[Recovery] Unofficial TWRP 3.x (on Omni base) - peregrine

Search This thread

Darkshado

Apr 16, 2011
Montréal
Nvidia Shield Tablet
Nexus 6
2016-09-25 Update:

_that has had an official 3.x build for some time now, built on top of a CM-based tree.
My device and kernel trees build TWRP 3.x on top of an Omni 6.0 codebase, see below for more instructions. I won't be posting images for the foreseeable future, I do not have time to provide any support or troubleshooting these days.

2015-04-08 Update:

Somcom3X has a few recent builds in this thread.

2014-08-18 Update:

Somcom3X has posted a new build here.

2014-08-06 Update:

I'm currently quite busy IRL and haven't had time to update my build in the last while. I don't expect to until sometime in September. However I will keep on checking in here on a regular basis to update the OP as needed.
@Somcom3X and @shabbypenguin have made more recent builds which have been reported as working well.
@meekrawb has packaged Somcom3X's build and mine in flashable zip files in this post.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Here's my current TWRP build for the Moto G LTE "peregrine".

Features:

• TWRP 3.x
  • Boots.
  • Works with the external microSD card and USB OTG.

Known issues:

• Build tree needs work so that falcon, peregrine, condor and titan can coexist easily. Well, this is still true, but far enough down the list that I don't expect it to happen.
  • Some microSD cards have been reported to work on the Motorola stock ROM and not with this recovery. Not much can be done about it unless those with the issue provide meaningful data for myself and others to look at. Device Tree Blobs (DTB) have been updated, shouldn't be an issue anymore.
  • Likely more to come, this has not been tested extensively.

Changelog:

2014-07-16 18:45
  • Changed kernel remote from OmniROM to @shabbypenguin's, at least until the Omni team pulls in the new Motorola kernel release.
  • Minor changes

Thanks
The entire TWRP team for their work, and in particular to @Dees_Troy and @cybojenix for their assistance.

Enjoy,

Darkshado

Last edited:

NWKENT

Dec 17, 2010
Tryon, North Carolina
@NWKENT I just uploaded a working version. :D

(Thanks! I'll have to look into the donation stuff, will put up a link once that's done...)

Thank you friend..please post a donation link..I will gladly contribute..
:)

Sent by my Motorola Droid XYBoard MZ617-32 10.1_ICS 4.04

---------- Post added at 11:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:40 PM ----------

Report: v201407062144

Flashed with no problems..
(Install) option works perfectly..to install SuperSU for Root..
Vibrate and screen saver works great..
No SDCard recognized
No OTG-USB recognized
File Manager seems to work
Will boot into recovery from home screen with XPosed..
Will boot to recovery from bootloader..
EDIT: Backup have NOT completed due to lack of free space..

Hope this helps the Dev.

Sent from my 4.4.3_21.23.4
(Unlocked) XT1045 Moto G 4G LTE
http://waynekent.com/page6.html

Last edited:
Reactions: daniel12544d

NWKENT

Dec 17, 2010
Tryon, North Carolina
I've made some backups, haven't needed to restore yet. I tried to be exhaustive in terms of the partitions you could backup.

First try..my backup attempt failed..musta done something wrong myself..I have used TWRP for awhile now (about 1 year)..and have many backups on my other devices..I will try again..lol

EDIT: Backup fail because my device didn't have enuff free space, not your fault..mine only..lol

I will work on freeing up some space and try again..what would be "swell" is if we can choose the SDCard to back up to..and I realize once, if ever that issue is resolved, then we could backup to SDCard like SafeStrap..

Sent from my:
(Jaocagomex debloated)
4.4_19.6.3 (Unlocked)
XT1080M Droid Maxx #2

---------- Post added at 12:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:03 AM ----------

I'm busy with something else at the moment, could you try the same things with mfastboot boot instead? If not I will look into this soon.

I used mfastboot to flash your version..

