[Q] automatic and continuous reboot

Search This thread

tpankfashank

Jul 2, 2014
First off: I have an AT&T HTC one X
I am an almost total noob when it comes to this stuff so please bear with me here.

I had my roommate put cyanogenmod onto my phone when I got it and all was well until I moved to Asia and got an unlock code from AT&T to be able to use it over here. The unlock code wouldn't work and I found some stuff online saying that it might be a problem with cyanogenmod.

I followed a youtube instruction guide on how to get rid of the mod and everything was going fine until right at the end when I got a windows notification that the RUU had stopped working. I figured I would just do it again, but the actual program itself said it was successful. As I waited for it to reboot and load the roms, it started a loop. The loop is the white screen with the green htc letters for a few seconds and then it goes to a black screen with a phone logo in the middle. Around the phone logo is what looks like a recycling symbol except circular instead of triangular and on the screen portion of the phone logo there is an arrow facing down.

I assume this is just telling me I need to actually download some software on the phone, but it won't connect via USB and every time it starts up it says that the drivers were not successfully installed and htc sync manager doesn't recognize that a device is even connected. The loop continued and i tried to boot it back into the fastloader which did nothing. I held down the buttons as if to boot it into fastloader, but this time for about 15 seconds which took me to a battery charging screen and finally ended the loop.

I assume(hope) that since it's actually responding to input from the buttons that it's not irreversibly bricked. Is there any way I can get some version of android back on this thing? Any help would be much appreciated

Heisenberg

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 29, 2011
Knocking on your door
OnePlus 9 Pro
Are you able to get the phone into the bootloader?
To boot into the bootloader there are two methods.

With phone powered on
Hold the volume down button, then hold the power button (so you're holding both buttons together), the button lights will start to flash, they will stop flashing and the screen will go blank, after a couple of seconds let go of the power button but continue to hold the volume down button until you reach the white screen with text, this is your bootloader.

With phone powered off
Hold the volume down button, then hold the power button (so you're holding both buttons together), after a couple of seconds let go of the power button but continue to hold the volume down button until you reach the white screen with text, this is your bootloader.

Please post the first five lines. Also, exactly which RUU did you try to use?

Sent from my Evita

marknoll

May 13, 2014
Happened to me as well..I reran ruu and then flashed a custom recovery. That symbol of charging with that arrow scared me. Lol

Swilli89

Jul 12, 2012
Yeah I was the friend that helped tpank unlock and put cyanogenmod on. I'm just too noob to help him halfway across the world get his phone back to stock

Heisenberg

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 29, 2011
Knocking on your door
OnePlus 9 Pro
Yeah I was the friend that helped tpank unlock and put cyanogenmod on. I'm just too noob to help him halfway across the world get his phone back to stock

This is why people should be learning to do things themselves. Now you've put him in a situation where he doesn't know what he's doing, very dangerous on a modified device with root access.

Sent from my Evita

tpankfashank

Jul 2, 2014
the RUU i tried was the update from the htc site "HTC One X for AT&T Software Upgrade 1.29.2014"

the first five lines that appear on the phone are
*** RELOCKED ***
EVITA PVT SHIP S-ON RL
HBOOT-2.18.0000
RADIO-1.35A.32.45.27
OpenDSP-v33.1.0.45.1128

also my computer doesn't recognize my phone is even plugged in at this point

Heisenberg

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 29, 2011
Knocking on your door
OnePlus 9 Pro
Before you attempt to run the RUU again it's very important that we find out what your current CID is, if it's still SuperCID and you run the RUU you could brick your phone. To do this you're gonna need to have a working connection between your phone and your PC, so you'll need to make sure you have drivers installed, and you'll also need to have adb/fastboot installed. Do you have any drivers currently installed? If so, how did you install them?

Sent from my Evita

tpankfashank

Jul 2, 2014
i have the RUU that I showed you and I just installed another RUU on my computer: RUU_M7_UL_JB43_SENSE50_MR_CINGULAR_US_3.17.502.3_Radio_4A.19.3263.13_10.38j.1157.04_release_334235_signed.2.exe but I haven't done anything with that yet. The only drivers I would have on my phone might be the ones from the original RUU I downloaded and ran which got me into this mess in the first palce, but I dont even know if they're on the phone since it's in its current state. I have adb and fastboot from downloading the android sdk slim pack. I also have HTC sync, but I'm not sure how that fits into the equation

Heisenberg

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 29, 2011
Knocking on your door
OnePlus 9 Pro
i have the RUU that I showed you and I just installed another RUU on my computer: RUU_M7_UL_JB43_SENSE50_MR_CINGULAR_US_3.17.502.3_Radio_4A.19.3263.13_10.38j.1157.04_release_334235_signed.2.exe but I haven't done anything with that yet. The only drivers I would have on my phone might be the ones from the original RUU I downloaded and ran which got me into this mess in the first palce, but I dont even know if they're on the phone since it's in its current state. I have adb and fastboot from downloading the android sdk slim pack. I also have HTC sync, but I'm not sure how that fits into the equation

Whoa. Whoa, whoa, whoa. Where on earth did you get that RUU? It isn't even for this device. Delete it now.

