What is a 'mock location'.

Search This thread

octavia

Oct 6, 2008
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 5G
Hi,

I'm posting this here because I'm kind of in a hurry and I might get a better answer here. I'm translating an Android phone, and it's full of commands in very broken English. So I ran across this term (mock) that I've never seen in such context and I want to know if that's the actual name or it's just broken English for 'fake' (fictitious).

This is the description of the function:
mock location

Create mock location sources for testing. Malicious applications can use this to override the location and/or status returned by real location sources such as GPS or Network providers.

'Mock' to me is this: sticking your tongue out and make fun of the stupid :p so I don't get it. The term 'fake' is also used so it somebody might have overlooked at it and use 'mock' instead, or it's a different process. I'd appreciate any help.

rikupw

Dec 14, 2008
Federal Way, Wa
www.twitter.com
mock location is the actual term used to allow you to specify (I believe in the android emulator) a location seperate from what you're actually at (to allow GPS on the emulator, when there is actually no GPS hardware preset, used for testing purposes)

Reactions: Ashish24

Titan33

Feb 17, 2010
I know this is an old topic but with everything being said do we want the "mock location box checked on or unchecked off??

Burko

Mar 8, 2007
If the phone can fake locations randomly, surely it can also fake location on demand to wherever a user wanted?

This would be extremely helpful for apps which are location based. i.e nba league pass.

evilkorn

Jun 10, 2009
Boynton Beach, FL
Google Pixel 3 XL
If the phone can fake locations randomly, surely it can also fake location on demand to wherever a user wanted?

This would be extremely helpful for apps which are location based. i.e nba league pass.

No, this is referred to in the emulator (on a computer) not the actual phone.

I have never seen my phone fake a location randomly. Talk to the NBA about blackout restrictions.

Devin-J

Sep 6, 2011
California
thank you very much for the info

thank you very much for the info

and wow this is the second search result in google.com for 'what is allow mock locations android' HAHA. :p:p

zeese5

Apr 26, 2009
Hi all!

I got a bluetooth gps that I sometimes use it and sometimes I used the phone's built in gps. To use the bluetooth, I need to enable the 'allow mock locations'. To use built in gps hardware, I believe I need to switch off the 'allow mock locations' setting.

However, to keep turn on and off that setting everytime I switch between bluetooth gps and phone's gps is not very 'comfortable'. I wonder, is it ok for me to leave the setting enabled all the time. Will it affect the accuracy of my location when I'm using the phone's built in gps?

Thanks.

tkjtkj

Mar 22, 2009
northampton, ma.
If it's an emulator function, why is it's switch on the phone?

mock location is the actual term used to allow you to specify (I believe in the android emulator) a location seperate from what you're actually at (to allow GPS on the emulator, when there is actually no GPS hardware preset, used for testing purposes)

If it's an emulator function, why is it's switch on the phone?

oh .. maybe to turn off the phone's GPS when connected via USB to the computer?
If so, its a strangely-labeled thing!

appzdevelopers

Dec 5, 2013
I was looking for information regarding mock location and found this article very much helpful. Actually, I am developing an security application which includes mock location...

Denfic

Mar 4, 2011
Deadpool City
Do not get it to work ...omly when connecting usb ... and its says wireless on wifi when its on usb and tethering mode ??? not really wireless is`nt it ?? don`t get it ??

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I know this is an old topic but with everything being said do we want the "mock location box checked on or unchecked off??

If you want to accurately get a pinpoint of your location you want it off.
    If you want it to tell you strange locations like Antarctica then turn it on.
    It means it is not a real location obtained from the GPS.
    Thank you so much to the both of you!