Is Evo 4g on its last breath?

Search This thread

JKDLBC

Dec 20, 2010
Long Beach, CA
plus.google.com
With less and less devs working on the Evo 4G nowadays, I ask, is Evo 4G officially being forced to retire? I myself even went to check on upgrading to the 3VO. It's no fun without any new Roms to play with. Being a flashoholic, I'm suffering from withdrawal, and it's hard to deal with.:(

mattykinsx

Jul 7, 2010
Check out the latest updates. I've seen only two in the last few days. Look at the 3D forum, it's on fire.

Newer devices are going to have more support than older.

However, it's also true that the source code for Gingerbread for the Evo was only released a few days ago.

recklis

Aug 2, 2011
I don’t know, it looks like we shall be set free, in good time but in a "registered" kind of way. At least that is what I am getting from 3D forums and the f+Bk page.

JKDLBC

Dec 20, 2010
Long Beach, CA
plus.google.com
I could be wrong about all of this, but to me, the writing is on the wall. I really feel the demise of EVO 4G, as far as development standpoint. The latest talks is that most of the devs are jumping ship. I mean, can you really blame them. Great phone that has been improved. I've even seen what could be called a collection plates to get certain devs 3VOs. No disrespect to anyone doing. Hard/good work should not go without its just reward.

ckoadiyn

Jan 23, 2010
I think there just isn't anything new really other then kernels no new OS atm to play we have sense up to 3.0 and why port much much more? I do see improvments in each ROM though just slower EVO 3d is hoping cause they don't have anything

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA Premium App

mattykinsx

Jul 7, 2010
I think there just isn't anything new really other then kernels no new OS atm to play we have sense up to 3.0 and why port much much more? I do see improvments in each ROM though just slower EVO 3d is hoping cause they don't have anything

Yeah, it is important to understand that the big rush in the beginning is:

1) Get root
2) Wait for Source code
3) Fix **** ups from the manufacturer
4) Make modifications [possibly from other devices] to improve Android overall.

It's been over a year, all that's been done. While improvements are still coming constantly...the bulk of that work for the Evo is, well, done.

TheZen

May 3, 2010

1) Get root
2) Wait for Source code

It's been over a year, all that's been done. While improvements are still coming constantly...the bulk of that work for the Evo is, well, done.

I have to agree here. I think a lot of people have gotten into the habit of changing ROMs on a way too frequent basis, to the point where they're switching weekly with 4-6 Nandroid backups of different ROMs so they can jump around as much as they want.

That list above is the true goal of Android development. If I find a good ROM, and there's relatively little bugs (especially less than stock), looks great, gives me something flashy (like Sense 3.0) I can be satisfied for months at a time, not even updating most of that time.

Unless there is something that has yet to be perfected on the EVO, development could halt right now and it wouldn't hurt what we already have. Look at all the things that's been done for the EVO since release:

Wireless N
HDMI-to-TV mirroring
Hacked hotspot
Notification bar power controls
4G on CM7
Hacked Hulu (which is now pointless, but eh)

...and more I just can't remember right now because I haven't had my morning coffee yet. The EVO has actually evolved (no pun intended) over the last year and 2 months, and like any piece of hardware, we're going to reach the limits. But the EVO has shaped the future of Android forever, and that's what we need to remember most.

Our community has created some of the most amazing pieces of code Android has ever seen, and that will only get better with the 3D. Time to move on...if I had the money, I'd get the 3D too, but that's just because I can't root my replacement EVO...

Reactions: filmaker

JKDLBC

Dec 20, 2010
Long Beach, CA
plus.google.com

1) Get root
2) Wait for Source code

That is my point. We have reached the pinnacle, when it comes to development for the EVO. As a dev, why wouldn't you feel it's time to move on? Their work here is done. The writing is on the wall guys. The most they can do is make minor mods here. The next challenge is 3VO or some other device. I will not mention those other devices by name, I am EVO.

