[APP][2.1+] Flickr Earth -- discover the most interesting photos around you

Search This thread

yunusual

Mar 4, 2012
Hello everyone,

I have been following xda-developers forum for a long time and I felt that I should share my first Android application here. I would really like people to try it and maybe be kind enough to return me with some positive/negative feedback. Please be gentle, since this is my first experience :)

My application is on the Market and it's named Flickr Earth. It especially focuses on displaying Flickr photographs according to the geographical location it was taken.

Some of the features of the app:
- Browse through photos taken near your current location
- Explore photos taken anywhere in the world by navigating through the map or searching for a target location
- Specify a geographical region (a country/continent) and search for a tag among the photos taken there
- Find exactly what you are looking for by making advanced search queries on Flickr (specify tags, date range, interestingness, etc.)
- View highly detailed information about any photo you stumble upon (e.g. tags, date taken, location on map, camera model, other photos by the same user)
- Save photos in your device or share it with your friends through e-mail, instant messengers or social networking sites

There are some screenshots attached to this post.

You can find the application on the market with name: Flickr Earth
Or, you can simply scan the QR image at the bottom, linking to the market page.

Thank you so much for your time.

Cheers,
Yunus

Attachments

• 2ngc1s4.png
    2ngc1s4.png
    2.4 KB · Views: 248
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 301
  • 04.jpg
    04.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 265
  • 05.jpg
    05.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 275
  • 08.jpg
    08.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 225
  • feature_graphic.jpg
    feature_graphic.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 199
Last edited by a moderator:

Archer

Inactive Recognized Developer / Retired Senior Mod
Jul 9, 2008
Manchester
Google Pixel 8 Pro
You hear lots of app ideas, but only the odd one really sticks out as something that could catch on. This is one of them. Downloading now :)

conantroutman

Retired Senior Moderator - XDA Portal Team
Dec 10, 2009
Thanks guys! Looking forward to hear your thoughts.

One thing I noticed was that sometimes it's a little hard to notice the white loading icon on the light background of the map, I thought the app had crashed until I looked at it closely. :)

Works very well though. Good job.

yunusual

Mar 4, 2012
One thing I noticed was that sometimes it's a little hard to notice the white loading icon on the light background of the map, I thought the app had crashed until I looked at it closely. :)

I totally agree with you on that. I have thought of that 2-3 weeks ago, but I think I am not able to change the color of the progress icon. Though, it may be sorted by fading out the color of the background map to grayish, so that it will be more visible.

I'll definitely have that fixed for the next release. Thanks for the idea!

Reactions: conantroutman

jcarley0830

Sep 2, 2010
Very cool app!! I like it. Can use as a source of inspiration for my photography.

Is location data is being pulled based on if mapped in flickr or the geo tag in the image it self?

I ask because I have several photos in my photostream mapped to the Des Moines, IA area of the US via flickr mapping but not geo tagged and they are not showing in your app.

Here is my flickr map. http://www.flickr.com/photos/jcarley/map/

Is there a time diffierential? In other words does it only show photos X days/months old or is it current? If I tag a photo today and post will it show right away?

Great work!!

Last edited:

yunusual

Mar 4, 2012

Thanks a million times!

Very cool app!! I like it. Can use as a source of inspiration for my photography.

Is location data is being pulled based on if mapped in flickr or the geo tag in the image it self?

I ask because I have several photos in my photostream mapped to the Des Moines, IA area of the US via flickr mapping but not geo tagged and they are not showing in your app.

Here is my flickr map. http://www.flickr.com/photos/jcarley/map/

Is there a time diffierential? In other words does it only show photos X days/months old or is it current? If I tag a photo today and post will it show right away?

Great work!!

Hey mate. I am glad you've enjoyed it.

About the photos, I believe they only appear in the result if the photos actually contain the geographical data (latitude&longitude). But still, some of the photos I've uploaded to Flickr appear in the application and some of them don't. I am still not 100% clear about how Flickr API chooses the photos to return to a search query. But in your case, I believe they do not appear since they don't have the embedded geographical data.

And about the time, my experience is that the photos appear in search results in about 2-3 hours after they are uploaded to Flickr. However, this does not guarantee that they would appear in the application. Since it only displays 15 photos in a single map screen, if there are more than 15 photos tagged in that area, your photo may not be chosen to show up :) This is totally random.

Thanks a lot for testing it out!

Cheers,
Yunus

Last edited:

jcarley0830

Sep 2, 2010
Thanks a million times!

