[PORT] Ubuntu 11.10 Native (Alpha 0.0.4)

Search This thread

itechnoguy

Feb 11, 2010
Los Angeles
No matter what I do, the unzipping always hangs at different points. The TouchPadBuntuRootfs.tgz file is at /media/internal, and I have even tried manually running the command to unpack it, but it always hangs at random points. (Although manually executing the command usually gets farther before hanging, and the script usually hangs when unpacking to /var)

Last edited:

metal1f3

Dec 28, 2010
Arkansas
No matter what I do, the unzipping always hangs at different points. The TouchPadBuntuRootfs.tgz file is at /media/internal, and I have even tried manually running the command to unpack it, but it always hangs at random points. (Although manually executing the command usually gets farther before hanging, and the script usually hangs when unpacking to /var)

Where/what are you running the commands from?
Have you tried redownloading TouchPadBuntuRootfs.tgz?

Musik847

Mar 9, 2010
AZ

Get pre ware and get xecutah from there and run the commands the exact same way. I tried for hours the normal way and it would always freeze. Xecutah works great

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

nello92

Jan 17, 2011
Corno di Rosazzo
www.androidpit.it
hello world! i'm an android dev and i'm veryy keen on this...i like ubuntu and have it on my tp will be awesome...but...why don't u get some lines of code from Cyanogenmod9 (CM9) for the touchpad and put them at the right place to make audio working on ubuntu? i don't know how ubuntu drivers work but i think that audio code from android, that is linux too, can be used to make audio work on hp touchpad

ty so much for this port ^^

keep up the good work

arseny1991

May 19, 2009
Athens
hello world! i'm an android dev and i'm veryy keen on this...i like ubuntu and have it on my tp will be awesome...but...why don't u get some lines of code from Cyanogenmod9 (CM9) for the touchpad and put them at the right place to make audio working on ubuntu? i don't know how ubuntu drivers work but i think that audio code from android, that is linux too, can be used to make audio work on hp touchpad

ty so much for this port ^^

keep up the good work

oh please make this work and integrate brightness control with some sort of a slider as on cm9 !!!! :)

chessmaster W/nook

Apr 23, 2011
Malvern, PA
Alright then thank you very much. I appreciate the reply. So what problems are you taking on right now?

I was trying to get random things here and there working, but my Touchpad broke and I had to open it up and take out the battery. Then it broke again, forcing me to rm -rf / and redo all the partitions. Now I'm trying to get everything back to how it was.

linkmaster_6

Feb 26, 2009
I was trying to get random things here and there working, but my Touchpad broke and I had to open it up and take out the battery. Then it broke again, forcing me to rm -rf / and redo all the partitions. Now I'm trying to get everything back to how it was.

Thank you very much for the kind replys. That sucks man. Im sorry to hear that. Good luck to you man. I wish I knew more about linux and unix so I could help you :(

lologuil

Dec 23, 2011
Feedbacks about autonomy

Hi everyone,

Can someone give feedbacks about the autonomy under Ubuntu? Does it worth to use it instead of the classical chroot?

Thanks

CalcProgrammer1

Oct 8, 2007
Kansas City
https://gitorious.org/freedreno/

Open-source Adreno driver! Just announced on Slashdot, I really hope we can make use of this! If it does work, the possibilities are endless...Unity 3D, Cinnamon, Compiz...it will be a real, useful system!

Anyways, just thought it was worth pointing out. I don't have much time as I'm finishing up my senior year of college now, but I will try integrating this hopefully after I graduate and have some free time. May need kernel modifications, which would make it a bit more difficult as I haven't done TouchPad kernels before. Hopefully other developers will pick it up and give it a shot as well.

EDIT:

I compiled and installed the freedreno driver, it appears to load successfully starting X but fails to open a DRM device and thus X does not work. I'm going to look into it, might be a kernel issue, there's an IRC for freedreno drivers I'll hang out on for info.

EDIT AGAIN!

Our kernel may not have DRM enabled (this is the accelerated video protocol DRM, not the stupid anti-user software lockout DRM). I haven't compiled my own Ubuntu kernel for TouchPad before, anyone have a .config to play with? I also would like to try compiling the 3.0 kernel for Ubuntu, apparently most things are working on it but it still has issues in Android.

AND AGAIN!

I've compiled a 3.0 kernel with DRM support and have framebuffer console working. It appears to get stuck in the boot process. I would like to know where the ramdisk we use for Ubuntu came from. This likely has some issues that need to be resolved to work correctly with the 3.0 kernel. I may look at the ramdisk from the ArchLinux port. New modules will need to be built for WiFi, but for now I'll focus on getting the GUI back up and hopefully with acceleration.

Last edited:

crazyd1721

Feb 28, 2010
Ivr been trying to install this for the past week... I've Google for step by step instructions.. how do I get into novacom? I have cm9 installed so I know I have it just don't know where I should start typing out the scripts.. another issue is I don't have a media/internal I just have a media on the root... any info is greatly appreciated...

