Tutorial: Install Windows Phone 8 SDK on Windows 7 the Easy Way

Search This thread

compu829

Nov 5, 2006
Hey All,

I have made a modified installer for the Windows Phone 8 SDK that will run on Windows 7 x64. I installed visual studio before I installed the SDK, but it shouldn't matter as this will install visual studio express for windows phone, if needed.

To install the SDK, perform the following:

1. Download the Windows Phone 8 SDK iso file. You can get it at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=257234&clcid=0x409
2. extract the contents of the ISO to the location of your choosing.
3. Download the modified "WPexpress_full.exe" that is attached to this post and use it to replace the one in the iso.
4. run setup as normal.

Everything will install and work.*
*I was getting an error when I launched the "Application Deployment" app. Once I updated Visual Studio 2012 to Update 3, it fixed it. EVERYTHING WORKS!!

Just wanted to add everything works 100%...I was able to recompile and deploy some xaps I wrote on my win 8 PC to my phone with no issues!

Attachments

• WPexpress_full.zip
    620.3 KB · Views: 46,072
Last edited:

Future_soft

Dec 1, 2011
Hey All,

I have made a modified installer for the Windows Phone 8 SDK that will run on Windows 7 x64. I installed visual studio before I installed the SDK, but it shouldn't matter as this will install visual studio express for windows phone, if needed.

1. Download the Windows Phone 8 SDK iso file. You can get it at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=257234&clcid=0x409
3. Download the modified "WPexpress_full.exe" that is attached to this post and use it to replace the one in the iso.
4. run setup as normal.

*I was getting an error when I launched the "Application Deployment" app. Once I updated Visual Studio 2012 to Update 3, it fixed it. EVERYTHING WORKS!!

Just wanted to add everything works 100%...I was able to recompile and deploy some xaps I wrote on my win 8 PC to my phone with no issues!

Hi,

Would this work on a Windows 7 32bit ? if not is there a way you can make another patch to make it compatible with Win7 32bit?

Thanks

Reactions: dex87xda

M1cky

Apr 22, 2011
Dublin
Yeah a 32 bit version would be nice. As running via VMware is a little too time consuming for me liking!

th0mas96

Nov 23, 2012
Won't work for me.. it installs (after installing Visual Studio manually first), but the XAML Interface Builder crashes.

organite

Dec 24, 2007
Grenoble
I've successfully installed the SDK on my Windows 7 x64 PC after installing and updating zune and .net framework 4.5. Every softwares are working with the visual studio update 3.
But I don't have succeed to register my ativ s phone because the Windows Phone Developer Registration program is unable to connect the phone. The screen is not locked, I don't have sd card, I try to change name, usb port, without firewall, with date+hour manual. The "Windows Phone IP over USB Transport" service is working and I've installed and uninstalled several times drivers of the phone. When I connected it to pc, windows installed two drivers: for the USB and for the phone but it failed to install a third one for Windows phone 8? Is it useful? not sure because I can discuss and navigate without problems with the windows phone 8 program for windows 7 without problems.

Any suggestions to make my ativ s recognized by the registration programm on windows 7?

Last edited:

linusplus

Jan 25, 2011
I'm getting this error:

A required certificate is not within its validity period when verifying against the current system clock or the timestamp in the signed file.

Any hints?

Reactions: jahr

compu829

Nov 5, 2006
@Gampanat I would try installing Visual Studio 2012 Update 3 first.

The sequences I went through were:
1. install Visual Studio 2012.
2. Install the SDK.
3. The tools wouldn't work...(I forget what the error was)
4. Update Visual Studio 2012 to Update 3.
5. all tools worked great.

When I had to rebuild my Windows 7 box, I did the following:
1. Install Visual Studio 2012
2. Install Visual Studio 2012 Update 3.
3. Install the Windows Phone 8 SDK.
4. Everything "just worked" using this sequence.

@th0mas96
In your case, make sure Visual Studio 2012 Update 3 is installed.

@organite Weird...it worked fine for my HTC 8x on Windows 7 x64. I'd check your internet connection and make sure the tool can get out to the servers ok.

