[SCRIPT]Sprint GNex MSL Finder v1.2 [Updated 12.4.12] - Find your MSL the easy way!

Search This thread

-viperboy-

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jun 24, 2007
PA
viperROM%252520Banner2.png

msl_finder3.png
msl_finder2.png
msl_finder1.png
msl_finder4.png

MSL Finder is a very simple script that will find your MSL on your Sprint Galaxy Nexus. Some might think "Well, why use this when we have apps like MSL Finder?" As of now, none of the MSL readers in the market can find the MSL. I have tested this extensively on Team EOS build 5 and it works for me just fine every time. I also flashed this with the latest TWRP. If you have any issues, please let me know!

What does this script do?
  • Install Busybox if not installed
  • Find the MSL
  • Save it automatically to your sdcard (/sdcard/msl.txt)
  • Read MSL from saved file
  • Delete MSL file

How do I install it?

If you download the flashable.zip below:
  • Download the file below and put it on your sdcard
  • Reboot to recovery and flash!

If you download the non-flashable.zip below:
  • Extract the .zip
  • Place "msl" in /system/bin
  • Place "busybox" in /data/local (if you don't have busybox installed already)
  • Set all permissons on /system/bin/msl via Root Explorer or similar

OR

Use adb to set the permission
Code:
adb shell chmod 777 /system/bin/msl

How do I use it?
  • Open Terminal Emulator, or similar (NOTE: You can do "adb shell" and run it from there as well)
  • Type "su" (lowercase, no quotes - approve Superuser request if prompted)
  • Type "msl" (lowercase, no quotes)
  • Follow the prompts
  • NOTE: This was designed to run at stock font size on Terminal Emulator
  • NOTE: The correct code to enter is *#*#DATA#*#*, the directions might have a typo within the script. Will be fixed in next build.

Credits and thanks
  • -viperboy- for the script
  • bigrushdog for implementation!
  • myn for the idea to capture MSL!
  • drdrewdown for the instructions!
  • Let me know if I missed anyone!

Download
MSL Finder v1.1 FLASHABLE - https://dl.dropbox.com/u/6621763/Sprint_MSL_Finder_v1.2.zip
MSL Finder v1.1 NON-FLASHABLE (just the .zip) - http://bit.ly/IGpbwx

Last edited:

-viperboy-

Jun 24, 2007
PA
FAQ

Q: Can I run the script without root?
A: No, because we are reading the logcat from the phone, we need root access. However, if you forget to type su before running, the script will attempt to run as root anyway.

Q: Why isn't the option for reading or deleting the MSL present?
A: The script knows if the file exists or not. If you don't see the options, a valid MSL has not been found

Last edited:

-viperboy-

Jun 24, 2007
PA
Changelog

v1.2
  • Fixed typo for the code to be dialed

v1.1
  • Added busybox check and install
  • Clear screen everytime main menu loads

v1
  • Initial Release

Last edited:

bigrushdog

Apr 23, 2007
Ha nice work bro. You snuck this one past me. But I'm downloading now.

tridogg97

Jun 27, 2007
ATLANTA
? Why doesn't msl work for debug menu. Thanks Viper it does work for data menu though.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

Last edited:

mocsab

Aug 16, 2011
West Milwaukee
www.shimmeringglass.com
What is MSL?

I would imagine the fact that I don't know what MSL is - demonstrates that I don't need to download this - but my curiousity is piqued -

What is MSL ? Why do I want to find it ? :)

Another nooblike question I am sure - don't worry - it won't be the last -

jesusice

Dec 22, 2010
? Why doesn't msl work for debug menu.

I noticed that too. But it does work for *#*#data#*#* which is where the good stuff is.

I would imagine the fact that I don't know what MSL is - demonstrates that I don't need to download this - but my curiousity is piqued -

MSL is Master Security Lock. It is unique to your phone and is needed to gain access to certain parts of your phone. Get your MSL and in the dialer input *#*#3282#*#* and then input your MSL. You will now be able to edit many things having to do with your radio and network connection that you probably should not be messing with ;)

- in layman's terms cuz they're the only ones I know

Reactions: neebi007

hb-kevin

Jun 21, 2009
I tried this and it didn't work for me. Do I need to be on a stock rom? I'm on CM9 kang right now with Franco kernel.

Basically I did su then msl then home to dial pad where I put #*#*3282#*#*, then I pull notification bar back to terminal and hit enter where it immediately fails.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA

LordLugard

Apr 25, 2008
NYC
I think your issue might be that you're running CM rom. In the past, CM roms have always had an issue with EPST menus on CDMA phones.

meatgel

Sep 9, 2007
Colorado
It didn't work for me, either. I just get errors and then it comes back with "Your MSL is ."

I am rooted/stock. I haven't flashed a ROM yet. Would that matter?

-viperboy-

Jun 24, 2007
PA
It didn't work for me, either. I just get errors and then it comes back with "Your MSL is ."

I am rooted/stock. I haven't flashed a ROM yet. Would that matter?

