[BOOT][4.2+][UNOFFICIAL] MultiROM for TF300T [2014-02-13]

Search This thread

AgentTabasco

Sep 10, 2011
Tokorozawa, Japan
Having Difficulties

I have been trying to follow the directions on this and get the multi-rom installed but I keep getting a fail. This is what it says when I try to install from the multi-rom TWRP:

Failed to create fake boot image filePrimary/boot.blob (No such file or directory)!
Restoring mounts...
Updating partition details...
Error flashing zip 'external_sdcard/multirom-v22-20140316-UNOFFICIAL-tf300t.zip
updating partition details...

and from here it shows Failed.

Here is my current system info:
Android version: 4.2.1
Kernel version: 3.1.10-10.6.1.14.8-that4+that@ws#13 Tue Jul 2 23:21:24 CEST 2013
Build number: TF300 CROMi-Xenogenesis 5.4-10.6.1.27.5 WW ODEX

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks

nbnion

Jun 21, 2012
toronto
Now I use CROMi-X 5.4 with TWRP2.5.0.0.

I try to use the later version MutiROM arch 16. After I flash the MutiROM, I can see the MutiROM boot screen. When I select Pri ROM, it stick on ASUS logo.

I try this MutiROM so long time. However, I still cannot use it.

I think I will forgive to install CROMi-X 5.4 ROM as PRI. ROM.

yea, same thing here. after install multiRom i get stock on Asus logo.

Edit: can anybody confirm the latest multiRom works with cromix 5.4 _that kernel?
Thanks

Last edited:

Drahric

Sep 18, 2012
Asus Transformer TF701
OnePlus 7T
I have a puzzle for you to solve...
So I stopped using multirom due to a swapping issue that corrupted all of the installs on multirom, lucky me having been there before I had a backup with a full emergency replacement rom :) anyway space is starting to get tight on my tablet and I want to free up some space that multirom is taking up... Go into my file manager and find out that the multirom folder takes no space whatsoever (ie has a size of 0.00 bytes). Empty folder = safe to delete (most of the time). That folder will not go away though, Failed delete attempts, false positives, opendir failures (when using terminal emulator). I have tried everything I can think of, short of wiping internal storage (which needs to be done soon given all of the gunk in there). So there is my story of the multirom folder that will not go away. glad to see progress though :D

ps If your thinking it is a permissions problem, Its not, trust me.

Edit: The folder didn't survive the wipe I did so no need to try and solve this problem. ;)

Sent from the CROMI-Xifed tf300t

Last edited:

Ninja Potatoe

Jan 29, 2013
Does this support ubuntu? I installed xubuntu but after an update to CM11 the rabbit dualboot kernel stopped working (bootloop if I recall correctly) so someone in the thread pointed me to kexecboot. After install, again, with newest CM11, I lose wifi in Android but can dualboot (wifi isn't availeable in xubuntu either).

t3chwizard

Jul 20, 2013
Asus Transformer TF300T
LG Optimus G Pro
Does this support ubuntu? I installed xubuntu but after an update to CM11 the rabbit dualboot kernel stopped working (bootloop if I recall correctly) so someone in the thread pointed me to kexecboot. After install, again, with newest CM11, I lose wifi in Android but can dualboot (wifi isn't availeable in xubuntu either).

If this is a xubuntu specific issue...in the future I may port an ARM build of fedora to this device....I'll see if the issue goes away after doing this....but it may be a while before I do it

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

vjtz

Jan 5, 2013
If this is a xubuntu specific issue...in the future I may port an ARM build of fedora to this device....I'll see if the issue goes away after doing this....but it may be a while before I do it

I installed CROMi-X 5.4 and according to http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=48947306#post48947306 also rabbit's kernel to have dualboot with Xubuntu. As far as I know, Xubuntu uses some drivers from Android. I applied the patch to restore wi-fi and everything works fine (all HW, ...).
This MultiROM is really cool and I like it. I also wonder if I could have CROMi-X as primary ROM, then Xubuntu (or another normal Linux, Fedora would also be fine) and CM as another ROM. Do I wish too much? :D Actually, I'd be fine with any working dualboot of Android and Linux. The Xubuntu is already too old... :(

zen_phones

Sep 6, 2012
i restored a backup and it had "jenkins@sirius #1 kernel" as the kernel instead of the rom's kernel.
this actually has happened quite a few times, when restoring backups to secondary slots on internal and external sd cards. like 5 times so far. odd things are happening.

also when i install a rom as the primary, i can boot into the other 3 secondary roms, but once i boot into my main rom on the external micro sd card, the primary rom ...just dissappears. it wont let me boot into it, it just shows asus screen.

