Disappointing battery life. So far

Search This thread

Err0xx

Feb 24, 2011
Birmingham, Alabama
Excellent battery life for me 100% stock. 21 hours unplugged with 5h4m "screen on" time- screenshots are now saved as.PNG files for me now and xda says that its an invalid file extension for uploading.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using xda premium

randaddy

Jun 19, 2006
Bay Area, CA
Excellent battery life for me 100% stock. 21 hours unplugged with 5h4m "screen on" time- screenshots are now saved as.PNG files for me now and xda says that its an invalid file extension for uploading.

Over LTE? I don't doubt excellent hspa+ battery life, but until a custom rom is available us LTE guys are kinda stuck...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using XDA App

edaley

Dec 18, 2007
Does this seem right? I'm sure its just new phone syndrome but my battery has been barely lasting 8 hours.
421e8449-4e9f-1ef5.jpg

chavitoracing

Jun 19, 2011
I got the phone on the 15th,(from canada) and since then I had the phone heavily used, 12 hrs of netflix, 19hrs of Pandora and 23 hours talk time, today is the 22nd and I still have 54% battery!

Sent from my GT-I9000M using XDA App

Err0xx

Feb 24, 2011
Birmingham, Alabama
If you haven't already, download BetterBatteryStats from the market and keep an eye on "Partial Wakelocks" to see of anything is keeping your phone from deep sleep. My first charge was horrible. Went into battery stats and saw that my awake time was constant. BetterBatteryStats let me see and close these programs. Battery improved 50%.

Yes my battery life is with LTE in Atlanta.

TheGuac

Sep 18, 2008
There are a few issues with the phone but battery life definitely is not one of them. I'm at 55% after being unplugged for 31 hours. GPS and 4G have been on as well.

randaddy

Jun 19, 2006
Bay Area, CA
If you haven't already, download BetterBatteryStats from the market and keep an eye on "Partial Wakelocks" to see of anything is keeping your phone from deep sleep. My first charge was horrible. Went into battery stats and saw that my awake time was constant. BetterBatteryStats let me see and close these programs. Battery improved 50%.

Yes my battery life is with LTE in Atlanta.

No partial wakelocks. I wonder what could be causing such a big discrepancy between your battery life and mine...

There are a few issues with the phone but battery life definitely is not one of them. I'm at 55% after being unplugged for 31 hours. GPS and 4G have been on as well.

wow if that's 31 hours on LTE, I'm taking my phone back!

TheGuac

Sep 18, 2008
No partial wakelocks. I wonder what could be causing such a big discrepancy between your battery life and mine...

wow if that's 31 hours on LTE, I'm taking my phone back!

It's just HSPA+, but even then, with my Epic Touch 4G on Sprint, the phone could last at most 20 hours with 4G on, so this is a step in the right direction. Even more impressive since HSPA+ is just as fast as Sprint's 4G.

Earthdog

Mar 6, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Also not impressed with battery life on LTE (about 75% of my day the phone has a decent LTE signal). I have set market apps to update over wifi only. Got it last Friday, charged to full from dead at least 5 times now. Static wallpaper, brightness set fairly low, wifi off when LTE available, non android processes/apps set to sync when opened or every 6 hours.

Not rooted yet. Does the AT&T bloatware cause a lot of battery drain?

Note users on LTE, please chime in if you're seeing better/worse battery life.

Well I am LTE in Atlanta as well and based on your screen time of 1.5 hours at 48% your doing pretty fair. The ATT crap not only EATS the battery. Root and remove the Bloatware. If you look at my posts I am getting about 50% better life than you in the same area. I am a heavy user during the week and I can tell you, you must ROOT and DE-BLOAT.

CradleRob

Dec 26, 2011
Well I am LTE in Atlanta as well and based on your screen time of 1.5 hours at 48% your doing pretty fair. The ATT crap not only EATS the battery. Root and remove the Bloatware. If you look at my posts I am getting about 50% better life than you in the same area. I am a heavy user during the week and I can tell you, you must ROOT and DE-BLOAT.

Can you list or point to which apps count as "Bloat"?? I would love to do the same!!

murphy_31047

Feb 24, 2011
I'm getting pretty decent battery life for a large smart phone. I have been trying to kill the battery every night so that I can recharge from a low battery state.(I do this with all my smart phones for the first few cycles). Here's what I'm getting.
adbb669d-8c93-fe5e.jpg

I have to say this is by far the best battery life I have seen in a smart phone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk

odobo

Nov 9, 2008
SF Bay Area
I have no idea how can you guys keep it up for more than 12hrs.... I got mine since Sunday and in the past 2 or 3 days the most I could get was 12 hrs... I barely make it through the day and I cant imagine the battery life will increase that much after "breaking in"

CPU spy is showing my phone is in deep sleep... and I just root it last night to freeze all the bloatware... dunno what else I can do to keep it up beside not using it :p
0c5b2a0e-9472-43bb.jpg

Last edited:

Orange_furball

Feb 3, 2012
Scranton
This isnt too good. Display was off for 7 straight hours!
ae36758a-94d3-4ac1.jpg

Just rooted, made some profiles on SetCPU, and froze crapware. I'll update tomorrow with another graph.
sent from my white galaxy note At&t

Last edited:

edaley

Dec 18, 2007
What bloatware do you guys suggest freeezing? Just bought Titanium backup so im ready to go!

Err0xx

Feb 24, 2011
Birmingham, Alabama
This is my battery life. 21 hours unplugged, and made it to just over 5 hours screen on time when my battery hit 1%. Totally stock, auto-brightness, streamed music over Bluetooth, browsed the web, watched videos, and used wifi. Also in a LTE area (Atlanta)

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1329962256946.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1329962256946.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 84

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Well certainly seems to be a thorough report and investigation. Guess the battery is crap :(

Yesterday I factory reset my phone and formatted usb storage and my cf card, just in case it was some filesystem corruption causing my fast battery drain. I wasn't able to diagnose a particular cause for my issue, but I suspect it was something sitting on partial wakelocks all the time.

This time I'm being much more judicious adding software and auditing their effects before continuing. I've now got it working dramatically better than it has so far, and I feel confident that I have proper diagnostic tools to discover future problems.

I'm running the stock rom and unrooted so far. All I've removed are easily removable preloaded apps that I know I'm not going to use.
    It will take 4-5 full recharge cycles to hit full capacity. The graph you show is fine. How much battery life were you expecting? 12-14 hours would seem about right.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using XDA App
    no *****in about battery life for at least a few days if not a week... it will not stabilize until the phone has been charged up and drained several times. case in point, i took it right out the box and started using it. started at about 50% battery life and was dead in an hour. charged it up last night and been using it for the last 6 hours pretty heavily and its still at 77%.

it will only get better, be patient :) my atrix was just as bad out of the box.
    You should get 24 hrs on normal use and 12 hrs heavy use.i have international for month now
    I can easly make 28 hrs.just phone text and web.no movies or games.first few days dont charge unless almost dead.