Opera 9.33 beta - here it is...

Search This thread

flykthewiz

Dec 23, 2004
Derby
Does anyone know the registry entry that defines the windows default browser?
I would like this to remain at Pocket Internet Explorer, since e.g. the Timetable of Lufthansa German Airllines (www.lufthansa.com) works only with Pocket Internet Explorer but not with Opera or any other.

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Shell\Rai\: DEFBROWSER (no space)

and possibly

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Shell\Rai\:MSPIE

Jjday7

Dec 1, 2007
works great for me and its real good for downloading files from what I can tell. the only thing that sucks is when you zoom in too soon and the page has not fully loaded which causes text to be blurred and you have to zoom out and zoom back in. I still think it's a great browser. Netfront is a little better at finger scrolling though

naisren

Jul 23, 2007
How to remove cleartype effect, who can tell me.
this browser, if adding auto div function like Opera Mini, absolutely be rocking.

naisren

Jul 23, 2007
In the Help folder, you can read the following intro for Opera Mobile 9, anyone has a chance to try them on Opera Mobile9?

----------------------------------------------------
Opera offers several display options that can be activated using Menu > Display

Zoom
Select Zoom to change the zoom of the current page. This option will scale images, text, and other page content.

Load images
For faster browsing and lower cost, you may choose to display only images that have already been cached locally by Opera. This setting is changed by selecting Load images from the Display menu.

Full-screen mode
Activate this mode to use the entire screen for browsing. The standard menu and title bars will not be shown in full-screen mode. To return to normal mode, use the soft keys that would normally activate the browser's menus.

Fit to screen
Opera's Small-Screen Rendering (SSR) technology reformats Web pages intended for desktop browsing to fit the screen of your device. This mode is on by default, and is activated by selecting Fit to screen from the Display menu. If you select Desktop from the Display menu, Opera will show Web pages without changing their layout.

Single column
On high-resolution screens, pages may become hard to read in portrait mode. Selecting Menu > Display > Single column forces a simpler rendering mode that normally will increase readability.

netnerd

Dec 4, 2006
ATT California USA
the new opera is NOT SLOW!
i'm running it on Imate 6150 VGA!
it loads pages just as fast as netfront 3.5!
but i like the new opera better!
netfront 3.5 makes my head dizzy! when i stop moving the stylus, the screen still scrolling on netfront 3.5!

fredcatsmommy

Sep 26, 2007
I can't get the cab to install-either of them. Gets about half to two-thirds of the way, and then says it can't install. Anyone else having that problem?

darkerror05

Jan 15, 2008
I tried the original download. It installed fine but wont load the app. It shows the opera splash screen then errors saying "Could not initilize DirectDraw". This is on a HTC universal.

Chainfire

Moderator Emeritus / Senior Recognized Developer
Oct 2, 2007
www.chainfire.eu
I had this problem earlier today when reinstalling Opera while having used non-uninstallable version before. Never found out what the issue was, just hard-reset + backup restore (from just before opera 9 install) and then it worked fine again. (yeah not great advice I know)

rdwing

Aug 30, 2007
SF Bay Area
I had this problem earlier today when reinstalling Opera while having used non-uninstallable version before. Never found out what the issue was, just hard-reset + backup restore (from just before opera 9 install) and then it worked fine again. (yeah not great advice I know)

That would be the best route but however, I don't have THAT recent of a backup...So I'm trying to use Total Commander to find all files related to opera, and PHM registry editor to scrub everything out.

rdwing

Aug 30, 2007
SF Bay Area
That would be the best route but however, I don't have THAT recent of a backup...So I'm trying to use Total Commander to find all files related to opera, and PHM registry editor to scrub everything out.

Seems like it really doesn't matter...if you go delete all files related to opera...
reg keys, files under \program files, \windows, and \application data, it will still say that it failed to install, but it actually installs just fine. Go look in your start menu and it should be there.
-RdWing

Blowfish64

Nov 25, 2006
Tried to log into Hotmail on this browser. Says I need to have Javascript installed. When I go into settings, java is checked as running. Looks like this browser doesn't support java after all. :(

huh, seems to be working with the newer qvga version posted. Weird. But now it seems like the double tap is kinda finicky. Never can have everything, eh?

Last edited:

pdx77

May 30, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
That help file is actually for 8.65 and not 9.33 or whatever version this is, they just haven't updated the help file yet.

In the Help folder, you can read the following intro for Opera Mobile 9, anyone has a chance to try them on Opera Mobile9?

Opera offers several display options that can be activated using Menu > Display

Zoom
Select Zoom to change the zoom of the current page. This option will scale images, text, and other page content.

Load images
For faster browsing and lower cost, you may choose to display only images that have already been cached locally by Opera. This setting is changed by selecting Load images from the Display menu.

Full-screen mode
Activate this mode to use the entire screen for browsing. The standard menu and title bars will not be shown in full-screen mode. To return to normal mode, use the soft keys that would normally activate the browser's menus.

Fit to screen
Opera's Small-Screen Rendering (SSR) technology reformats Web pages intended for desktop browsing to fit the screen of your device. This mode is on by default, and is activated by selecting Fit to screen from the Display menu. If you select Desktop from the Display menu, Opera will show Web pages without changing their layout.

Single column
On high-resolution screens, pages may become hard to read in portrait mode. Selecting Menu > Display > Single column forces a simpler rendering mode that normally will increase readability.