so i reinstall slimkat 4.4.3 to primary. and then i did a "factory reset" on primary (just to see) and it formats the rom on my microsd card. :(

then i restore onto external micro sd and again its got the jenkins kernel. did multirom twrp grab that kernel when i backed it up? i know for sure it had the rom's intended kernel because i "dirty" flashed or flashed over with the same rom and cleared cache and dalvik,and it showed up in 'about phone'. and then did a back up, but its grabbing that jenkins thing and putting it in the backup? perhaps from the twrp supplied default kernel? i dont know what happeneing.

i want to mention that i am doing things correctly, hopefully. when doing things to the primary rom, i'm doing it from the main screen. for secondry roms, i go to advanced > multirom > choose rom (or change location) > then restore or back up or whatever from that menu.

sorry if this sounds out of order, but i've been messing with it a lot and its great, but is doing weird things like that i've mentioned but in different sequences and different primary/secondary slots, so i thought i'd ask.

i readthe trouble shooting part of OP and i think i may have to do that. what about the "reinstall multirom" built into there?
if that doesnt work, i have to reinstall a different version of twrp, install a rom, then re-install multirom again? also move or rename the multirom folder and move roms back when done?

also, when i set a rom to boot as default from the micro sd, it gets stuck at the multirom screen and doesnt do the count down.
can crombi-kk be installed as a secondary rom now? or does it have to be primary?

how do i restore my backup with the right kernel? do i have to replace the boot.img? how do i extract the boot.img from the rom zip?

Last edited:

zen_phones

Sep 6, 2012
well i did everything in the trouble shooting post in the first few posts and it worked, but still having some same issues.

using fastboot on pc installed non-multirom twrp
booted into recovery right from fastboot screen after install
saw list of empty folders and freaked out for a second
rebooted
saw multirom countdown screen.
picked boot into recovery in multirom screen.
booted intro non-multirom twrp and saw all of my old internal sdcard contents
installed new rom, which then bypassed multirom screen
renamed data/media/0/multirom folder
reinstalled multirom

now from here i rebooted, got multirom screen, looked under usb/sdcard tab and saw my old rom.
booted into it, booted fine (stil had messed up kernel of course)
then tried to boot into primary rom and got stuck on asus screen.

something happens when you boot into a rom on microsd card that nukes the primary.
(btw the external microsd is partitioned when i was doing cromi-x rom2sd into 3 parts, vfat, ext4, ext4. the rom is on the 2nd ext4 partion)

when i go to MR twrp home page and hit reboot it tells me there is no OS installed.

before i did all this i do recall this happening before. i reinstalled the primary rom. and all roms on internal sd booted fine. i could boot them all, back and forth. but once i boot into the external(formated ext4), the primary gets nuked.

i still havent adressed the issue with the weird kernel being included into my backups.

==================================

edit:
ok its more than just booting from external sd card. i backed up a secondary rom (all on internal sd), and restored it as a new secondary (cloning it) and the primary rom isnt recognized by MR anymore. says OS not installed.

should i not be doing this? should all secodarys be clean installs and not restores in attemp to clone roms?

edit 2:
the cloned rom and the orginal rom (both secondarys) wont boot now. maybe somehting happened to the boot image. i cloned the secondary after i knew the primary was unbootable. maybe this is the issue? when no primary, it screws up everything else?

edit3:
i reflashed the same rom in primary and the other secondarys were bootable, but with extreme errors. i was getting a persistent "android.phone" is shutting down error. feels like when the primary rom goes things get shifted, and the roms corrupted.

edit4:
ok i think i know whats going on. about the jenkins@sirius kernel, its from the xtreme pack from the slimkat rom. what im trying to do it test different kernels and cloning roms so if things dont work out i can delete them.
what i did:

installed 2nd rom:
backed up and restored to new clone secondary (3rd) rom.
flashed kernel to 3rd rom.
booted into 2nd and the kernel/ binaries etc or whatever were applied to both secondary roms, even though i only flashed the kernel to one. is this normal?

Last edited:

noahvt

Jan 27, 2013
Antwerpen
Getting assert failure: run_program inject_boot.sh == 0

Tried on cwm and twrp

Sent from my C5303 using XDA Free mobile app

JTOLOGY

Jun 13, 2008
NY-NJ-FL
Is it possible to remove a secondary rom without uninstalling the multirom mod? If so, what are the steps. I installed Cromi as primary and Omni as secondary based off of a TWRP backup I had.. Any help would be appreciated.

