Root Dell Streak 7 HoneyComb

Search This thread

svibrant67

Aug 22, 2010
Hey guys, just got me a dell streak 7 with android 3.2. I really wanna root it, but I've read the instructions posted in the other threads & its just not making sense, can someone explain it easier? ON how to put the clockworkmod image on a sd card, etc...?

Thanks!

jhogal1

Nov 5, 2008
1. Download Fastboot+ADB.zip
2. UNzip the file and copy the whole folder to C:\
3. Assuming the name of the Field u unzipped is "Fastboot+ADB", rename thsi folder to ADB (I only rename the folder for simplicity when enter the path in command promt) also do some reading on how to install ADB
4. Now go to Start> Run. enter CMD in RUN
5. that should open a command prompt defaulted to C:\ Documents and Settings \XXXX (your could have different path XXXX here is additional path)
6. Now in Command prompt change directory to ADB folder (if u renamed folder in step 3) or Fastboot+ADB(if u didnt rename folder in step 3)
you initial path would be C:\ Documents and Settings \XXXX (your could have different path XXXX here is additional path)

now change directory C:\ Documents and Settings \CD C:\ADB \tools (if u renamed folder in step 3) and hit enter
now change directory C:\ Documents and Settings \CD C:\Fastboot+ADB\tools(if u didnt rename folder in step 3) and Hit enter
7. now your path would be C:\ADB \tools
8. C:\ADB \tools fastboot.exe (hit enter, that should give some commands that u can use with fastboot ).
9.Copy the File Clockwork mod 5.0.2.7 recovery.img(rename this to recovery.img) and superuser7.zipon to root directory of the internal Streak 7
10. now get your streak into Fastboot mode (look at Setting up fastboot for Windows -XDA wiki)
11. Connect your streak to computer and type fastboot flash recovery recovery.img (sample what it looks like i command prompt C:\ADB \tools fastboot.exe flash recovery recovery.img) and hit enter
12. u should some messages on your streak something like writing recover.img(the process dosent take no longer than 1 min MAX)
13. now open the SDcarf slot cover and do reset pushing into the pinhole next to SD card reader. teh streak will be turned off and with thsi your device should be CMW enabled

Rooting:
1. assuming your device is turned off, get the device into recover mode (see wiki how to get streak into recovery) and select update from update.zip(user volume rocker to navigate up and won and power button to select )
2. then after quick 2 secs that should give additional options (cant recall options as I don't have my streak with me right now) select the option where it says like Internal memory and navigate to update.zip and select the file. process would run for quick min or so and now once u see the process has complete select option to reboot device and that's it u are done.

Move this to Generic section, should not be in DEV

Last edited:

s14evil

Sep 20, 2010
stockton
Thanks for your help... It took me a bit... But it all worked out.. now to try some ICS...
Sent from my Dell Streak 7 using XDA App

Last edited:

cidand1

Jan 5, 2009
hey, i have an issue while using fastboot. apparently i am missing the drivers, and my DS7 and PC never get to communicate while my DS7 is in fastboot mode. I unzipped the fastboot plus drivers on my pc, and even tried to point via divice manager on PC, still not able to communicate. What do you think?
PC : AMD althon 64. Win7pro 64;
DS7: Andriod 2.2.2 kernel 2.6.32.09

cidand1

Jan 5, 2009
I still do not have the drivers.zip file on my ds7. Can someone email me theie drivers.zip file pls?

Last edited:

cidand1

Jan 5, 2009
Ya' I looked there. And its not there. Its missing from my ds7. If u can, it will help me out.

s14evil

Sep 20, 2010
stockton
I'll try and get the drivers up when I get home... Cant upload from mobile ... Try doing a Google search for the drivers....
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1258023
Sent from my Desire HD using XDA App

Last edited:

t69broken

Aug 7, 2008
Tried everything

Installed drivers so I can see my streak on my computer. But everytime I go to fastboot I get a ? fastboot when I type the devices command, and when I try to flash recovery says it can't find recovery. I'm running the stock honeycomb right now and would like to start trying some new roms. Any help would be appreciated.

s14evil

Sep 20, 2010
stockton
Installed drivers so I can see my streak on my computer. But everytime I go to fastboot I get a ? fastboot when I type the devices command, and when I try to flash recovery says it can't find recovery. I'm running the stock honeycomb right now and would like to start trying some new roms. Any help would be appreciated.