Install busybox from the Play Store, should work right away. :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Good call, I didn't even think about that. I will make the next version check for busybox and install if the user wants. Thanks for the feedback :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: meatgel

-viperboy-

Jun 24, 2007
PA
Updated to v1.1 :) Should work for people on stock that don't have busybox by installing it if they would like it installed. Other wise, you will get an error message and you can install via Busybox Installer (or similar) in the Market.

Smurph82

Mar 17, 2011
Greensboro, NC
Hey viperboy I think your command should read "*#*#DATA#*#*" not "#*#*DATE#*#*" Also I could not get busybox install had to use installer from the market. Just FYI buddy.

-viperboy-

Jun 24, 2007
PA
Hey viperboy I think your command should read "*#*#DATA#*#*" not "#*#*DATE#*#*" Also I could not get busybox install had to use installer from the market. Just FYI buddy.

I don't think it says "DATE" anywhere, does it? This is what the script tells your for instructions:

Code:
"Hit the home button so that terminal stays running"
"and go into the Dialer. Type "#*#*DATA#*#*" and"
"come back to this terminal. Once you have done this"
"please press Enter."

Good feedback about the busybox install, thanks! No one has said if the new build worked or not and I already had busybox so I couldn't test. What errors did you get?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    viperROM%252520Banner2.png

msl_finder3.png
    msl_finder2.png
    msl_finder1.png
    msl_finder4.png

MSL Finder is a very simple script that will find your MSL on your Sprint Galaxy Nexus. Some might think "Well, why use this when we have apps like MSL Finder?" As of now, none of the MSL readers in the market can find the MSL. I have tested this extensively on Team EOS build 5 and it works for me just fine every time. I also flashed this with the latest TWRP. If you have any issues, please let me know!

What does this script do?
    • Install Busybox if not installed
    • Find the MSL
    • Save it automatically to your sdcard (/sdcard/msl.txt)
    • Read MSL from saved file
    • Delete MSL file

How do I install it?

If you download the flashable.zip below:
    • Download the file below and put it on your sdcard
    • Reboot to recovery and flash!

If you download the non-flashable.zip below:
    • Extract the .zip
    • Place "msl" in /system/bin
    • Place "busybox" in /data/local (if you don't have busybox installed already)
    • Set all permissons on /system/bin/msl via Root Explorer or similar

OR

Use adb to set the permission
    Code:
    adb shell chmod 777 /system/bin/msl

How do I use it?
    • Open Terminal Emulator, or similar (NOTE: You can do "adb shell" and run it from there as well)
    • Type "su" (lowercase, no quotes - approve Superuser request if prompted)
    • Type "msl" (lowercase, no quotes)
    • Follow the prompts
    • NOTE: This was designed to run at stock font size on Terminal Emulator
    • NOTE: The correct code to enter is *#*#DATA#*#*, the directions might have a typo within the script. Will be fixed in next build.

Credits and thanks
    • -viperboy- for the script
    • bigrushdog for implementation!
    • myn for the idea to capture MSL!
    • drdrewdown for the instructions!
    • Let me know if I missed anyone!

Download
    MSL Finder v1.1 FLASHABLE - https://dl.dropbox.com/u/6621763/Sprint_MSL_Finder_v1.2.zip
    MSL Finder v1.1 NON-FLASHABLE (just the .zip) - http://bit.ly/IGpbwx
    this was not working for me using instruction of entering *#*#DATA#*#* and going directly back to terminal to hit enter, it would always return MSL not found.
    Stock 4.0.4, rooted
    what worked for me was after entering option 1 in MSL finder to "Get MSL" was going to dialer enter: *#*#DATA#*#*, hit edit, enter fake MSL so "invalid lock code" pops up, then return to terminal and hit enter.
    Seemed to take a couple trys but finally got it,

thanks for this script :)
    Anyone know how to get into *#*#DEBUG#*#*?

MSL does not work :(

"Invalid Lock Code!" but MSL works fine for *#*#DATA#*#*

the Debug Menu code is a constant.

Code:
        .line 94
        const-string v1, "777468"
    Have fun.
    this was not working for me using instruction of entering *#*#DATA#*#* and going directly back to terminal to hit enter, it would always return MSL not found.
    Stock 4.0.4, rooted
    what worked for me was after entering option 1 in MSL finder to "Get MSL" was going to dialer enter: *#*#DATA#*#*, hit edit, enter fake MSL so "invalid lock code" pops up, then return to terminal and hit enter.
    Seemed to take a couple trys but finally got it,

thanks for this script :)

I used this method, and the MSL that gave was "sendD" :eek: I was scared, so I went to the logcat.txt on the sdcard and took the first 6 numbers after sendData just like this "sendData: xxxxxxxxxxxxx" and I took this "sendData: [xxxxxx]xxxxxxx".

Hope this help somebody
    ? Why doesn't msl work for debug menu.

I noticed that too. But it does work for *#*#data#*#* which is where the good stuff is.

MSL is Master Security Lock. It is unique to your phone and is needed to gain access to certain parts of your phone. Get your MSL and in the dialer input *#*#3282#*#* and then input your MSL. You will now be able to edit many things having to do with your radio and network connection that you probably should not be messing with ;)

- in layman's terms cuz they're the only ones I know