Hey mate. I am glad you've enjoyed it.

About the photos, I believe they only appear in the result if the photos actually contain the geographical data (latitude&longitude). But still, some of the photos I've uploaded to Flickr appear in the application and some of them don't. I am still not 100% clear about how Flickr API chooses the photos to return to a search query. But in your case, I believe they do not appear since they don't have the embedded geographical data.

And about the time, my experience is that the photos appear in search results in about 2-3 hours after they are uploaded to Flickr. However, this does not guarantee that they would appear in the application. Since it only displays 15 photos in a single map screen, if there are more than 15 photos tagged in that area, your photo may not be chosen to show up :) This is totally random.

Thanks a lot for testing it out!

Cheers,
Yunus

Thanks for the info.

Noted a possible issue - At least on my device. Running CM7 on Incredible phone. When I use the Navigate on Map option, the GPS turns on and starts flashing, but when I exit the app it doesn't stop. The app doesn't show as running and when I try to FC the Maps app it doesn't stop. I have to reboot to get the GPS to stop searching. I have to try on my Acer A500 tonight to see if it does it on there as well.

Reactions: yunusual

yunusual

Mar 4, 2012
Thanks for the info.

Noted a possible issue - At least on my device. Running CM7 on Incredible phone. When I use the Navigate on Map option, the GPS turns on and starts flashing, but when I exit the app it doesn't stop. The app doesn't show as running and when I try to FC the Maps app it doesn't stop. I have to reboot to get the GPS to stop searching. I have to try on my Acer A500 tonight to see if it does it on there as well.

Thanks for pointing this out, since it was a pretty important detail that I've missed (sucking down on battery). Now, I have released version 1.2 which turns off the GPS when you close the app or move it to background.

Additionally, the photos that load on map are further randomized, so you can get various different photo results even when checking the exact same map area. Also, I've adjusted the map photo loading spinner to be more visible (thanks to your feedback jcarley0830).

Thanks to everyone for their helpful feedback. You are great!

N1NJATH3ORY

Aug 16, 2010
Would you ever make the code open source ???? also im just downloading the app i will leave feed back once i tested it :) Thanks

yunusual

Mar 4, 2012
N1NJATH3ORY, right now I can't make it open source since I will be using this application for my master's degree dissertation. I don't want to complicate things =/

But I can give you any information about how the application works, you can send me an e-mail at yunusual@gmail.com.

Cheers.
Yunus

Reactions: N1NJATH3ORY

N1NJATH3ORY

Aug 16, 2010
N1NJATH3ORY, right now I can't make it open source since I will be using this application for my master's degree dissertation. I don't want to complicate things =/

But I can give you any information about how the application works, you can send me an e-mail at yunusual@gmail.com.

Cheers.
Yunus

Dude you made a sweet app :) Hands down it works flawlessly I love the way you did the view by map integration its smooth and super fast loading I will be dropping you an email as you have took the words right out of my mouth I really would like to know how it works especially the API calls ? dude you rock THANKS :)

Sent from my GT-N7000 using XDA Premium App

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello everyone,

I have been following xda-developers forum for a long time and I felt that I should share my first Android application here. I would really like people to try it and maybe be kind enough to return me with some positive/negative feedback. Please be gentle, since this is my first experience :)

My application is on the Market and it's named Flickr Earth. It especially focuses on displaying Flickr photographs according to the geographical location it was taken.

Some of the features of the app:
    - Browse through photos taken near your current location
    - Explore photos taken anywhere in the world by navigating through the map or searching for a target location
    - Specify a geographical region (a country/continent) and search for a tag among the photos taken there
    - Find exactly what you are looking for by making advanced search queries on Flickr (specify tags, date range, interestingness, etc.)
    - View highly detailed information about any photo you stumble upon (e.g. tags, date taken, location on map, camera model, other photos by the same user)
    - Save photos in your device or share it with your friends through e-mail, instant messengers or social networking sites

There are some screenshots attached to this post.

You can find the application on the market with name: Flickr Earth
    Or, you can simply scan the QR image at the bottom, linking to the market page.

Thank you so much for your time.

Cheers,
    Yunus
    Seems cool~
    I will try it!!!
    I will also give a try.:D

Sent from my GT-S5830 using xda premium

I totally agree with you on that. I have thought of that 2-3 weeks ago, but I think I am not able to change the color of the progress icon. Though, it may be sorted by fading out the color of the background map to grayish, so that it will be more visible.

I'll definitely have that fixed for the next release. Thanks for the idea!