Sent from my swiper using xda premium

CalcProgrammer1

Oct 8, 2007
Kansas City
You install from WebOS, not CM9. Novacom/Novaterm is a USB debugging system for WebOS that gives you a root terminal over USB. You must enable developer mode for this. There are plenty of videos out there to help.

To developers:

We should look into issues with the 3.0 kernel (https://github.com/jcsullins/kernel-tenderloin-3.0). I've compiled it and attached the existing ramdisk image from the current kernel. It successfully inits and loads the Ubuntu rootfs, but there are a ton of errors on boot and it never gets to the display. I wasn't around here for much of the early kernel work and am not sure what all was done to get the Ubuntu rootfs booting on 2.6.35.

I've also tried booting the ArchLinux ARM rootfs with this kernel and it too has errors, it seems to init more cleanly but never starts X. Ultimately the new kernel will allow us to use the Freedreno driver and hopefully get 2D/3D acceleration.

Last edited:

crazyd1721

Feb 28, 2010
I have Ubuntu working all good... now I'm trying to edit the bash.bashrc file but I need root access... what would be the user name and password... reason I'm trying to edit this file is try and get the Java_home to point to open jdk...

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using xda premium

CalcProgrammer1

Oct 8, 2007
Kansas City
I have Ubuntu working all good... now I'm trying to edit the bash.bashrc file but I need root access... what would be the user name and password... reason I'm trying to edit this file is try and get the Java_home to point to open jdk...

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using xda premium

User: ubuntu
Pass: ubuntu
Sudo pass: ubuntu

Get the idea?

EDIT:
Freedreno is up, performance is on par with existing non-accelerated driver even in very early development stages. Also, while compiling my own kernel I decided to add some things that were left out in other releases including NTFS R/W support, ext4, CDROM FS (for USB CD drive), LED Triggers, and maybe some other things. LED triggers are awesome, not sure why they weren't compiled in. With LED triggers you can use the core_navi (home button) left and right LED's to indicate various system activities. The most useful one is 'mmc0' which displays disk usage on the internal SD card (flashes the LED as if it were a hard disk activity LED on your PC). I like seeing the disk activity, knowing that *something* is happening in the machine, and this is a good way to do it.

I haven't got WiFi or Bluetooth working again but once I do I'll upload my .config and maybe post my own copy of kernel source pre-configured for native Linux.

http://pastebin.com/TeqHqD1i <--Config for 2.6.35 CM Gingerbread kernel , must apply these patches: http://code.google.com/p/touchpad-dev/wiki/KernelPatches as well

Last edited:
Reactions: HPTeePee

crazyd1721

Feb 28, 2010
Thanks i was able to figure out that you have to use sudo commands instead of su to root... just having an issue with java and not being able to load a shared library.. i did some research on this and it might be linked to not having the correct open jdk installed..

CalcProgrammer1

Oct 8, 2007
Kansas City
You can update this rootfs to Ubuntu 12.04 (Precise Pangolin) using the built in update manager. I didn't think this would work, but it does. Run update manager and enable the software sources, then run:

sudo update-manager --devel-release

which should detect that development release 12.04 is out and allow you to upgrade. Works fine but it screwed up my install of Freedreno video driver (had to recompile, now it's fine). After the 26th it shouldn't need --devel-release as the release will be official.

Jun 22, 2010
Video driver

Since the new video driver is compiled and loaded, why is the performance no better? Are graphics hardware accelerated or not yet?

CalcProgrammer1

Oct 8, 2007
Kansas City
The driver is in very early development stages. Technically it IS accelerated, meaning that the GPU is being used to draw the screen, but it is not being used efficiently. For one, only 2D mode is supported (as the 3D system is still being reverse engineered) and it is only sending one command at a time when apparently a whole bundle of commands can be sent together to speed up performance.

However, with the kernel set up such that the driver runs, whenever Freedreno is updated with more features it should be easy to update TouchPad Ubuntu to use them. Also, the main developer of Freedreno (Rob Clark) bought himself a TouchPad and is going to use it for Adreno reverse engineering and wants to do work on the 3.0 kernel to get Ubuntu running on it.

Reactions: HPTeePee

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    WARNING, DRAGONS AHEAD!
    IF YOU DIDN'T ALREADY KNOW, BY INSTALLING THIS, YOUR WARRANTY IS PROBABLY VOID! I won't be responsible if your TP bricks, needs doctoring, catches fire, skins adorable puppies and kittens, BBQs your "crown jewels", eats your children, starts WW3, explodes or commits seppuku!

