3g, when i switch on wifi it goes away but am unable to recreate the problem,

is it likely that it's a hardware problem with the chip? remember for a whole month while i used 4.3. i had no freeze lag problem whatsoever (i dont want to use 4.3 by the way so that's not a solution) so does that rule out it being a hardware issue and must be software?

i really want to avoid taking it in to a service centre as all they'll do is flash to the latest rom which is 4.3. (which i have already done) and the removing bbm didn't work unfortunately so im stuck now as to what is causing this freezing/lagging??

is there anyway to diagnose it?

so i've tried it for 2 days now and the lag and freeze keeps coming back and the only thing which stops it is if i install another app and it seems to reset for a couple days.. could it be to do with the sudden wake up opening the device?

i dont have the insane chip and it never freezes or lags in 4.3. (but i dont want to use that cos it has bigger battery drain than 4.1.2) is this definitely a hardware issue but if i go to the store they'll just flash it to the latest firmware (4.3.) which i dont want AND it wont freeze lag anymore.. but that still doesn't resolve the underlying issue that it may be a hardware problem with the chip? how would i get them to replace the chip if i cant show them the issue in 4.3.??

pete101

Feb 21, 2014
can someone help me please??? :(

ok i've diagnosed it down to the fact one of the cores seems to go offline during the freezing lagging and usually after i wake it up from sleep.

i use os moniter which tells me the info about the device.. it's a quad core phone international model and has the cores listed 0, 1, 2, 3.

i've noticed that when it lags and freezes cores 1 and 2 go to 'offline' with a '?' next to the info as oppose to 100000 or 4000000 etc

does anyone have any idea what is happening to my handset?

is it really a hardware issue? as i mentioend before when i used 4.3. i have no lag issues whatsoever at least i think i dont but if there is an underlying hardware issue it'll be hard for me to get this fixed. it seems the firmware just smoothes over the problems rather than fixes it.