Any felt the need of sd card yet?

Search This thread

shad0wboss

Oct 6, 2010
Genève
I'm thinking of buying LG Nexus 4 but before that i wanted to ask people whether they felt the need to have an extra card slot for the phone. Also how much out of 16 GB is available for personal use...any general comments about the phone itself would be helpful...

Cheers!

Dec 9, 2011
I'm thinking of buying LG Nexus 4 but before that i wanted to ask people whether they felt the need to have an extra card slot for the phone. Also how much out of 16 GB is available for personal use...any general comments about the phone itself would be helpful...

Cheers!

I think about 13 was available? A quick google might answer that question more precisely ;) I'm not using the phone for music or lots of movies. I don't expect to run into difficulties in that area.

android88

Jan 21, 2012
To be honest, 16GB is too much space for me. I have around 1.3 gigs of my dev stuff, some apps (NFS Most Wanted People complain all the time about how they need 32/64GB of storage but the only reason I can think of needing that much is for music and movies. You can stream those as well so it's not a big deal.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda premium

h.han

Feb 28, 2011
London
First of all, I don't own nexus 4 but a galaxy s3 with expendable micro sd slot. But I do want to get nexus 4 as well!!

From my personal usage, 16gig is simply not enough. I play lots of heavy games most of them from gameloft, each will take >1gig space and I do shot pictures videos and have tons of other applications installed as well.

I put videos, pictures and musics on sd card but still, only 2.3gig left on internal storage.

I know maybe vanilla android will be smaller than touchwiz but considering >10gig video and pictures that I have, 16gig just won't be enough .

Of course, you may not be like me and can use cloud storage. In the end, it's how you use your phone for the most, and regardless nexus 4 or other phones, it will be the same.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using xda app-developers app

skezza

Sep 29, 2007
I've not installed any games yet, but I imagine once I do, the space will begin to go quickly. Music I'm less worried about, I stream mainly from YouTube etc. Video recording will be interesting though.

I would have preferred an SD card option, just because it's a fallback. An SD model would have probably convinced me to go for an 8GB N4, but no SD meant I had to go for the 16GB one.
The lack of OTG on this phone is a worry, but at the end of the day, considering the relative ubiquity of WiFi/3G internet in most developed countries, I don't think it's a big problem for streaming video, music etc, so really it's just games and what not that might be the struggle. I'm thinking of setting up a dropbox, (First time for me) which would be good for videos, and music and what not. I'm just not convinced of the price thats all. 2GB isn't very much, and as I have a pretty unlimited web server I could take advantage of that.

kipue

Sep 3, 2009
Hong Kong
First of all, I don't own nexus 4 but a galaxy s3 with expendable micro sd slot. But I do want to get nexus 4 as well!!

From my personal usage, 16gig is simply not enough. I play lots of heavy games most of them from gameloft, each will take >1gig space and I do shot pictures videos and have tons of other applications installed as well.

I put videos, pictures and musics on sd card but still, only 2.3gig left on internal storage.

I know maybe vanilla android will be smaller than touchwiz but considering >10gig video and pictures that I have, 16gig just won't be enough .

Of course, you may not be like me and can use cloud storage. In the end, it's how you use your phone for the most, and regardless nexus 4 or other phones, it will be the same.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using xda app-developers app

I m coming from SGS3 16Gb+32Gb mem card.
And I had to adjust. I have some music (had to choose what I m not listening to too often, haha).
About 1.5 Gb of nandroid+5/600 mb of rom and flashable stuff.
I ve had to stop walking around with whole seasons of TV, that s for sure :) But it's doable.
In the end, no matter how much space you do have, it ll get filled up with things that you don't actually need, so that s OK to pick and chose ;) I ve got to say that I m not having any issue thinking about apps or not, I just get all in there and it fits!
So that s my experience, all in all, you have to think how to adjust, cause you ll have to do so.
Also, cloud storage? I ve got 1.8 Gb of data/month on my plan so yeah, that won't work. Since it s not when I m near Wi-Fi that I need to be mobile !

Last edited:

ruzkay

Sep 4, 2010
I wanna say that before I had the Nexus 4 I was thinking that 8GB is more than enough! And in my country there is only the 16GB version but boy I am glad that this was the case! On 16GB you have 12.92GB (don't ask me why theres 3GB less I don't know how system can take more than 1GB) and on 8GB you have only 5.67GB!

Now i have like 2,5GB free space left on my 16GB version! It is okay I wouldn't mind having more space though I didn't have any problems yet. But I noticed some games are very big if you are a games 16GB might be too small (I'm no gamer though most of my space is taken by music).

bustem

Feb 19, 2012
AW: Any felt the need of sd card yet?

