Wireless Hotspot hack procedure *Working*

Search This thread

biKF

Aug 4, 2011
My problem wasn't Entitlement Check

I was using the stock mobile hotspot and although I could connect to the hotspot from other devices and my XT925 could itself access the Internet, connected devices couldn't access the Internet.

After installing the SQLite app I found that the Entitlement Check was already set to '0'. After some research, I found that I had to add 'dun' to my APN type in my APN settings. It's odd as my APN settings were exactly the same as I was using on my LG Nitro HD with the same provider.

mepstein10

Feb 7, 2012
Danville
I was using the stock mobile hotspot and although I could connect to the hotspot from other devices and my XT925 could itself access the Internet, connected devices couldn't access the Internet.

After installing the SQLite app I found that the Entitlement Check was already set to '0'. After some research, I found that I had to add 'dun' to my APN type in my APN settings. It's odd as my APN settings were exactly the same as I was using on my LG Nitro HD with the same provider.

This is the X926, the Verizon version, so I am unsure if that will work that way for me. Also I cannot edit the APN. I can add a new one, but I cannot edit the ones I have. Any suggestions? Anyone on verizon got this to work willing to help?

Last edited:

adaboy078

Mar 30, 2011
Stock Tether

This is the X926, the Verizon version, so I am unsure if that will work that way for me. Also I cannot edit the APN. I can add a new one, but I cannot edit the ones I have. Any suggestions? Anyone on verizon got this to work willing to help?

I am coming from the Samsung fascinate, which i rooted and played with custom roms with for the entire life of the phone. I was able to get the Rzr Maxx HD two days ago without loosing my unlimited data. After reading through this and other forums I have two questions still.

1) Is it possible to do a wire tether or mobile hotspot with the RM HD without rooting?
2) How much different is rooting a motorola phone versus a Samsung?
** For clarification, I never had any reservations about going deeper into development tweaks and custom roms with my samsung because I was confident I could always return it to factory stock

Thanks in advance all

LifeAsADroid

Sep 17, 2012
Awesomeville, USA
I am coming from the Samsung fascinate, which i rooted and played with custom roms with for the entire life of the phone. I was able to get the Rzr Maxx HD two days ago without loosing my unlimited data. After reading through this and other forums I have two questions still.

1) Is it possible to do a wire tether or mobile hotspot with the RM HD without rooting?
2) How much different is rooting a motorola phone versus a Samsung?
** For clarification, I never had any reservations about going deeper into development tweaks and custom roms with my samsung because I was confident I could always return it to factory stock

Thanks in advance all

1) No, unless you want to pay for the "Wireless Hotspot" app from Verizon. Tether I think is possible, but just root the d@mn phone.

2) Look up the rooting threads for the RMaxxHD and just do it. Very simple, you're going to feel like an idiot that you asked about it.

juicejoeup

Jan 3, 2013
Has anyone figured out a solution? Sqlite hack has always worked fine for me but I can't get internet access on my devices when using my xt926. Any ideas?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using xda app-developers app

34Ford

Mar 17, 2011
North Carolina
So if I were to go today and buy a maxx hd and it has ics on it, is there a way to prevent it from updating to jb hoping they get foxfi working? I would like to tether my transformer tf101.

34Ford

Mar 17, 2011
North Carolina
Ok thats good. Now this whole thread is about tethering thru wifi. So why cant you tether thru bluetooth, or can you?

If not, then I may go with a Galaxy S3 cause I have a friend that is now tethering his tf101 thru the BT and its on JB 4.1.1 without Verizon knowing.

dvgb173

Ok thats good. Now this whole thread is about tethering thru wifi. So why cant you tether thru bluetooth, or can you?

If not, then I may go with a Galaxy S3 cause I have a friend that is now tethering his tf101 thru the BT and its on JB 4.1.1 without Verizon knowing.

I currently BT tether my N7 thru my Verizon Maxx HD. I can't use WiFi at work. However I am not able to download anything, get attachments, or update apps that way.

Doug B.

