Sound turns off when tv is turned off

Search This thread

jpage101

Dec 12, 2012
Hello all,

I have the FTV box going directly to my TV via the HDMI cable. I also have the FTV box going to my receiver via optical cable for audio.

I have the same setup for my cable box. There is no connection from TV to receiver.

In the past, with other devices (Roku, WDTV) I would play some content from Netflix or Amazon prime, but would then turn my TV off - leaving me with just audio. I do this at night because I like to listen to something as I go to sleep.

With the FTV, I have noticed as soon as I change to a different content source on my TV, or if I turn off my TV, the audio from the FTV stops. Does anyone know if there is a way to get around this?

floepie

Feb 28, 2006
Amsterdam
Sounds like CEC HDMI communication between the FTV and your TV. When you turn one device off, the device that receives the signal to turn off tells the other device to turn off or go into standby. Maybe there's a setting in the FTV to turn that feature off? Or, you could probably disable it at the TV. Samsung has a different name for it (AnyNet or some such).

Reactions: jpage101

kario

Nov 14, 2011
Hello all,

I have the FTV box going directly to my TV via the HDMI cable. I also have the FTV box going to my receiver via optical cable for audio.

I have the same setup for my cable box. There is no connection from TV to receiver.

In the past, with other devices (Roku, WDTV) I would play some content from Netflix or Amazon prime, but would then turn my TV off - leaving me with just audio. I do this at night because I like to listen to something as I go to sleep.

With the FTV, I have noticed as soon as I change to a different content source on my TV, or if I turn off my TV, the audio from the FTV stops. Does anyone know if there is a way to get around this?

Connect the fire TV via optical out....this will continue to play the audio when you turn the TV off. Have not tried this with ftv but I have a similar situation with my windowshtpc.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

jpage101

Dec 12, 2012
Sounds like CEC HDMI communication between the FTV and your TV. When you turn one device off, the device that receives the signal to turn off tells the other device to turn off or go into standby. Maybe there's a setting in the FTV to turn that feature off? Or, you could probably disable it at the TV. Samsung has a different name for it (AnyNet or some such).

Thank you very much. That was it. I disabled it at the TV level. It's called "Power Link" on Panasonic TV's.

mychaelp

Dec 21, 2014
It appears I also am having this problem, but my TV does not have an option to turn off the power feature. I remember awhile back someone somewhere saying there was an adapter for the hdmi that helped with this. Anyone have an idea of what it was? Would love to listen to music on this thing and not return it and go back to my old Roku

Robmason1982

Apr 4, 2016
Sorry - Bit of Necro Posting! Seemed better than starting a new one.

I have pretty much the same issue - have no option on my Samsung TV to disable CEC as it does not support it (confirmed with Samsung).

If it turn off the TV it stops the audio and the youtube app will "crash". i put that in inverted commas as it is a strange sort of crash. the app still functions and will browse the subscriptions/channels ect but will not load the video - i just get the spinning dots. Only a full restart of the device fixes it
Have reset to factory defaults and deleted the apps.
Thinking it is connected to the TV in some way as if i put a HDMI switcher in between, it doesnt happen.

Gen 1 AFTV - latest OS
Sound - Optical out to Samsung Soundbar
Video - HDMI to Samsung LT31D

If anyone has any ideas, i'd be grateful. Happy to supply any info that may be usefull.

Cheers

Rob

Ludacrisvp

Dec 13, 2008
MN
Sorry - Bit of Necro Posting! Seemed better than starting a new one.

I have pretty much the same issue - have no option on my Samsung TV to disable CEC as it does not support it (confirmed with Samsung).

If it turn off the TV it stops the audio and the youtube app will "crash". i put that in inverted commas as it is a strange sort of crash. the app still functions and will browse the subscriptions/channels ect but will not load the video - i just get the spinning dots. Only a full restart of the device fixes it
Have reset to factory defaults and deleted the apps.
Thinking it is connected to the TV in some way as if i put a HDMI switcher in between, it doesnt happen.

Gen 1 AFTV - latest OS
Sound - Optical out to Samsung Soundbar
Video - HDMI to Samsung LT31D

If anyone has any ideas, i'd be grateful. Happy to supply any info that may be usefull.

Cheers

Rob
if you have root on firetv just remove CEC support from the FTV

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.