[PRJ] Linux and Android for CDMA Diamond (DIAM500)

Search This thread

MrPippy

Jul 19, 2008
Long Beach, CA, USA
Android 2.0 (Eclair) for CDMA Diamond (DIAM500)

Instructions
  • Put the files from my zip file (zImage, modules, startup.txt) in the root of your Internal Storage
  • From this xda post, download the latest XDANDROID build.
  • From the XDANDROID 7z file, extract system.sqsh, haret.exe, initrd.gz, calibration, conf/, media/, and (optionally) AndroidApps/ into the root of your Internal Storage
  • From stinebd's rootfs autobuild site, download the latest rootfs, rename it to rootfs.img, and put it in the root of your Internal Storage.
  • If you are updating from an earlier version of Android or just want to clear your settings, you can delete data.img from the root of Internal Storage.
  • Run haret.exe and boot

Notes
  • Touchscreen calibration values are stored in the ts-calibration file in the root of Internal Storage. To re-calibrate, delete the file and restart.
  • The "end call" button takes the phone in and out of sleep.
  • Android's "Menu" button is mapped to the top-left/Home button. The 5-way pad and the scroll ring both work.
  • Android's "Home" button is mapped to the power button on top of the phone.
  • Wi-Fi is working, although Linux sometimes crashes when WiFi is turned off.
  • If you want to try Android 1.6: From this Android build, extract haret.exe, initrd.gz, system.sqsh, calibration, calibration_diamond, and the AndroidApps/, conf/ and media/ directories into the root of your Internal Storage.

ChangeLog
  • 3-23-2010:
    • Touchscreen double-tap issue should be gone, big thanks to eval- and especially bzo
    • HTC wired headset and 3.5mm headphones both work
  • 3-8-2010:
    • Hardware 3D is re-enabled (accidentally disabled it)
  • 3-6-2010 Update:
    • Bluetooth now works, big thanks to bzo
    • Touchscreen should be improved
    • Power-off now resets the phone instead of crashing
  • 2-25-2010 Update:
    • When WiFi is turned off the phone shouldn't crash
  • 2-19-2010 Update:
    • Power collapse now works, so power consumption should be much lower when the screen is turned off.
    • WiFi should work, as long as you use a new rootfs from stinebd's autobuild site. If you tried to use WiFi in the last ~2 weeks and it failed, WiFi still may not work with this new rootfs and kernel. See this post for solutions.
  • 2-17-2010 Update:
    • Microphone works without having to make a call in WinMo :D
    • WiFi still isn't working, but I'll post a patched rootfs soon to fix it
  • 2-10-2010 Update:
    • Hardware 3D acceleration is working under Eclair
    • Brought in makkonen's fixes for battery status--they're rough, but better than being stuck at 5% all the time
    • WiFi is not working at the moment, but I'll lean on the XDANDROID guys to get my fix in.
  • 2-3-2010 Update:
    • Linux is now using much more of the phone's memory: 180MB vs. 103MB, thanks to some patches from the Hero and Droid Eris kernel source.
    • Touchscreen calibration is now supported with the Feb. 2 XDANDROID build, thanks to makkonen and phh.
  • 1-27-2010 Update:
    • Stability should be much improved
    • A new touchscreen driver is included that is a big improvement over the old one, thanks to makkonen and phh. A calibration utility is coming soon. Until then, calibration is stored at the bottom of conf/eclair.user.conf, and you can put your WinMo calibration in there with this guide.
    • The USB product ID has been changed in the hope that ADB will work on Windows. Try it out and post back if it works.
  • 1-22-2010 Update:
    • The power button (on top of the phone) is now mapped to Home, and holding it down will show apps running in the background
    • Sound, data, and WiFi should all be working
  • 1-11-2010 Update:
    • Tested and working with Eclair
    • Deep sleep should be working better (use less power)
  • 12-26-2009 Update:
    Kernel improvements:
    • The speaker and earpiece now work (but not the microphone)
    • Screen backlight control works