Keshukas

Aug 22, 2010
Is it possible to remove a secondary rom without uninstalling the multirom mod? If so, what are the steps. I installed Cromi as primary and Omni as secondary based off of a TWRP backup I had.. Any help would be appreciated.

Yes you can delete multi rom
Boot to twrp go to advance - file manager- then to /data/media/0/multiroom and delete directory with you dont like but not primary

Sent from my D5503 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Last edited:

Keshukas

Aug 22, 2010
P.S. I heve started Ubuntu and KatKiss ROM some second rom

Sent from my D5503 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

P.S.S. To see multiroom directory not empty you most open /data/media/0/multiroom istedet /sdcard/multiroom

Last edited:

zen_phones

Sep 6, 2012
hey any chance of an update of multirom to recent twrp? :)

---------- Post added at 02:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:56 AM ----------

question for anyone/everyone:

i recently reflashed latest twrp over multirom so i can try out f2fs. i really love how much faster it made this tablet. now that my tablet is formated to f2fs (the /data partition) if i flash multirom over it will the f2fs format stay? will this complicate things at all? i did it so i could try f2fs, and wasnt able to do it with multiroms current build. but know i miss having multirom :(

does anyone know i reflash multirom if i'd lose my current f2fs setting?

also does anyone here have multirom AND f2fs going on? if so, how did you do it?

Reactions: Clamor

tux-friend

Aug 9, 2014
hey any chance of an update of multirom to recent twrp?

I wish there was a way to install a newer modified TWRP version for multirom.

I just want to mention that I would also love to see an update with a newer TWRP version and f2fs file system working. Then multirom might be a great base for my current dream combination consisting of KatKiss 5.1.1 ROM and xubuntu 14.04. Maybe I am not the only one who would be interested in this. But anyway, thanks for the great efforts to port multirom so far :good:

Reactions: rmh4812 and Clamor

TacoNikky

Dec 12, 2013
Istanbul
I just want to mention that I would also love to see an update with a newer TWRP version and f2fs file system working. Then multirom might be a great base for my current dream combination consisting of KatKiss 5.1.1 ROM and xubuntu 14.04. Maybe I am not the only one who would be interested in this. But anyway, thanks for the great efforts to port multirom so far :good:

In TF201 thread, they say that it works with multirom. You should visit a russian page for it :laugh:

This ROM works absolutely without any problem as PRIMARY ROM in MultiROM.
If You can Russian, see also here: http://4pda.ru/forum/index.php?showtopic=308957&view=findpost&p=37626732

Reactions: tux-friend

tux-friend

Aug 9, 2014
In TF201 thread, they say that it works with multirom. You should visit a russian page for it :laugh:

Thanks for the information. However, it does not seem to work. I have tested it by myself. At first I have installed KatKiss 5.1.1 ROM with f2fs formatted /data partition. Then I have installed multirom but I simply cannot use the multirom subdir in TRWP in order to manage multirom or install other ROMs. So, probably there is a misunderstanding about the linked web page. But I have to confess that I am not perfect Russian speaker :)

Hmmm ... I am not really sure how difficult it is to make an update because the used TWRP version for multirom is not really up-to-date anymore and newer versions are available which also offer the chance to use the f2fs system. furthermore, I think that there will be a gradual shift to use f2fs file system more frequently in newer custom ROMs so it would be great to have an updated version of multirom.

Is there any chance that this will become true? Anyway, I appreciate the great efforts of the developer so far. Many thanks!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    MultiROM lets you install multiple ROMs into subfolders, just by flashing them using a modified TWRP.

This is an unofficial port of MultiROM originally developed for the Nexus series to our beloved TF300T.
    Big thanks @Tasssadar for the original work!

THIS IS AN EARLY VERSION OF THIS PORT, NOT ALL FEATURES ARE FULLY TESTED.
    But please test and give feedback, so I can eventually remove above line.

Features
    • Run a primary Android ROM from the normal partitions.
    • Run multiple secondary ROMs from subfolders on an SD card or on an external USB stick/drive.
    • Easily add/update your primary and secondary ROMs using a modified version of TWRP.
    • Install Ubuntu and Ubuntu Touch as secondary ROMs Not supported yet.
    And more...

Changes vs. official MultiROM

This section is mostly useful for people using MultiROM on another device. New users can safely ignore it.

My first test - installing a plain CM 11, installing MultiROM, and then installing OmniROM with its own kernel - failed gloriously. The reason was that the official MultiROM re-uses the kernel of the currently installed Android system and that kernel does not include the kexec hardboot patch required for MultiROM to work properly.

The beauty of MultiROM is that - once installed with a proper kernel - it allows an average user that has never heard about kexec and never installed a custom kernel to run multi-boot at the touch of a finger. So I decided that my first simple use case must be supported.

