Astro Player Beta

Search This thread

Andrew Terekhine

Nov 17, 2009
Astro Player is a media player with audiobooks and podcasts support. AP has advanced bookmarking functionality. It introduces several unique features like fast playback, equalizer, and non-unicode tags support. Moreover, it shows lyrics, supports scrobbling, album art, has convenient file browser with play folder option. It's still in beta and could be unstable. Any suggestions or opinions are welcomed!

New thread in "Android Apps and Games": http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=7268951
Download: http://www.astroplayer.com/download/Astro Player Beta.apk

2010-07-16 1.40
Playlists: add several files or folders
Fixes in the music browser
New actions: fforward/rewind 1min, 2min, 3min, 15sec, custom
New skin TestSkin.xml has been created

2010-06-25 1.39
Album/artist browser
Stability fixes

2010-06-25 1.38
Stability fixes

2010-06-20 1.37
Lock screen widget with gestures and album art
WVGA screen and quit button fixes
Stability fixes

2010-06-04 1.35
Overall speed improvements
Audio stuttering fix
Background mode fix
Multiple covers per track
Stability fixes

2010-05-15 1.34
Stability fixes

2010-05-08 1.33
Hotkeys, buttons, actions organizer
Fetches missing album art
Podcasts improvements
New landscape design
Stability fixes

2010-04-10 1.32
Menu organizer fixes
Stability fixes

2010-04-03 1.31
Menu items configuration
Fixed long delay between tracks
Tags instead file names in the playlist
Adapted new design for Droid

2010-03-23 1.30
Widget fix
Loading screen fix

Last edited:

Christopher3712

Oct 2, 2007
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Initially it looks good. I'm still going through it and will edit this post i'm sure. The first thing I noticed was your directions on how to add files. Anyone with common sense would be able to figure it out, however, for those that can't figure it out- you need to darken the text. White instruction text on a light background is hard to read. Other than that, so far so good!

Andrew Terekhine

Nov 17, 2009
Thanks, Ok it will be addressed in the coming build. We have no such issues in other skins: e.g. menu > more > select view > main view.

Last edited:

PanzerGeist

Feb 9, 2010
Seattle, WA
Just installed. Initial impressions are good.
The UI when the screen is rotated 90 degrees is a bit off-putting (ran that way for five minutes before re-orienting and getting the WAY pretty interface).
EDIT: Just read your reply about other skins. Fixed my issue. I'm retarded.

I dig it. More to come and I use and abuse it.

Last edited:

xaueious

Dec 17, 2009
Toronto
I'm been looking for an audio player that displays lrc lyrics. Otherwise some basic tag editing out be a nice touch as well.

alabasta10

Aug 13, 2009
There's a lot potential in this player and what it can do when it is fully developed, I love the equalizer, I think, one of the first, if not the first music player that offer eq that works! :D but some presets are always welcomed to be more user-friendly.. just my 2-cents

Andrew Terekhine

Nov 17, 2009
Initially it looks good. I'm still going through it and will edit this post i'm sure. The first thing I noticed was your directions on how to add files. Anyone with common sense would be able to figure it out, however, for those that can't figure it out- you need to darken the text. White instruction text on a light background is hard to read. Other than that, so far so good!
It's fixed in #31

el_smurfo

Oct 21, 2009
Why does it need location and phone state permissions? I think I'll stick to the stock, non stalker player.

Andrew Terekhine

Nov 17, 2009
Phone state (READ_PHONE_STATE) is used for handling the headset button (we don't handle it while incoming phone call)
Location (ACCESS_COARSE_LOCATION) is used for ads

el_smurfo

Oct 21, 2009
Phone state (READ_PHONE_STATE) is used for handling the headset button (we don't handle it while incoming phone call)
Location (ACCESS_COARSE_LOCATION) is used for ads

Thanks for the clarification. I wish every dev listed out the exact use for each permission request.

Tried out the player and it's great. I tried "Music Folder Player" many times but it never worked properly with CM (wouldn't populate the playlist). This app creates a playlist from my default music folder and play them as designed...

Andrew Terekhine

Nov 17, 2009
Astro Player's new version 1.33 is now available.
Changes:
Hotkeys, buttons, actions organizer
Fetches missing album art
Podcasts improvements
New landscape design
Stability fixes

el_smurfo

Oct 21, 2009
Does it still cut out and/or stop playing when you switch to another process such as gmail?

Tyler1981

Feb 15, 2010
Hi,
I can't seem to search my music via Artists or Album, am i being stupid ?:confused: Most likely i am.
It just lists all songs in Alphabetical order according to Artist name.
I do like it though, works well on my HTC Desire, no bugs so far, screen works well, landscape and Potrait. Artwork is correct. HTC Headphones controls work. Will play more with it later tonight.

ptronius

May 12, 2010
When I added my music folder, I noticed that it lists all the invisible Mac-related metadata files that start with ._ If you could hide those files, it will keep folks from trying to play them - it looks like it might be locking up the player if I try to open one of them.

ehb224

Apr 3, 2010
Florida
The fetch album art function does not always fetch the correct art if there is more than one .jpg present. I have some folders with both front and back album art and it has been selecting the back album art. All the other music players I have tried have selected the correct .jpg or have an option to change the art. Is the program looking for a certain filename such as "folder.jpg" or "albumart.jpg"? Also, is the program able to fetch art from the internet? I have not been able to do so. I have only had art show up in folders that already have it present.
Other than that the player is excellent and I love the EQ! However, I second that presets would be very nice to include and get people started, as would giving frequencies for the EQ bands instead of just "High" and "Low" if this is possible to achieve.
Hope these suggestions are useful to you to improve what is one of the best media players I have tried (and I have tried every one that I can find!)

iHaos

Apr 29, 2010
Thx great app !
Also be cool if you made reset to dafault button in equalizer settings.

Last edited:
R

r3s-rt

Very nice. Two thumbs up, friend.

As for the lyrics option, is there a way we can have them to be possibly read from a txt file on sdcard? I'm just assuming you're going to use it with a website, of course. However, a lot of music, heavy metal for example, commonly lacks lyrics online.

Just a suggestion, and should be easily enough implemented.

Still, very nice application. =]