Drivers don't go on your phone, they're on your PC. HTC Sync Manager fits into the equation because it's the best way to get the drivers installed on your PC.

Uninstall HTC Sync Manager and the drivers that should be in the same sub-menu in the start bar on your PC. Uninstall any other phone software you might have on your PC.

Install HTC Sync Manager again, put your phone in fastboot mode, connect your phone to your PC, drivers should begin to auto-install.

Navigate to where you have adb.exe and fastboot.exe on your PC (we'll call this your fastboot folder). Shift + right click anywhere within that folder, select open command prompt here, issue the following command:

Code:
fastboot oem readcid

Please post the result.

Before we go any further, I need to be brutally honest with you. Once you have successfully run the correct RUU, which will return the phone to a stock configuration, leave it stock. Judging from your couple of posts here you're on a collision course to bricking your phone. You just don't seen to posses the slightest idea of what you're doing, couple that with owning a modified device, and the results are almost always disastrous. I'm not saying this to be cruel, I'm saying this because I'd hate to see you brick your device. The only way it's safe to have a modified device is if you're willing to put in the hard work of researching (days/weeks/months/years), and continuing to research to stay on top of this ever changing game.

Sent from my Evita

tpankfashank

Jul 2, 2014
ok i attempted all of this, but nothing happens because my computer won't even recognize that my phone is plugged in. So htc sync manager is telling me to connect a device and the command prompt just says <waiting for device> when I type in the command to figure out the CID.

Also, I take no offense from your warning. I wasn't going to try to mess with it any more after I got my the stock OS and my phone unlocked for asian networks. I really appreciate all the help

Heisenberg

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 29, 2011
Knocking on your door
OnePlus 9 Pro
ok i attempted all of this, but nothing happens because my computer won't even recognize that my phone is plugged in. So htc sync manager is telling me to connect a device and the command prompt just says when I type in the command to figure out the CID.

Also, I take no offense from your warning. I wasn't going to try to mess with it any more after I got my the stock OS and my phone unlocked for asian networks. I really appreciate all the help

There's no point in attempting any fastboot command until you can get the PC to recognise the device. Are you using a usb 2.0 port, and the original HTC usb cable? What does it say on the screen of your phone when you connect it while it's in the bootloader? It should say fastboot, fastboot usb, or fastboot ac.

Sent from my Evita

Swilli89

Jul 12, 2012
There's no point in attempting any fastboot command until you can get the PC to recognise the device. Are you using a usb 2.0 port, and the original HTC usb cable? What does it say on the screen of your phone when you connect it while it's in the bootloader? It should say fastboot, fastboot usb, or fastboot ac.

Sent from my Evita

Tpank, use the snipping tool on your computer to post a screen capture of your fastboot adb folder. its the folder that you are running the command prompt from (or should be).

BTW thanks Timaaaaa for helping my friend out. When I unlocked his phone we didn't know he would have the opportunity to move out of the US to Thailand so I figured I would be around to help with something like this. Thanks again.

tpankfashank

Jul 2, 2014

Sent from my Evita

ok so it says "Fastboot usb". I am using the original htc usb cable. I'm not sure if it's a usd 2.0 port all I know is that it's an Intel 6 Series/C200 Series.

When I ran the command prompt it says:
<bootloader> cid: 11111111
OKAY [ 0.017s]

Heisenberg

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 29, 2011
Knocking on your door
OnePlus 9 Pro
Ok, so you have a working fastboot connection now, right? The problem you face at the moment is that you can't run an RUU with your phone in the current configuration. S-on + SuperCID + jb RUU = brick. Your only real option at this stage is to do this:

-Unlock the bootloader at htcdev.
-Flash TWRP recovery.
-Flash a ROM to get the phone booting.
-Get s-off via Facepalm S-off.
-Run the correct at&t RUU to return the device to stock
-Change the CID back to the at&t CID.
-Relock the bootloader.
-Go back to s-on.

That probably seems like a lot of work but it's the only way for you to proceed. I have detailed instructions for several of those procedures in the How-To Guide For Beginners thread in my signature.

Sent from my Evita

Last edited:

tpankfashank

Jul 2, 2014
So I can;t get past the first step because it's not recognizing my phone still. When I ran the first command in the command prompt, where it should have listed my phone it says "List of connected devices" and nothing underneath it.

tpankfashank

Jul 2, 2014
I'm not sure why I can find the CID and not get it listed as an attached device. I tried to run the adb devices command a few times and then ran the fastboot oem readcid command in the same window and I could get the cid but still cant get it to recognize the device

Heisenberg

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 29, 2011
Knocking on your door
OnePlus 9 Pro
Are you attempting adb commands while the device is in fastboot mode? They won't work, only fastboot commands will work there, adb commands work while the phone is booted into the OS. Use "fastboot devices" while in fastboot mode.

Sent from my Evita