Make sure Adb fastboot and drivers are all in the same location... Mine is in C:Adb...
Next when you are in cmd, make sure type fastboot. Then its
Fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

Sent from my Desire HD using xda premium

t69broken

Aug 7, 2008
Make sure Adb fastboot and drivers are all in the same location... Mine is in C:Adb...
Next when you are in cmd, make sure type fastboot. Then its
Fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

Yep copied all drivers and some drivers I didn't need into that directory but still nothing.

And I am still getting a ? when looking for devices, its communicating with it because I can command reboot but not seeing the recovery partition for some reason.

Last edited:

t69broken

Aug 7, 2008
I really appreciate your help with this, I have done all of that but the drivers I copy from my DS7 does not have a setup.msi like his. it has a dpinst.exe but I get an error installing WINUSB

t69broken

Aug 7, 2008
Finally got it

If anyone ends up reading this, I got it to work but the recovery.img didn't need to be on your internal or your external SD card, it had to be in the same folder as the flashboot. WOO HOO 3 days of searching. FINALLY done.

s14evil

Sep 20, 2010
stockton
If anyone ends up reading this, I got it to work but the recovery.img didn't need to be on your internal or your external SD card, it had to be in the same folder as the flashboot. WOO HOO 3 days of searching. FINALLY done.
Good job.... I forgot to tell.you that ..

illdill

Feb 7, 2011
Nampa ID
3. Assuming the name of the Field u unzipped is "Fastboot+ADB", rename thsi folder to ADB (I only rename the folder for simplicity when enter the path in command promt) also do some reading on how to install ADB
5. that should open a command prompt defaulted to C:\ Documents and Settings \XXXX (your could have different path XXXX here is additional path)
6. Now in Command prompt change directory to ADB folder (if u renamed folder in step 3) or Fastboot+ADB(if u didnt rename folder in step 3)
you initial path would be C:\ Documents and Settings \XXXX (your could have different path XXXX here is additional path)

now change directory C:\ Documents and Settings \CD C:\ADB \tools (if u renamed folder in step 3) and hit enter
now change directory C:\ Documents and Settings \CD C:\Fastboot+ADB\tools(if u didnt rename folder in step 3) and Hit enter
8. C:\ADB \tools fastboot.exe (hit enter, that should give some commands that u can use with fastboot ).
9.Copy the File Clockwork mod 5.0.2.7 recovery.img(rename this to recovery.img) and superuser7.zipon to root directory of the internal Streak 7
10. now get your streak into Fastboot mode (look at Setting up fastboot for Windows -XDA wiki)
11. Connect your streak to computer and type fastboot flash recovery recovery.img (sample what it looks like i command prompt C:\ADB \tools fastboot.exe flash recovery recovery.img) and hit enter
12. u should some messages on your streak something like writing recover.img(the process dosent take no longer than 1 min MAX)
13. now open the SDcarf slot cover and do reset pushing into the pinhole next to SD card reader. teh streak will be turned off and with thsi your device should be CMW enabled

Rooting:
1. assuming your device is turned off, get the device into recover mode (see wiki how to get streak into recovery) and select update from update.zip(user volume rocker to navigate up and won and power button to select )
2. then after quick 2 secs that should give additional options (cant recall options as I don't have my streak with me right now) select the option where it says like Internal memory and navigate to update.zip and select the file. process would run for quick min or so and now once u see the process has complete select option to reboot device and that's it u are done.

Umm where are we getting the update.zip file that is referred to in the last paragraph? And what if CWM isn't mounting the SDcard or internal memory?

Reactions: ferchorama

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Rooting:

Rooting:

Umm where are we getting the update.zip file that is referred to in the last paragraph? And what if CWM isn't mounting the SDcard or internal memory?
    And what if CWM isn't mounting the SDcard or internal memory?
    If you using CWM S7_3.2-5.0.x.x, I believe it's been a known issue for some time.
    Then how are you suposed to flash a file if you can't see them? Is there another way around?
    I don't know but some threads get OT and one post listed which CWM works with which ROM. I don't remember it all but IIRC, if your using HC or HS you should use S7_3.2-4.0.1.4 and I think Froyo ROMs must use lower version numbers.