Justin.G11

Dec 9, 2010
Orange County, CA
I think there's a huge difference between "end of dev cycle" and "device is on last breath".

Is your evo having any problems running anything? Are you not on the latest android 2.3.5?

CM still has nightlies, miui still has weeklies, only thing really slower is sense and the only one to blame there is htc (and possibly yourself for wasting your time with sense).

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA App

modmandan

May 6, 2010
Puyallup, Wa.
I think there's a huge difference between "end of dev cycle" and "device is on last breath".

Is your evo having any problems running anything? Are you not on the latest android 2.3.5?

CM still has nightlies, miui still has weeklies, only thing really slower is sense and the only one to blame there is htc (and possibly yourself for wasting your time with sense).

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA App

I completely agree here. My EVO is doing everything I could possibly want! We "may" be seeing the end of OS development for this phone, but now their concentrating on kernels now that the source has been out for a couple of weeks.

Afro Samurai

Dec 8, 2008
Chicago,IL
I think saying last breath is alittle strong. As far as anything else that can be developed rom-wise maybe. This is still going to be a serviceable phone for quite some time. If you are a person with flash issues you might have a problem. To me once kernels get perfected you shouldn't have to flash like a maniac anyway. Honestly I think the only other thing to perfect now is hdmi and personally I could care less but that's just me. I'm going 3d later this month and the Mrs gets my OG EVO. For her this will be a beast of a phone. Writing on the wall yes, last breath, far from it.

Peace

JKDLBC

Dec 20, 2010
Long Beach, CA
plus.google.com
I think saying last breath is alittle strong. As far as anything else that can be developed rom-wise maybe. This is still going to be a serviceable phone for quite some time. If you are a person with flash issues you might have a problem. To me once kernels get perfected you shouldn't have to flash like a maniac anyway. Honestly I think the only other thing to perfect now is hdmi and personally I could care less but that's just me. I'm going 3d later this month and the Mrs gets my OG EVO. For her this will be a beast of a phone. Writing on the wall yes, last breath, far from it.

Peace

I do not believe this statement is too strong at all. Technology moves at a very rapid pace. Once something hits the shelves it's already old technology. Lets take the iPad (yes, I dare to mention this) for example. This was once a revolutionary product, except now, we have the Tablet, the Eee Pad, the iPad2, etc. You yourself even call it by the name OG EVO, which usually signifies something old. So yes, SIR, I do dare say that the EVO is on its last breath.

P.S Trade-in your EVO for a $125 credit toward the 3VO

Last edited:

Afro Samurai

Dec 8, 2008
Chicago,IL
I guess we look at last breath differently. To me last breath means no more support. Apps no longer supported etc. But we are different people and view things differently.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

1) Get root
    2) Wait for Source code

I have to agree here. I think a lot of people have gotten into the habit of changing ROMs on a way too frequent basis, to the point where they're switching weekly with 4-6 Nandroid backups of different ROMs so they can jump around as much as they want.

That list above is the true goal of Android development. If I find a good ROM, and there's relatively little bugs (especially less than stock), looks great, gives me something flashy (like Sense 3.0) I can be satisfied for months at a time, not even updating most of that time.

Unless there is something that has yet to be perfected on the EVO, development could halt right now and it wouldn't hurt what we already have. Look at all the things that's been done for the EVO since release:

Wireless N
    HDMI-to-TV mirroring
    Hacked hotspot
    Notification bar power controls
    4G on CM7
    Hacked Hulu (which is now pointless, but eh)

...and more I just can't remember right now because I haven't had my morning coffee yet. The EVO has actually evolved (no pun intended) over the last year and 2 months, and like any piece of hardware, we're going to reach the limits. But the EVO has shaped the future of Android forever, and that's what we need to remember most.

Our community has created some of the most amazing pieces of code Android has ever seen, and that will only get better with the 3D. Time to move on...if I had the money, I'd get the 3D too, but that's just because I can't root my replacement EVO...