[DISCUSSION] Android "L" and our Cappi

Search This thread
7249I4A.png

Well, the title says it all. (well, most of it)
Do you think our phone can handle the new android "L" Update? I mean we know the basic sacrifices we have to take to have a newer OS than ICS: No bluetooth head set support...also our CPU doesn't support NEON instructions. Aside from that it runs KitKat amazingly well! I mean its really smooth! I can remember when we first got KitKat on our Cappi. @bubor Compiled Omni ROM 4.4.1. It was so cool but so unstable! But then Came along android 4.4.2 and bubor fixed the tegra 2 support issue.After that leap of faith we now have a very very smooth,stable,and fast KitKat! So enough of me ranting on and on about how far and good our phone is, do you think theres any life and if its worth it to port 'L" when it debuts? Or will the new android "L" 5.0 have new libs so no more ROMs?

Also if you want the new android "L" 5.0 apps see this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2796019

Last edited:

Adam77Root

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 3, 2012
Based on what we know now, I'd say the Cappy will run L. Don't have to worry about system libs as those are compiled from source with the instructions you specify. Main question is what changes in SurfaceFlinger / MediaServer, but based on what we know I don't think there'd be problems. Screencasting might not work, but that's not a big problem I think.

Little nitpick: Those are NEON instructions, not threads. :)

Reactions: D™ and Nikhil
May Take time.

I would love nothing more than to have the latest crispiest android.
but honestly i think that .. THAT will require more developers for our phone.. i mean while i agree that we have a decen no of custom roms.
but i still think that all the pressure is mainly on bubor ... if only we could have more people.

Also i still think that development for the 4.4.x should finish before we continue on to higher upgrades.
there are still alot of bugs and we could certainly use a lil more people contributing to help out...

While i love the idea of a new upgrade i am honestly VERY VERY Satisfied with kitkat it looks good and feels smoother that ever.
while implementation of ART may help . . i think that we have already maxed out our device

BrandonE97

Mar 8, 2014
Cedar Bluff
I would love nothing more than to have the latest crispiest android.
but honestly i think that .. THAT will require more developers for our phone.. i mean while i agree that we have a decen no of custom roms.
but i still think that all the pressure is mainly on bubor ... if only we could have more people.

Also i still think that development for the 4.4.x should finish before we continue on to higher upgrades.
there are still alot of bugs and we could certainly use a lil more people contributing to help out...

While i love the idea of a new upgrade i am honestly VERY VERY Satisfied with kitkat it looks good and feels smoother that ever.
while implementation of ART may help . . i think that we have already maxed out our device

Very true, I'm loving the KitKat Roms for our Cappy Glide. I'm personally using ART now with the latest CM 4.4.4 Rom Bubor makes. I'm very thankful that Bubor puts so much work into this old but still useful phone. I'm wanting to become more involved in helping where I can here. I can only do thorough testing though, I don't know how to develop roms or apps... yet. Maybe someday I'll learn.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Based on what we know now, I'd say the Cappy will run L. Don't have to worry about system libs as those are compiled from source with the instructions you specify. Main question is what changes in SurfaceFlinger / MediaServer, but based on what we know I don't think there'd be problems. Screencasting might not work, but that's not a big problem I think.

Little nitpick: Those are NEON instructions, not threads. :)