[App] Battery Icon Mod 1.0

Search This thread

theimpaler747

Retired Forum Mod / Retired Recognized Developer
See second post for updates and info about the current status of this project.

Credit for this also goes to a wonderful app developer, appelflap, who wrote the app, provides excellent support and will receive thanks and part of the contributions from the donate version on the market. He is a fantastic developer; I urge everyone who would donate to me to send some his way as well :)

General Description
Battery Icon Mod is a general app (root required) for turning the standard battery icon into something more useful and more sophisticated.

The (ambitious) goal is to serve mods with this app for as many devices as possible. See second post for the devices/roms that are currently supported.

Important
;) Make a nandroid backup. I've written a very simple guide how to do this with Rom Manager here. (Really it costs you only a minute or so. Very easy to do)
If you apply a wrong version or you stumble upon a corrupted one (although all versions are tested)... you may ending up with a unbootable device. In that case you have to flash your firmware again... OR just do a simple restore of your backup :) (I will describe a general restore procedure later on)
;) Only choose the version that matches your device and rom. Also make sure that the rom version matches your current rom.
Sometimes [/I]mods for a particular rom will also work on another rom. However that's not the rule, more an exception. If you try, make sure you have a backup of your system.

Requests
If your device/rom isn't supported post a request with a copy of your framework-res.apk (it's in the /system/framework directory) with a description of the device and rom you have.
Note: The international Samsung Galaxy S (GT-I9000) will still be supported by this app. Post your requests there. Later these two projects will be merged together.'

Screenshots

sc20101229164305.png
22705401.png

Themers and modders
Like to share your modded framework-res.apk? Post it in this thread (with a description of course of the device and rom it is supposed to run on) and we will put a link to it in the app.

Credits
To all modders and to theimpaler747 who made the first steps of this general project possible, and for appelflap, who is an excellent and supportive app developer who does things with apps I cannot :). And of course the guys behind UOT Kitchen, who made this work so much more easy. Thanks.

Donations
There's a donation version in the Android Market (search for: Battery Icon Mod). Donations are mainly for paying the server that hosts the mods, and for putting these mods together (theimpaler747). Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

appelflap

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 9, 2008
Utrecht
Unfortunately, but needed at this moment:

Two (not tested) restore procedures for if you have a boot loop and didn't make a Nandroid backup.

Both methods require that you have adb installed. If not, download the Android SDK from here: http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html and find the adb program in the subdirectory "platform-tools".

Method 1 - update.zip method:
Create your own update.zip with which you install the backup of the modified file back in restore mode.
The instructions for this and the tool needed for it can be downloaded here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17635874/restore.zip
CREDITS: The tool/script that is used to create the update.zip is another brilliant tool of the creator of APK Manager: Daneshm90. The thread of this tool can be found here (another pearl I found on xda-dev lately :) (I had to repackage it to make the restore procedure simpler)

Method 2 - shell method
Install and run SuperOneClick and choose "Shell Root"

Start ADB, wait for the # prompt and enter the following commands:
  1. #busybox mount -o remount,rw /system (or mount -o ro,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system if there's no busybox)
  2. #rm /system/framework/framework-res.apk
  3. #cp /sdcard/framework-res.apk /system/framework/framework-res.apk
  4. #chown root.root /system/framework/framework-res.apk
  5. #chmod 644 /system/framework/framework-res.apk
  6. #reboot

Again these methods are not fully tested. They "should" work. Feedback is very much appreciated.
(Nevertheless if these methods don't work it should get your guys going in searching in the right direction to get out of a boot looper)

Last edited:

theimpaler747

Retired Forum Mod / Retired Recognized Developer
Reserved here from me, thanks appelflap for compiling ours together into a nice application! :) More phones to come, and please donate to help buy server space if you enjoy this! Thank you :D

List of currently supported devices!

• GT-I9000
  • Epic 4G
  • HTC Hero CDMA
  • Nexus One
  • HTC Magic
  • Samsung Intercept
  • HTC Desire HD
  • Droid 1
  • Droid Incredible
  • HTC Evo
  • HTC Hero GSM
  • Dell Streak
  • Nexus S
  • Evo Shift
  • Others I can't recall right now :p

More always on the way! :)

Last edited:

chumpysv

Sep 28, 2010
When this is up and running on the evo with myns rom, I'll be all over this. Awesome looking app, can't wait to try it out

Sent from my HTC EVO using XDA app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    See second post for updates and info about the current status of this project.