Special thanks go to:
    • jcsullins - The guy who made all of this possible by creating moboot, and he created kernel patches that fix the weird-ass framebuffer glitches, and he made the userspace touchscreen driver. This guy is a f**king GENIUS!
    • jeanfrancis - pointed me towards better-initramfs, as well as showing me some code on pointing that initramfs to an LV.
    • crimsonredmk - showed me the Arch Linux documentation for the TP, and wrote the original instructions for getting Arch Linux on the TP, which I have taken and adapted.
    • The CyanogenMod Team - For creating CM7, and getting it working on the TouchPad.
    • perpe - made a working rootfs to get it booting while I was busy :)

Installation instructions: http://code.google.com/p/hp-touchpad-ubuntu/wiki/Installation

Apply to join the dev team! https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dGJYWDJJbUNKT0ZlanZSVVB4aElTZHc6MQ

CHANGELOG:
    Alpha 0.0.4:
    Code:
    - Kernel panic on boot issue should now be fixed
    - Location of sys files changed
    Alpha 0.0.3:
    Code:
    - Added userspace touchscreen driver
    - Hopefully fixed kernel panic on boot
    Alpha 0.0.2:
    Code:
    - Patched framebuffers to prevent color and mouse cursor glitches
    - Released kernel sources
    Alpha 0.0.1:
    Code:
    - Initial Release
    12.10 version 2 [NOW MORE USER-FRIENDLY!]

New version of Ubuntu 12.10
    Hello everyone. It's been a while since I released 12.10 (beta 1 at the time) for TP. It was quite large and somewhat buggy, with a few regressions from

I am proud to present you with a completely reworked, fully up-to-date new version of Ubuntu 12.10.

What works:
    - USB OTG
    - Touchscreen + Service (ts_srv_0, ts_srv_90)
    - GNOME 3 - fallback only
    - Sound (only through the speaker for now)
    - Wi-Fi (NetworkManager)
    - Bluetooth (tested, HID k/b visible from gnome3)

Useful features (now mostly in the right places):
    - Multi-Threaded Memory Compression (zram) and Swap (already present on all TouchPads)
    - Proper fstab mounts: sdcard, read-only boot and read-only webOS root
    - udev kernel patch, fixes the "failed to recieve ctrl connection: Function not implemented" error.
    - Many more kernel modules, examples: CIFS/SMB, NFS v3/v4, LED triggers, and more.
    - Tiny kernel and initramfs, both compresssed with LZMA instead of gzip (3.3MB down from 5.4MB)
    - Zenity powered GUI enabled brightness changer (Applications->System Tools->Set Brightness)
    - Zenity powered GUI enabled screen rotator (Applications->System Tools->Touchscreen Rotation)
    - PulseAudio bypassed and replaced with ALSA dmix/dsnoop for gstreamer (fixes crashing Rhythmbox/Totem)
    - Spiffy console font, t.fnt.gz (set at boot)
    - All legacy init scripts that are Touchpad related have been ported to Upstart.
    - No sudo password prompt. This is needed for the zenity scripts to function properly!
    - Command line battery information script: /usr/bin/battery
    - Brightness changer (setbrightness) will still work from cmdline, just use the brightness # as an argument
    - Freedreno (still no ExA)
    - Symbolic links from user directory to SDcard save wasted space for music, pictures, downloads and videos/movies
    - Far smaller than before (516 MB down from 836MB)

logins
    login: ubuntu
    password: ubuntu

login: root
    password: root

download links (You'll need all four!)
    Kernel [3.3 MiB]: http://www.mediafire.com/?4y2adpjdvrhl2lh
    Part 1 [200 MiB]: http://www.mediafire.com/?190elok4akdw482
    Part 2 [200 MiB]: http://www.mediafire.com/?hhiyp0w8jef5p5w
    Part 3: [104.62 MiB]: http://www.mediafire.com/?4u49m34xmftlx9h

install instructions
    (You'll need at least MoBoot to be installed already.)
    1. If you don't already have Ubuntu on your TP, run the "4GBPartition.sh" but not the other scripts. Either way, BACK UP.
    2. Install my new, modified kernel in /boot. (The modules and Freedreno driver are already included in the tgz.)
    3. Download the TouchPadBuntuRootfs1210v2.tar.gz.1, 2 and 3 files from MediaFire to the root of the SD card/internal storage of the TP.
    4. Run the following commands in novaterm:

Code:
    mount -o remount,rw /boot
    cd /media/internal
    cp uImage.Ubuntu /boot
    cat TouchPadBuntuRootfs1210v2.tar.gz.* > TouchPadBuntuRootfs1210v2.tar.gz
    mkdir -p ubuntu-root
    mkfs.ext3 /dev/store/ubuntu-root
    mount /dev/store/ubuntu-root ubuntu-root
    cd ubuntu-root
    tar -xvpzf ../TouchPadBuntuRootfs1210v2.tar.gz
    cd ..
    umount /dev/store/ubuntu-root
    sync
    mount -o remount,ro /boot
    reboot
    5. Select Ubuntu in the moboot menu to boot Ubuntu 12.10 final!!
    After a 3/4-month hiatus (who's counting anyway?), I have returned to XDA :D
    I'm reading through to thread ATM to get up to speed on the excellent work Calc has been doing on the project (thanks for picking up the slack when I disappeared :cool:), but after my exams are finished and the term is over (2-3 wks), I'll be hopping back into development.
    Thread Cleaned of useless arguments and off topic replies. Stay on topic.
    And that statement makes me look forward to this port even more. Ya need to post a donate link, mate. I'll be looking for it.

Sent from my HTC Vision using xda premium

I'm not accepting donations until I can show working code, which should be in about 1 week.