My storage was full. but after getting rid of all the junk.. old roms etc it was ..ok:thumbup:

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda premium

graffixnyc

Retired Forum Mod / Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 21, 2011
New York City
www.graffixnyc.com
It has been a compromise for me. I'm also a musician and like to carry my entire music collection with me. I wasn't a fan of using the cloud because when I'm underground in the subway and I want to hear a song and if it's not cached I'm screwed. It has taken a bit of adjustment. I have a 32GB GS3 with a 64GB card and between music, videos, movies, pictures I filled more than half of the 64gb card.

I also don't have as many apps installed on my N4. I've definitely had to scale things down a bit. Although, I am having an easier time dealing with it then I thought I would.

jnewman1991

Jul 25, 2012
Austin, TX
I bought the 16 GB version and haven't needed one yet. I ended up buying a 32GB Nexus 7 which is mainly used for heavy games like Vice City and NFS, leaving me with quite a bit of storage left on my Nexus 4. I stream all my music from Google play since I have unlimited data and Wi-Fi is pretty much everywhere I go.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium

shad0wboss

Oct 6, 2010
Genève
Any comments on the performance compared to S3? physically as well? I know that adreno 320 is much better than the mali 400 but by how much?

molesarecoming

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 12, 2012
Berlin
It has been a compromise for me. I'm also a musician and like to carry my entire music collection with me. I wasn't a fan of using the cloud because when I'm underground in the subway and I want to hear a song and if it's not cached I'm screwed. It has taken a bit of adjustment. I have a 32GB GS3 with a 64GB card and between music, videos, movies, pictures I filled more than half of the 64gb card.

I also don't have as many apps installed on my N4. I've definitely had to scale things down a bit. Although, I am having an easier time dealing with it then I thought I would.

use google music. even when i used sd i couldnt put my collection on it, i had to cut it in half. with gm i have my entire collection with me whereever i go. i live in two countries with long travels in between without connection - its as easy as tapping on the stuff i wanna listen to while being offline. you can make it even easier if you use playlists. i wasnt sure about cloud either but the way i see it, it works pretty well. i'd even say better than cutting my collection in half to fit 32gb.

theabsurdman

May 26, 2010

did you read what i posted about wireless drives? might help you.

graffixnyc

Retired Forum Mod / Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 21, 2011
New York City
www.graffixnyc.com
use google music. even when i used sd i couldnt put my collection on it, i had to cut it in half. with gm i have my entire collection with me whereever i go. i live in two countries with long travels in between without connection - its as easy as tapping on the stuff i wanna listen to while being offline. you can make it even easier if you use playlists. i wasnt sure about cloud either but the way i see it, it works pretty well. i'd even say better than cutting my collection in half to fit 32gb.

I've been using GM. The only thing that sucks is sometimes I will be underground in the subway and feel like hearing a song out of the blue. If it's not a song that is cached then I'm out of luck.

did you read what i posted about wireless drives? might help you.

Yeah I did. But I don't know if I'd want to carry it around with me. For that I could just carry my GS3 with me :)

I really was turned off by the lack of storage on the N4(I wasn't going to get one for that only reason) but I'm making due. If anything it keeps me on top of keeping my phone tidy and organized because instead of just leaving everything on the SD card I now clean it out every couple days to remove stuff taking up space. And instead of having like 50 games installed I only have the ones I'm currently playing installed

shad0wboss

Oct 6, 2010
Genève
isn't there a way to unscrew the thing and replace the inner one? I think there's an inner sd card which can be replaced...I mean, my friend has htc mozart and it also doesn't have a proper slot for external card however if one unscrew the back, there's a card deep inside which can be replaced with a bigger one...Isn't it the same with Nexus 4?

phrami

May 24, 2012
For me 16 GB is plenty of space, the only thing I miss the SD slot for is easy transfer of files. I don't have to plug the phone in to transfer files.
I haven't tried the NFC / BT or WIFI (can;t use in corporate network) for file transfers.

Other than that I have been very happy with this phone, no root, stock ui, I am loving it.

PHR

calyxim

May 31, 2011
London
I have my nexus 7 for the movies and honestly I don't understand people watching movies on a tiny screen.
I also don't understand people who "knows" more than 2500 songs.
And the ones who can play 5 different game loft games on a daily basis.
So 12 isn't enough for obsessive compulsive people who has to have everything with them.
I bet they carry a huge bag stuffed with stuff as well. In case they suddenly happen to go on a holiday or something.