[Q] Why can't I create my EXT4 Partition?

Search This thread

proadi96

Mar 12, 2011
Enniscorthy (Ireland,Wexford)
As title says , im unable to create the EXT4 partition on my SD Card. I have 2 SD Cards one 8GB class 2 , and other one 32GB class 10. Normally i use my 8GB class 2 card but I wanted to change it to the bigger one because the 8GB is not enough for me . I've 7GB Fat32 and 1GB EXT4 on it working perfectly , i partitioned it in the 4EXT recovery. Although , I wanted to change it with my other 32GB card. Everything seems to be perfect, i supposed to create the 1GB EXT4 again but... after partitioning i go to "info" it doesnt show me the EXT4 partition unfortunately ...just saying that my ext is not formatted , but i cant format it because i didnt create it :mad: on my 8GB SD Card it shows that i have the ext4 partition, but on the 32GB it doesnt... and the problem is i cant boot up any ROM with it :( could anyone help me with this? I really want to use the 32GB card but i cant for now :(

proadi96

Mar 12, 2011
Try doing the formatting with Gparted.

Hey Chromium :) Yeah so, I tried to partition the SD Card with Gparted but unfortunately , when I booted it up , I cant see my SD Card info.. Only the PC Partitions. Could the problem be that , my phone is in 4ext recovery?? I did turn on the Disk Drive from recoery but Gparted still cant see it. I tried several times "Search for devices" in Gparted but didnt help. Any idea bro? I never did it with the Gparted , i always partitioned my SD card by recovieres or Minitool Partition so im not used to it :D

Chromium

Oct 5, 2012
Toronto
chromium1.blogspot.ca
Hey Chromium :) Yeah so, I tried to partition the SD Card with Gparted but unfortunately , when I booted it up , I cant see my SD Card info.. Only the PC Partitions. Could the problem be that , my phone is in 4ext recovery?? I did turn on the Disk Drive from recoery but Gparted still cant see it. I tried several times "Search for devices" in Gparted but didnt help. Any idea bro? I never did it with the Gparted , i always partitioned my SD card by recovieres or Minitool Partition so im not used to it :D

Did you follow the partition instructions for gparted here?

proadi96

Mar 12, 2011
Of course man ... But on the step that I should see the PC partitions along with the SD Card , There is no SD Card :( there are 3 ntfs partitions and the Unallocated Space one. I don't know what's the problem really :(

Sent from my HTC Desire using xda premium

proadi96

Mar 12, 2011
Thats what is showing up even with card reader :(

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1394335618599.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1394335618599.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 50

proadi96

Mar 12, 2011
The fault was the laptop I tried on my other PC and it worked (I could see the partitions )i succesfully formated it by Gparted , but in phones recovery in the "Info" option the SD-EXT is still not formatted .. 30gb is fat32 , 1gb sd-ext and 30mb swap (I don't need it , but I really want to use this SD card so I just did everything like in the guide even if I wouldn't need it). I dont know If the problem is the SD card itself or..

Last edited:

eddiehk6

Dec 18, 2010
London
The fault was the laptop I tried on my other PC and it worked (I could see the partitions )i succesfully formated it by Gparted , but in phones recovery in the "Info" option the SD-EXT is still not formatted .. 30gb is fat32 , 1gb sd-ext and 30mb swap (I don't need it , but I really want to use this SD card so I just did everything like in the guide even if I wouldn't need it). I dont know If the problem is the SD card itself or..

Try without swap, you don't need it. It should be removed from the guide

Both partitions primary, FAT32 first (on the left) and the ext4 second (on the right)

What ROM are you trying it with? Have you checked whether apps are actually installing to the partition with something like DiskUsage?

proadi96

Mar 12, 2011
Try without swap, you don't need it. It should be removed from the guide

Both partitions primary, FAT32 first (on the left) and the ext4 second (on the right)

What ROM are you trying it with? Have you checked whether apps are actually installing to the partition with something like DiskUsage?

I tried it on Beanstalk ROM. The problem is, when I make sdext partition on 32gb sd card, and I tey to boot up the phone goes to bootloop :/ even if i install ROM with this card in while flashing, the ROM still wont boot up :( so I cant check if the partition is working in this way :( My 1000 post, I feel happy to be here so long :)

eddiehk6

Dec 18, 2010
London
I tried it on Beanstalk ROM. The problem is, when I make sdext partition on 32gb sd card, and I tey to boot up the phone goes to bootloop :/ even if i install ROM with this card in while flashing, the ROM still wont boot up :( so I cant check if the partition is working in this way :( My 1000 post, I feel happy to be here so long :)

- Have you tried partitioning the card completely from scratch again, max 2GB ext4, no swap?

- Does 4EXT recovery see and check that the partitions are aligned?

- Tried installing a different ROM which requires an sd-ext partition just to try something else and get it booting?

If you've tried all the steps, could be a bad card though unlikely in my experience.