[Q] Disable Hands Free Activation

Search This thread

aprwx

Jan 30, 2011
Minneapolis
I've seen several discussions about this around the web, but none of the solutions I've read have helped me.

I have the Sprint HTC One M8 with custom ROM (ViperOneM8). The phone is activated and works fully, yet on reboot I always get the 'Hands Free Activation' wizard. If I hit Activate and then Done it goes away and I can use my phone normally, but every reboot brings it back up again.

Ideas?

webbabuser

Apr 20, 2014
Htc m8 and sprint

I've seen several discussions about this around the web, but none of the solutions I've read have helped me.

I have the Sprint HTC One M8 with custom ROM (ViperOneM8). The phone is activated and works fully, yet on reboot I always get the 'Hands Free Activation' wizard. If I hit Activate and then Done it goes away and I can use my phone normally, but every reboot brings it back up again.

Ideas?

Sorry I have the same issue with mine and finally ive called htc for a swap out phone to see if its a software defect. htc said that if it still occures it may bee an issue with sprint...

aprwx

Jan 30, 2011
Minneapolis
... I ask because when I first bought the phone it activated fine (with delay because it was the same day that the Galaxy S5 was released and Sprint had a delay activating phones that day)....but then I installed a custom ROM and am having this problem now with the custom ROM.

aprwx

Jan 30, 2011
Minneapolis
Thought I'd post here to help others who stumble on this thread....

This removed Hands Free Activation for me on Sprint's HTC One M8:

This worked for me, but a couple notes:

- I wasn't able to do the command line or Root Explorer. Both methods gave me errors, seemingly that I didn't have permissions to rename or delete the file. Why would that be? I went into TWRP and 'Fixed Permissions' but that didn't help. -- found it interesting that boot up is a LOT slower now that I fixed permissions.

- I ended up going into TWRP, mounting system and then going into TWRP's file manager to rename the file. Now Hands Free Activation no longer comes up (Thank you!), but I also note that neither PRL Update or Update Profile do anything now. Not a huge deal because before they just errored out anyway, but I would think it would be important to be able to do PRL/Profile updates.

mhmobile

Dec 26, 2007
Laguna Woods CA

- I wasn't able to do the command line or Root Explorer. Both methods gave me errors, seemingly that I didn't have permissions to rename or delete the file. Why would that be? I went into TWRP and 'Fixed Permissions' but that didn't help. -- found it interesting that boot up is a LOT slower now that I fixed permissions.

- I ended up going into TWRP, mounting system and then going into TWRP's file manager to rename the file. Now Hands Free Activation no longer comes up (Thank you!), but I also note that neither PRL Update or Update Profile do anything now. Not a huge deal because before they just errored out anyway, but I would think it would be important to be able to do PRL/Profile updates.

Thanks for the heads up about this. I just changed the .apk to .bak with root explorer, noted the path and file name so I can change it back to update the pir and prl. Mine didn't usually error out.

mswlogo

Dec 15, 2004
Boston

Ideas?

I'd find another ROM.

I think you are always safest to stay with Sprint "Native" ROMs on a Sprint Phone. Mainly because the developer usually doesn't have a Sprint Phone to fully flesh it out on a regular day to day basis. There are subtle differences between all the carriers. You also end up with a Build of Android that exactly matches the corresponding build of Firmware.

Once you do get back on a native ROM you *MIGHT* have to do a ##72786# (full wipe) to get things back in order.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.