Rooting with 3.18 bootloader

Search This thread

DesireRoss

Feb 24, 2011
Hi guys,

I've had my M8 since June '14 when I first rooted, S-OFF etc to install CM 11.

Now I'm stuck on CM11 as I can't upgrade my bootloader. Well, at least I can if I flash back to a developer RUU and then upgrade that to achieve the 3.18 bootloader AND THEN root, and S-OFF AGAIN.

I don't really want to do it, but I have no choice. I've heard the original Firewater method for rooting is now defunct, so what method would I now use to root and achieve S-OFF again once I've flashed back to the developer RUU?

Oh also, I'll need to flash a custom recovery too.

Thanks in advance.

Ross

EddyOS

Jan 2, 2010
London
Post your getvar all output and we'll go from there but you should be able to just flash the firmware package via RUU mode and you're good to go

DesireRoss

Feb 24, 2011
fastboot getvar all (don't post your IMEI and serial number though)

getvar.PNG

EddyOS

Jan 2, 2010
London
OK, this should be easy. Download THIS (rename it firmware.zip - not firmware.zip.zip!) and flash in RUU mode (fastboot oem rebootRUU) using fastboot flash zip firmware.zip. Once flashed, use fastboot reboot-bootloader to get back to the bootloader and then flash the latest TWRP (fastboot flash recovery recovery.img) and flash CM12 (or whatever Lollipop ROM you wanna use)

All the above with flash the latest firmware, inc. HBOOT 3.19.0000 and the latest radio, and you should be good to go!

DesireRoss

Feb 24, 2011
OK, this should be easy. Download THIS (rename it firmware.zip - not firmware.zip.zip!) and flash in RUU mode (fastboot oem rebootRUU) using fastboot flash zip firmware.zip. Once flashed, use fastboot reboot-bootloader to get back to the bootloader and then flash the latest TWRP (fastboot flash recovery recovery.img) and flash CM12 (or whatever Lollipop ROM you wanna use)

Thanks for your help mate. Although that firmware file seems really small? I'm currently running CM11 if that changes anything?

DesireRoss

Feb 24, 2011
Ah, I've lost root.... How do I go about getting this back? SuperSU doesn't work..?

EDIT: Worked it out, sorry!

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Firmware is literally just the new bootloader, radio, etc. and the ROM covers the rest. Trust me ;)