Deckard_9732

Oct 30, 2010
Fremont, CA.
Hey guys...If you go to the Google development website android-wifi-tether (Wireless Tether for Root Users) http://code.google.com/p/android-wifi-tether/ and download the apk - wifi_tether_v3_2-beta2.apk. Just go to 'Settings' > 'Change Device-Profile' > select "Generic ICS/JB (wlan0). Enter your SSID and Passphrase and it works great without having to purchase an app. Note: I have tried wifi_tether_v3_3-pre1 & 2.apk and can confirm that they do not work with VZW Razr HD XT926. Enjoy the Free Stuff!!!!:good:

tech_head

Hey guys...If you go to the Google development website android-wifi-tether (Wireless Tether for Root Users) http://code.google.com/p/android-wifi-tether/ and download the apk - wifi_tether_v3_2-beta2.apk. Just go to 'Settings' > 'Change Device-Profile' > select "Generic ICS/JB (wlan0). Enter your SSID and Passphrase and it works great without having to purchase an app. Note: I have tried wifi_tether_v3_3-pre1 & 2.apk and can confirm that they do not work with VZW Razr HD XT926. Enjoy the Free Stuff!!!!:good:

This does work +1.

Waterickson

Aug 31, 2006
thanks

once again XDA members set me right! WiFi working! now if I could only tone down that google maps voice on the last upgrade.

kep1a

Mar 13, 2013
Thanks!

I rooted my Maxx HD but had major speed issues with the WIFI tether apps I got only about 0.9kbps down but 2.8 mbps upload speed. Followed this tutorial and now I have about 6.7mbps down and 3.4mbps up using the internal WIFI hot spot app. I'm so pleased with that and I'm so grateful for the tutorial that made this as simple as answering a phone call :angel:

One question though? Can Verizon figure out I'm using tethered data with this work around? I am a grandfathered unlimited data user if that matters.

I use easytether pro USB teathering most of the time but WIFI is required to give data access to my android tablet, so this is really a must have feature or no mobile data on the tablet.

Thanks again!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ****** UPDATE - Foxfi is no longer free - This hack still works!*******

Hi guys another poster tipped me off to the entilement hack to get the stock hotspot app working and I tried it and it works. I figured i would post it here to take care of people waiting for a foxfi update and to keep the procedure listed in the RAZR HD section. As always, use at your own risk.

Here's what you need:

SQL Lite Editor (not the manager) - it's $2.99 from the play store.

Here is the procedure:

1) Open SQL Lite Editor and in the default "Apps" list, scroll all the way down to "Settings Storage" but you must choose the one with the hammer and wrench graphic. There are two choices there - gotta be hammer and wrench. Tap on it to open.

2) Tap "settings.db" then tap "settings"

3) Scroll down to line 68 where it says "entitlement_check" and tap on it to highlight it and then tap on the pencil on the top of the screen to edit it.

4) Change the value from 1 to 0 and tap "save"

5) Use the back button to exit the app and hold the power button and reboot the phone.

When it starts back up just go into the "Mobile Hotspot" app provided by verizon and you're all set!

Hope this helps.
    You talking about this mod in this thread when you say wifi tether, or something else?
    Thanks

I'm talking about the WiFi Tether app.

First root and then download v3.2 Beta 2 from here:

https://code.google.com/p/android-wifi-tether/

Then go into the app and go to settings->Change Device-Profile and choose "generic ICS/JB (wlan0)"

That seems to work best on this device (read that somewhere else on the forums.)

I'm using that method and it works great.
    I know I'm enjoying my Razr Maxx HD.. Even though I finally had to charge it after 24+ hours of use.. Sending this post via my iPhone 5! (Don't hate, I'm an equal opportunity user)

Sent from my iPhone 5
    I am using the 'entitlement_check' workaround on my Verizon 9.18.94.XT926 (Razr Maxx HD). It is rooted but locked.

When I activate the mobile hotspot on my cell, my computer and others' phones are able to see the activate hotspot. However, my PS3 and tablet (Nexus 7) do not see my cell's hotspot. What is even more baffling, is that when I use FoxFi, the PS3 and tablet see my cell's hotspot, no problem. Does this have something to do with the DHCP settings or what? Many thanks!