Sent from my:
(Jaocagomex debloated)
4.4_19.6.3 (Unlocked)
XT1080M Droid Maxx #2

Last edited:

rhyang

May 16, 2013
SJC
Looks great, was able to back up boot/system/data to my SD card. Could not flash it, got a mismatched partition size error (I have an XT1045). Boots OK though.

I also noticed there was not an option to back up the recovery partition, like on some other TWRP's I've used.

Awesome start !

Last edited:

SoulSeekerHS

Nov 28, 2007
Samsung Galaxy S10e
Asus Zenfone 9
Booting from a computer via mfastboot allows the microSD to work

Not for me, but maybe that's a general TWRP issue? I used "mfastboot boot twrp.img", booted fine, battery shows "50+" as expected, I can backup data, system etc., but can't mount/access MicroSD. It's a Transcend 32GB Class 10 UHS1 MicroSDHC card. Works fine in the booted system, also accessible from PC when android is connected . DiskInfo app shows filesystem as "vfat".

Attachments

• DiskInfo.png
    DiskInfo.png
    87.7 KB · Views: 472

eteles

Aug 20, 2012
I can confirm backup to external sd card working only if you boot from PC (fastboot boot recovery.img)... Using a 32GB sandisk ultra class 10...

Tested backup and tested restore... all fine...

Will we ever be able to backup to external SD without using a PC? Will the developer fix this issue or it´s some kind of limitation from this phone?

USCanthony

Jan 21, 2012
Los Angeles
Xiaomi Mi 11i
OnePlus 12R
I can confirm backup to external sd card working only if you boot from PC (fastboot boot recovery.img)... Using a 32GB sandisk ultra class 10...

Tested backup and tested restore... all fine...

Will we ever be able to backup to external SD without using a PC? Will the developer fix this issue or it´s some kind of limitation from this phone?

That is really up to TWRP and CWM. They both need to have some interest in officially supporting this phone. So far they have both showed very little interest and I think that is because there is some confusion about how critical the differences between the Moto G and the Moto G 4G LTE are. While the hardware differences are few, the ones that do exist are critical. XDA forums have not done the users of this phone any favors by including a development thread under the Moto G parent thread. You cannot use custom recoveries or custom ROM's created for the Moto G on a Moto G 4G LTE. I do understand that that that means that the differences are really in development but by not providing this phone it's own parent thread, XDA is helping to perpetuate the myth that the phones are the same. This in turn simply supports the thought over at TWRP and CWM that the existing Moto G custom recovery will work.

Reactions: danny8

Darkshado

Apr 16, 2011
Montréal
Nvidia Shield Tablet
Nexus 6
@USCanthony I've spent a bit of time over on Freenode talking with a few TWRP/Omni devs, I think everyone over there is aware that we're dealing with two different devices, and their feedback is that it should be relatively easy to cater to both falcon and peregrine from common trees once our device is brought up.
@eteles I am very much interested in solving this as well, but I'm navigating uncharted waters so don't expect it to be quick or easy.

Supporting a large number of devices is difficult, more so if you don't have all the devs on your team with ready access to one exemplar. Given the volunteer/community nature of FOSS projects like Omni, CM and TWRP, you need people with the technical skills, resources, time and devices to pull this off for every single device out there.

eteles

Aug 20, 2012
I have asked another developer with some experience with TWRP to take a look at the code if he can and has the time...

Let's see if he can help... One problem: he doesn't have the phone...

eteles

Aug 20, 2012
@Darkshado

Here's the answer from the developer I talked about (@SciBee)... Hope it helps getting the external SD to mount correctly without PC booting:

"Tried to put my answer directly to XDA but as I did not post >10 BlaBla posts in the BlaBla section I was not allowed to do so :mad:

However - I suggest to change a line in his twrp.fstab file from
Code:
/sdcard1      auto      /dev/block/mmcblk1p1     /dev/block/mmcblk1         flags=display="microSD card";storage;wipeingui;removable
into
Code:
/sdcard1      vfat      /dev/block/mmcblk1p1     /dev/block/mmcblk1         flags=display="microSD card";storage;wipeingui;removable
maybe the auto detection of the filesystem fails when booting off the internal ROM.
It's a little strange that this works if booted via fastboot :confused:
There also is a USB-OTG entry. Did you try to run the backup to a USB Stick connected to OTG - if the phone supports OTG at all?
And, what people also miss some times - you have to select the storage in TWRP before you run the backup.