Credit for this also goes to a wonderful app developer, appelflap, who wrote the app, provides excellent support and will receive thanks and part of the contributions from the donate version on the market. He is a fantastic developer; I urge everyone who would donate to me to send some his way as well :)

General Description
    Battery Icon Mod is a general app (root required) for turning the standard battery icon into something more useful and more sophisticated.

The (ambitious) goal is to serve mods with this app for as many devices as possible. See second post for the devices/roms that are currently supported.

Important
    ;) Make a nandroid backup. I've written a very simple guide how to do this with Rom Manager here. (Really it costs you only a minute or so. Very easy to do)
    If you apply a wrong version or you stumble upon a corrupted one (although all versions are tested)... you may ending up with a unbootable device. In that case you have to flash your firmware again... OR just do a simple restore of your backup :) (I will describe a general restore procedure later on)
    ;) Only choose the version that matches your device and rom. Also make sure that the rom version matches your current rom.
    Sometimes [/I]mods for a particular rom will also work on another rom. However that's not the rule, more an exception. If you try, make sure you have a backup of your system.

Requests
    If your device/rom isn't supported post a request with a copy of your framework-res.apk (it's in the /system/framework directory) with a description of the device and rom you have.
    Note: The international Samsung Galaxy S (GT-I9000) will still be supported by this app. Post your requests there. Later these two projects will be merged together.'

Screenshots

sc20101229164305.png
    22705401.png

Themers and modders
    Like to share your modded framework-res.apk? Post it in this thread (with a description of course of the device and rom it is supposed to run on) and we will put a link to it in the app.

Credits
    To all modders and to theimpaler747 who made the first steps of this general project possible, and for appelflap, who is an excellent and supportive app developer who does things with apps I cannot :). And of course the guys behind UOT Kitchen, who made this work so much more easy. Thanks.

Donations
    There's a donation version in the Android Market (search for: Battery Icon Mod). Donations are mainly for paying the server that hosts the mods, and for putting these mods together (theimpaler747). Thanks!
    Reserved here from me, thanks appelflap for compiling ours together into a nice application! :) More phones to come, and please donate to help buy server space if you enjoy this! Thank you :D

List of currently supported devices!

• GT-I9000
    • Epic 4G
    • HTC Hero CDMA
    • Nexus One
    • HTC Magic
    • Samsung Intercept
    • HTC Desire HD
    • Droid 1
    • Droid Incredible
    • HTC Evo
    • HTC Hero GSM
    • Dell Streak
    • Nexus S
    • Evo Shift
    • Others I can't recall right now :p

More always on the way! :)
    Unfortunately, but needed at this moment:

Two (not tested) restore procedures for if you have a boot loop and didn't make a Nandroid backup.

Both methods require that you have adb installed. If not, download the Android SDK from here: http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html and find the adb program in the subdirectory "platform-tools".

Method 1 - update.zip method:
    Create your own update.zip with which you install the backup of the modified file back in restore mode.
    The instructions for this and the tool needed for it can be downloaded here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17635874/restore.zip
    CREDITS: The tool/script that is used to create the update.zip is another brilliant tool of the creator of APK Manager: Daneshm90. The thread of this tool can be found here (another pearl I found on xda-dev lately :) (I had to repackage it to make the restore procedure simpler)

Method 2 - shell method
    Install and run SuperOneClick and choose "Shell Root"

Start ADB, wait for the # prompt and enter the following commands:
    1. #busybox mount -o remount,rw /system (or mount -o ro,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system if there's no busybox)
    2. #rm /system/framework/framework-res.apk
    3. #cp /sdcard/framework-res.apk /system/framework/framework-res.apk
    4. #chown root.root /system/framework/framework-res.apk
    5. #chmod 644 /system/framework/framework-res.apk
    6. #reboot

Again these methods are not fully tested. They "should" work. Feedback is very much appreciated.
    (Nevertheless if these methods don't work it should get your guys going in searching in the right direction to get out of a boot looper)
    looks good but can we push this app even further and make it install full themes?
    I would not to be rude, but can you make more mods for htc magic :)

The same framework as before? Sure :)