Rootfs improvements:
    • Thanks to makkonen's RIL fix, cell data works in Android without having to end the connection in WinMo first
    • I made a change to /init that might help mjb94, hackman238 and others that have partitioned internal storage. If you were getting a "cannot mount" error on boot, let me know if this fixes it.
  • 12-16-2009 Post

We do have a Google wave for Android--right now it's a cross between a wiki-status-report and chat room. I'm not sure how to give a link to a wave, but it's open to everyone and called "Android on HTC Windows Mobile Phones (Diamond, Raphael, Blackstone, Rhodium, Topaz)". If anyone wants a wave invite, PM me and I have a few to give out.

Enjoy Android, and if you need help or have questions, PM me or post here

Donations are greatly appreciated :D, or help finding an engineering job in San Diego!

Attachments

• diam500_2010-03-23.zip
    1.9 MB · Views: 14,070
Last edited:

yourboysteiny

Dec 5, 2009
Is there any chance of the mic working anytime soon? I know this isn't an fast paced process but I'm just so sick of wm.

qwho

Feb 5, 2007
Pittsburgh
For the latest version, it will boot for me, but as soon as I have a 3g connection it seems to reboot any time I touch anything.

bharris25

Nov 1, 2008
Saint Louis
Boots up fine

Latest build boots up and seems to run fine for several hours but after playing with it, it seems to get more and more unstable. I went 10 hours with it plugged in sleeping and then unplugged it and used it moderately for about 3 hours before it crashed. Now it's crashed 3 times within minutes of each other. Good stuff though, can't wait until it's stable enough to use full time. Diamond has plenty of nuts to run it pretty good. Sure would be nice to have a dual boot phone. No reason to upgrade and get the best of both worlds...:cool:

MrPippy

Jul 19, 2008
Long Beach, CA, USA

mjb94

Jul 15, 2009
mr pippy i still get the same error as in your other post with the failed to mount sd and the 2 partions, i tried reformatting

Willis111

Retired Forum Moderator
Sep 7, 2008
Ontario
mr pippy i still get the same error as in your other post with the failed to mount sd and the 2 partions, i tried reformatting

Did you reformat or repartition? Would you happen to be one of those people who has a partitioned card? Basically, I think the layout of your MC can have as many partitions as you want on it as long as mmcblkp1 (the first partition) is a fat32 partition with the needed files on it. There's also a little info on this problem on the wiki, lavender.t posted a solution that works 100% of the time if you're able to enter keystrokes.

mjb94

Jul 15, 2009
Did you reformat or repartition? Would you happen to be one of those people who has a partitioned card? Basically, I think the layout of your MC can have as many partitions as you want on it as long as mmcblkp1 (the first partition) is a fat32 partition with the needed files on it. There's also a little info on this problem on the wiki, lavender.t posted a solution that works 100% of the time if you're able to enter keystrokes.

I simply in disk utility clicked on restore and erased the disk restoring with ms-dos fat

is there another way to do this. i have access to linux and osx not windows

it only shows i have one partition so idk!

no dice. heres what i have done

ok i restore the disk in to ms-dos fat
no dice

i repartiton with a scheme of one partition
no dice

i change the partiton table no dice

i tried lavaders thing but i couldn't get the keyboard to come up

Last edited:

MrPippy

Jul 19, 2008
Long Beach, CA, USA
Possible fix for microphone

I haven't tested this yet, but blast3r in irc tested a workaround for the microphone this morning and said it worked:

In WinMo, start a voice call and leave it connected while you open HaRET and boot into Linux. In Android, the microphone should now work for voice calls.

bharris25

Nov 1, 2008
Saint Louis
I haven't tested this yet, but blast3r in irc tested a workaround for the microphone this morning and said it worked:

In WinMo, start a voice call and leave it connected while you open HaRET and boot into Linux. In Android, the microphone should now work for voice calls.

Yep, confirmed for me. Made a phone call with android and could talk just fine. Probably can just call voice mail with win mobile and launch HaRET. Trying that right now.