The obvious solution was to ship a working kernel with MultiROM, save the currenly installed kernel for the primary ROM and boot that via kexec. The idea is to sacrifice another 10 secs on booting the primary ROM for making MultiROM much easier to install and to use. However, this decision led to several changes in the TWRP user interface:
    • The "share kernel with primary ROM" option was removed. Each ROM has its own boot image and is always booted via kexec.
    • The "Inject current boot sector" on the MultiROM screen button was replaced with a "Reinstall" button. Use this, if you have overwritten the boot sector, for example via fastboot. Mind, reinstalling MultiROM will save the current boot partition and use it for booting straight into the primary ROM, so better make sure this works, before running reinstall, or you won't be able to boot into your primary ROM after reinstallation.
    • The "Add/Remove boot.img" button on the ROM management screen has been replaced with "Replace boot.img" and can be used to easily install a custom kernel for that ROM.
    Looking forward to your feedback on this major change!

Downloads

Downloads are available from the "Downloads" tab at the top of the page.
    • MultiROM installer including the modified TWRP:
      multirom-vXX-YYYYMMDD-UNOFFICIAL-tf300t.zip
    • TWRP for MultiROM (not needed, if you use the installer):
      twrp-multirom-vXX-YYYYMMDD-UNOFFICIAL-tf300t.blob

Installing and Upgrading MultiROM

Please read the following instructions carefully, and make sure you understand each step and what it will do to your tablet. The steps are working for me, but you are ultimately responsible, for what you are doing with your own tablet. I will not be responsible, if you brick your tablet, or if your wife gets angry at you for being too preoccupied with your tablet.
    1. Make a backup!
      MultiROM will modify your system, and if anything goes wrong, this backup will be more than helpful.
    2. Check the version of your bootloader.
      On the bootloader screen, check the version shown on the top left. MultiROM was ported and tested on version 10.6.1.27.5. If your bootloader version is 10.6.1.27.1 or 10.6.1.15.3 you should have no issues. Version 10.6.1.8 might work, but is likely to cause issues; upgrading is highly suggested. For any other version, make sure you first upgrade your bootloader, or you risk ending up with a brick,
    3. Flash the lastest multirom-vXX-YYYYYYYY-UNOFFICIAL-tf300t.zip
    4. Reboot right away!
    5. Make sure you see the blue progressbar on the first boot screen and you see another automatic reboot.
      Then the MultiROM boot screen should show up.
    Now you should be able to boot your primary ROM via MultiROM. For next steps, check out "Installing ROMs" in the next post.

Uninstall MultiROM

The uninstaller for the official MultiROM has not been ported yet, but you can get rid of MultiROM following these steps:
    1. Flash your favourite (not MultiROM) recovery.
    2. Restore your boot partition from a backup or re-flash your ROM.
    3. Remove the "multirom" folder on the sdcard.
    The latter is optional. You may keep it around for trying MultiROM again later.

Changes

• 2014-03-16:
      • Fixed MultiROM reinstallation from TWRP.
      • Some fixes for swapping primary/secondary ROMs.
      • Some fixes for primary ROM initrd.
      • Added support for Ubuntu Touch (needs upcoming manager app).
    • 2014-03-02:
      • Support secondary ROMs on SD card (not fully tested).
      • Use packaged initrd instead of the primary ROM's.
      • Some bug fixes.
    • 2014-02-13:
      • Allows flashing 4.2-based ROMs without removing the assert line in the updater-script.
      • Several bug fixes for more stability.
    Note that changes may be documented, before the downloads are available. Please check back a little later in that case.

Future Work

In no particular order:
    • Provide uninstaller.
    • Add the missing features listed above.
    • Fix TWRP for encrypted filesystems.
    • Allow replacing the kernel for any ROM, keeping the ramdisk.
    • Remove unnecessary drivers (net, sound, camera) from the kernel (currently breaks building the kernel).

XDA:DevDB Information
    MultiROM for TF300T, a Tool/Utility for the Asus Transformer TF300T

Contributors
    f69m

Version Information

Created 2014-02-11
    Last Updated 2014-03-16
    Installing ROMs

Custom 4.2- and 4.4-based ROMs
    • To install/update your primary ROM, just flash it as usual with the modified MultiROM TWRP, using "Install" from the main screen.
    • Installing a secondary ROM is just as easy, but use:
      Advanced > MultiROM > Add ROM
    • You can update a secondary ROM by flashing it from the ROM management screen, using;
      Advanced > MultiROM > List ROMs > [select your ROM] > Flash ZIP
    • OTA updates using the update manager coming with your ROM should work fine for both primary and secondary ROMs.
    Note: It is no longer necessary to remove the assertion from a 4.2 updater-script.

