[Q] External Battery with KitKat?

Search This thread

Razorless

Aug 10, 2008
Since most third party chargers don't work anymore with the KitKat update, did anyone try an external battery?

dt33

Apr 11, 2010
All chargers works, just depends on cable and not chargers or kitkat. You get faster(slwoer charging depends on charger and quality of the cable.
For u question, I used Trent 11000 mah external battery pack, 5V 1Amp and with 3rd part usb cable, that are only for charging, without "data pins". It charging at 500 mah when screen is on, screen off at 930-980 mah and working as normal.

I dont know where u get that kitkat have anything to do with 3rd part chargers doesnt works.

Razorless

Aug 10, 2008
All chargers works, just depends on cable and not chargers or kitkat. You get faster(slwoer charging depends on charger and quality of the cable.
For u question, I used Trent 11000 mah external battery pack, 5V 1Amp and with 3rd part usb cable, that are only for charging, without "data pins". It charging at 500 mah when screen is on, screen off at 930-980 mah and working as normal.

I dont know where u get that kitkat have anything to do with 3rd part chargers doesnt works.

Well my third party chargers stop charging when the screen turns off. Even if I use the USB cable that came with the Note. However, old chargers of HTC or Motorola phones do work with any USB cable. And I have read this from several other users as well.

I'm on stock 4.4.2 with stock recovery. What recovery/kernel/ROM do you use?

dt33

Apr 11, 2010
Well my third party chargers stop charging when the screen turns off. Even if I use the USB cable that came with the Note. However, old chargers of HTC or Motorola phones do work with any USB cable. And I have read this from several other users as well.

I'm on stock 4.4.2 with stock recovery. What recovery/kernel/ROM do you use?
The problem is Samsungs OEMs usb cable. I found it kinda weird, probably Samsungs have some kinda "handshake" with data pins and I got few of them from old Note 1/2/2014 and somehow it doesnt charge mine old Note 2 anylonger.
I got 4 of Samsunsg OEMs USB cables that comes along with Note 1/2/2014/EED100 (Desktop chagerstand) and I dont know anylonger which one is for each device. If I use wrong Samsungs usb cable, it charge mine Note 2 very slow, battery also drops while charging and I got to pick right usb cable for it to charge normal.

Now I just use this usb cable to charge mine Note 2014, too lazy to swap cable until find correct one and it works fine with any charger.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PortaPow-Hi...ories_MobilePhoneChargers&hash=item4ac6919243

Mine Note 2014 is rooted with stock recovery/kernel (4.4.2 HK version)

Razorless

Aug 10, 2008
I only use third party chargers and cables and have never had a problem.
That's really intersting. Are you on stock ROM?
The problem is Samsungs OEMs usb cable....
Mine Note 2014 is rooted with stock recovery/kernel (4.4.2 HK version)
I tried using the Note charger with different USB cables and it works. Using third party chargers with Note cable does not work, but using HTC/Motorola chargers with any cable does. So I think the problem is with the charger, not the cable. Are you sure you used the Note charger with diferent cables and it didn't work?

Using a 1.0A charger charges the device obviuosly slower but the third party chargers (also 1.0A) stop when the screen is off or the device is powered down.

Last edited:

Razorless

Aug 10, 2008
Alright, I'm now officially out of ideas why this only affects some devices. Would you mind telling me what model you have?

Mine is a 605 LTE

Razorless

Aug 10, 2008
Might be it's a bug in the 605 ROM/kernel. Or maybe related to the snapdragon 800 chip. Maybe Samsung screwed up some drivers, intentionally or not.

kcrudup

Mar 27, 2007
San Francisco Bay Area
If anyone is having charge issues, change your cables. There's nothing special about a "Samsung" cable, but there's a lot of cheap cables out there that have enough voltage drop on them that they won't allow adequate charging. Also, make sure your charger is doing "AC" charging, not "USB" charging- the Note won't draw more than 500mA from USB charging and you may either experience slow charging or none at all if you're using it.

I'm running a P607T (US T-Mobile) model with the German P605 ROM (which should rule out "locale" differences), and my Note charges from any third-party charger I have and/or my Gorilla Gadgets charger battery just fine, whether screen is on or off.

Razorless

Aug 10, 2008
Like I said before, my third party charger stops charging when the screen turns off, even if I use the cable that came with the Note. In settings under battery it says "charging - AC" but still.
It may very well be that these chargers are too "cheap".

lecorbusier

Nov 28, 2012
Samsung Galaxy S5
LG G6
The Samsung cable misses one of the two ground connectors. This method was used for devices with mini (!) usb to put them either in power or data transfer mode, depending on the cable used.
However, the Note don't care, I charge it with a 5pin-cable.
The charger should be fully Android - and Apple compatible, as the Note most likely checks for Ipad-compatible signals on the data lines for 2A support.

atonal

May 21, 2012
The USB Port of the P600 is really weird.....I`m searching a long time for a solution to use USB and charging at the same time, and I`m testing a lot of dockingg Stations for this.....thats really strange.....the Multimedia Dock, made for the Note 2, works with the Note 3, without Problems, alll Ports are working....but P600 doesnt accept it as any docking stations, it do absolutely NOTHING, if you put it in.....with the new desktop dock (without usb) both devices will accept it as an "Docking Station"...other Adapters, like Hama, with SD Card Reader, USB and micro USB, will accept as an USB connector, all works, but not charging......but now, the LAN to USB Adapter from Samsung for the PRO Tab Series, wich have 2 x USB, LAN and Charging Inputs, works fine, except the LAN Port......think, there no drivers there at P600.....The USB Port is not same pinned as the Note 3, and also not same as the Note 10.1 and other older Tabs.......maybe it`s same pinned as the PRO Series.....but not sure......

Gesendet von meinem SM-P600 mit Tapatalk