Regards"

Last edited:

Darkshado

Apr 16, 2011
Montréal
Nvidia Shield Tablet
Nexus 6
I had initially put the SD card as auto, and while I haven't had the time to try it again as vfat, the Moto E's (condor) TWRP build has the external listed as vfat in its fstab.twrp.

The phone supports OTG, that's a known fact. (And I've got an adapter to test as needed.)

I know how to change storage in TWRP, the entries are visible, but listed as 0MB and selecting them does nothing useful.

If it isn't as trivial as changing the "auto" to "vfat" then I don't really know what to make of this, it would imply the issue is somewhere in the kernel or device tree blob code.

eteles

Aug 20, 2012
I had initially put the SD card as auto, and while I haven't had the time to try it again as vfat, the Moto E's (condor) TWRP build has the external listed as vfat in its fstab.twrp.

The phone supports OTG, that's a known fact. (And I've got an adapter to test as needed.)

I know how to change storage in TWRP, the entries are visible, but listed as 0MB and selecting them does nothing useful.

If it isn't as trivial as changing the "auto" to "vfat" then I don't really know what to make of this, it would imply the issue is somewhere in the kernel or device tree blob code.

I´ve passed this info to him... I´ve confirmed USB OTG is working inside recovery too, but only when booting from PC, like the external SD...

Would you change auto to vfat and see what happens, please? It´s the only thing we can do right now?

thanks

EDIT: I've done some commands in the terminal and showed the logs to Scibee... He said the only thing there's being detected is the internal nand, so there's no way for TWRP to mount it like this... In the other hand, he has no idea why everything works when booting from PC using fastboot...

This is a real mystery...... We need some quite experienced developers here...

Last edited:
Reactions: suhridkhan

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    2016-09-25 Update:

_that has had an official 3.x build for some time now, built on top of a CM-based tree.
    My device and kernel trees build TWRP 3.x on top of an Omni 6.0 codebase, see below for more instructions. I won't be posting images for the foreseeable future, I do not have time to provide any support or troubleshooting these days.

2015-04-08 Update:

Somcom3X has a few recent builds in this thread.

2014-08-18 Update:

Somcom3X has posted a new build here.

2014-08-06 Update:

I'm currently quite busy IRL and haven't had time to update my build in the last while. I don't expect to until sometime in September. However I will keep on checking in here on a regular basis to update the OP as needed.
    @Somcom3X and @shabbypenguin have made more recent builds which have been reported as working well.
    @meekrawb has packaged Somcom3X's build and mine in flashable zip files in this post.

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Here's my current TWRP build for the Moto G LTE "peregrine".

Features:

• TWRP 3.x
    • Boots.
    • Works with the external microSD card and USB OTG.

Known issues:

• Build tree needs work so that falcon, peregrine, condor and titan can coexist easily. Well, this is still true, but far enough down the list that I don't expect it to happen.
    • Some microSD cards have been reported to work on the Motorola stock ROM and not with this recovery. Not much can be done about it unless those with the issue provide meaningful data for myself and others to look at. Device Tree Blobs (DTB) have been updated, shouldn't be an issue anymore.
    • Likely more to come, this has not been tested extensively.

Changelog:

2014-07-16 18:45
    • Changed kernel remote from OmniROM to @shabbypenguin's, at least until the Omni team pulls in the new Motorola kernel release.
    • Minor changes

Thanks
    The entire TWRP team for their work, and in particular to @Dees_Troy and @cybojenix for their assistance.

Enjoy,

Darkshado
    I made some flashable zips of @Darkshado and @Somcom3X versions of TWRP 2.7.1.0.
    @eteles @shabbypenguin

Built with the new kernel source and this time it seems "everything" works.
    If anyone is interested, here is an updated twrp
    http://d-h.st/inJ