Gaps, SuperSU, etc.

You can flash additional ZIP files for a secondary ROM from the ROM management screen, using:
    Advanced > MultiROM > List ROMs > [select your ROM] > Flash ZIP

Asus Stock ROM

Asus stock ROM has a different installer and won't work the same way as custom ROMs.
    Here are the steps to install stock ROM as your primary ROM:
    Sorry, I have not tested this myself yet, please let me know, how it works out.
    1. Unzip the Asus ROM twice to get the blob.
    2. Flash the blob using fastboot.
    3. Boot into stock ROM.
    4. Re-install the modified TWRP using fastboot (use the separate download).
    5. In TWRP: Advanced > MultiROM > Reinstall.
    This should give you a working MultiROM setup with stock ROM as your primary ROM.
    If you need more detailed instructions on the first two steps, please refer to the guides in the General section.

Ubuntu Touch
    Coming soon...

Ubuntu
    Not working yet.

Notes on Specific ROMs

CROMi-X 5.3
    Don't try to install CROMi-X as a secondary ROM. It has an amazing installer, but that will nuke your primary ROM's /system partition.

Trouble-shooting

If your primary or one of your secondary ROMs is not booting properly, it can help to restore the boot partition of the primary ROM and then do a clean reinstall of MultiROM.
    No worries, you can move your installed secondary ROMs to the side and move them back later.
    1. First try restoring the boot partition from your latest backup, before installing MultiROM and reboot.
      If your device boots cleanly into your primary ROM, without showing the MultiROM boot screen, you can skip ahad to step 3.
    2. Next try flashing an unmodified recovery, re-flash your primary ROM and reboot.
      If your device boots cleanly into your primary ROM without showing the MultiROM boot screen, you are ready to go to step 3.
      Otherwise you should post your issue.
    3. Use a root terminal or a root exlorer to remove the folder /data/media/0/multirom.
      Alternatively you can rename that folder, keeping your installed ROMs.
      Note: though this folder is on the sdcard, you have to use the path given; trying to use /sdcard or /storage you will get "permission denied", when trying to remove or rename the folder.
    4. Reflash the latest multirom-v*.zip and reboot.
    5. Make sure you see the blue progressbar on the first boot screen and you see another automatic reboot.
      Then the MultiROM boot screen should show up.
    6. Try booting your primary ROM. It should now start cleanly.
    7. Try installing a secondary ROM, or move it back to /data/media/0/multirom/roms/ from the folder you renamed above.
      Just moving back the folder will make it show up on the MultiROM boot screen.
    Please read and follow each step carefully.
    If these steps do not make all your ROMs boot properly, please post about your issue in this thread.
    Source Code Repositories

The easiest way to build MultiROM is using my manifest following the build instructions below.
    Here is a list of the MultiROM-specific repositories that can be built by adding them to the OmniROM tree:
    Look out for branches named "multirom-*" in above repositories.
    Please check the manifest for the latest stable branch.

Build Instructions

Using my manifest makes it easy to check out the MultiROM repositories and a small part of the OmniROM tree needed for building.
    Code:
    repo init -u git://github.com/f69m/android -b multirom
    repo sync
    manifest/pick-cherries.sh
    source build/envsetup.sh
    lunch mrom_tf300t-userdebug
    make -j4 multirom_zip
    Test report!!!

Since i was bored this morning and also that TF300T and ME301T are pretty much close, i have made this test with MultiRom on my ME301T, maybe others are curious to know:

- Primary Rom: CROMi-X5.4
    - Secondary Rom (Internal memory): CM 10.2 from one nandroid backup that i have on my sdcard
    - Third Rom (Internal memory): CM 11 Latest Official Nightly for TF300T
    - Fourth Rom (Internal memory): OmniROM for ME301T
    - Fifth Rom (USB storage): CMB 4.4.2 for TF300T

Conclusion:
    - all roms from internal memory works great without any issues
    - that one from usb storage (Corsair Flash Voyager USB3.0 32GB/NTFS) its a little laggy
    - i only TEST MultiRom with these roms, which i will definetely wont use them all
    - it would be nice to see support for sdcard in the future.

Cheers!
    First of all, let me say thanks for all the hard work you have done. Its developers like you that make this dinasour of a tablet brand new again. That includes you too Sdbags. Second of all, because i use this tablet for school and work purposes, I probably wont install it until its updated some more. Thanks so much for making this tablet amazing!! :D

Sent from my TF300T using Tapatalk 2