@linusplus make sure your date and time are correct on your system before installation. If it is, try setting the date on your system back to Sept 1, 2013, unplug/disable Internet, and try installing again in offline mode.

programervn

Aug 8, 2007
Thanks compu829 and all for your help,
I install success with steps:
1. Install VS 2012 ultimate with SP2 (already have before)
2. Install VS 2012 SP3
3. Change date to Dec, 1, 2013 and install SDK 8, (if set correct date, got certificate error)
OK every things works well, but when I create Windows Phone Application, after set name for app and press OK button to create app, I got error:
Object reference not set to an instance

Reactions: Mostwanted6352

Paddyk123

Oct 12, 2012
Bangalore
Hey Guys
I changed the date to September 1st and it installed upto the end
However, at the end, I get this message
' The event log file is full'
Any advice?

---------- Post added at 06:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:31 PM ----------

Hey Guys
Any advice?

anghelyi

Apr 25, 2008
Gents, I was able to install the SDK with the date setting trick, itt seems to be working, I was even able to dev. unlock my phone, but deploying applications just doesn't work :( I receive an error message:
Exception of type Microsoft.SmartDevice.Connectivity.PlatformNotFound exception was thrown.

Any hints how to overcome this?

programervn

Aug 8, 2007
Dear Paddyk123,
I met the same problem before,
My machine installed WP 7 SDK, when I removed WP7 SDK and re-installed WP 8 SDK, It installed success,

Hey Guys
Any advice?

---------- Post added at 06:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:31 PM ----------

Hey Guys
Any advice?

GoodDayToDie

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 20, 2011
Seattle
I was able to deploy apps. Took some fiddling to get the phone to *connect* to the PC, but that's been a problem on my Win8 machine too... *rolls eyes*.

rhadoo04

Dec 13, 2010
I ve installed successfully on win7x64 but I get this error whenever I try to run a app

Value cannot be null.
Parameter name: key

GoodDayToDie

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 20, 2011
Seattle
Are you trying to debug an app on the phone, or use the emulator? The last cannot work on Win7; the so-called emulator is actually an x86 virtual machine image running in Hyper-V, and Win7 can't run Hyper-V.

You also may need to reboot.

Reactions: rhadoo04

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey All,

4. run setup as normal.

@Gampanat I would try installing Visual Studio 2012 Update 3 first.

The sequences I went through were:
    1. install Visual Studio 2012.
    2. Install the SDK.
    3. The tools wouldn't work...(I forget what the error was)
    4. Update Visual Studio 2012 to Update 3.
    5. all tools worked great.

When I had to rebuild my Windows 7 box, I did the following:
    1. Install Visual Studio 2012
    2. Install Visual Studio 2012 Update 3.
    3. Install the Windows Phone 8 SDK.
    4. Everything "just worked" using this sequence.

@th0mas96
    In your case, make sure Visual Studio 2012 Update 3 is installed.

@organite Weird...it worked fine for my HTC 8x on Windows 7 x64. I'd check your internet connection and make sure the tool can get out to the servers ok.

@linusplus make sure your date and time are correct on your system before installation. If it is, try setting the date on your system back to Sept 1, 2013, unplug/disable Internet, and try installing again in offline mode.
    Apparently Arnold Vink (developer of TimeMe) has made a liteSDK to work on both Win7 and Win8.

It can be found at http://dhost.info/vink/avink/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4&sid=ccbd2d48ec5475ae2495402fe47fe82f

I haven't tested it yet, but apparently it works.

Its just for those who need the deployment/unlock tools and not Visual Studio or anything else.

Sent from my RM-860 using Tapatalk
    It did not work for me... Windows 7, 64-bit system.
    I get an error after the installation has gone for a while.

(Screenshot attached).
    I'm facing the same problem, here's the link for VS 2012.3 :
    http://download.microsoft.com/download/D/4/8/D48D1AC2-A297-4C9E-A9D0-A218E6609F06/VS2012.3.iso

Currently downloading...