[DEV] Voodoo Sound for Transformer v1 for 3.0.1, 3.1. Feature requests and discussion

Search This thread

supercurio

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
May 31, 2010
Chambéry
spectrastudy.com
Hi everyone!

Asus EeePad Transformer hosts a very nice audio codec by Wolfson that powers both the headphone and speaker output.
Its the ultra low power WM8903, implementing a midrange DAC (Wolfson-scale) that outputs a clean and musical signal, and my favorite Class W headphone amp, that gives a clean controlled and accurate output, and is able to drive full-size 300 Ohms headphones without distortion.

The transformer audio power stage is not as powerful as other device I tune so at maximum volume but I'm sure you'll be surprised by the capability of this amp if you compare it to any other mobile non-Voodoo device.
I might limit the maximum gain to +3dB to avoid saturation.

Voodoo sound is:

A control Android application

- Free version (semi broken on Honeycomb ATM, will fix soon): https://market.android.com/details?id=org.projectvoodoo.controlapp
- Plus/Donate version: https://market.android.com/details?id=org.projectvoodoo.controlappdonate

Plus version gives the ability to get full Voodoo sound implementation without depending on a custom kernel. Root is required to load the additional driver.
Free version requires a kernel implementing Voodoo sound GPL patches as you'll find plenty on XDA.

Features of the v1 :

I'll be very accurate and describe the exact change so far.
As usual, you get what you see.
What Voodoo sound driver v1 does on transformer is mapping volume to the headphone amplifier hardware control.

In the standard configuration, here is how it works: Most time only half or less of the Dynamic Range of the DAC is used (depending on the current output volume) by trimming the signal amplitude in a digital way.

What brings the driver v1 is a maximization of the digital volume, so the system works really on 16bit instead of 12 or even less at low volumes. And instead of that you control directly the analog gain of the Class W headphone amplifier built in the codec.
It allows to get more powerful sound, like to drive full-size high-impedance headphones at desired volumes, but for most people using sensitive headphones (same for in-ear) the sound is improved because there's far less hiss by reducing the analog gain.
When you reduce the noise level, the sound is more clear and defined.

I have some more leads in development for this codec, like:
- better oversampling quality (128x oversampling, require also clock reconfiguration on the SoC)
- alternative digital filter to reduce the very high frequency intensity ( > 20kHz) in order to reduce the listening fatigue.

WM8903 doesn't support digital effects like parametric EQ or 3D effect so I won't be able to activate that, but there's still some headroom to improve the quality and neutrality of the response, audiophile-style

Here are measurements I made without any modification, on 3.1:
http://supercurio.project-voodoo.org/audio/eeepadtransformer/Asus EeePad Transformer Android 3_1.htm

Planned features

- Better SRS presets for the speakers
- Maybe some volume boost for speakers if possible with reasonable quality.
- If usable and providing sufficient quality: customizable EQ & 3D effect using SRS software engine for the Headphone out.

Last edited:

supercurio

May 31, 2010
Chambéry
spectrastudy.com
Screenshot of the first version, thanks jjsoviet :)

P20110620163105.png

Last edited:

supercurio

May 31, 2010
Chambéry
spectrastudy.com
SO its a better sound driver so to speak?

Yes its an additional driver built around the existing one in order to use the audio hardware in the optimal way.

Most manufacturer are happy enough when their device output sounds, but in many case the result can be improved, sometimes vastly.
And I must say.. its particularly interesting when the audio hardware is made by Wolfson, because you know the result can probably reach audiophile-quality levels!

mmtoman

Oct 5, 2010
Indianapolis
Will this also help the tf's speakers? I've beem ok wirh the headphones but not the speakers.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using XDA Premium App

supercurio

May 31, 2010
Chambéry
spectrastudy.com

danielsjam

Nov 26, 2010
Free version requires a custom kernel implementing Voodoo patches.
The first custom Kernel supporting Voodoo sound is this one, by Clemsyn! http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1109630

As stated in the description today the free App is semi broken (the manual volume slider crashes on Honeycomb, but the volume key mapping works)
I'm working on an update ATM.

Also say incompatible with the custom kernel installed.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

supercurio

May 31, 2010
Chambéry
spectrastudy.com
Also say incompatible with the custom kernel installed.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

Voodoo Control 1.0.7 finds the driver here: http://twitpic.com/5ei07e (only the volume key mapping works ATM)

If it's not detected it means your kernel actually running doesn't implement Voodoo Sound.
Note: Clemsyn published the kernel very recently!

Reactions: jozka.1

clemsyn

Sep 19, 2006
Just tried your apk and it's pretty impressive, sound is clearer and cripspier when I play dungeon defenders with my kids and it seems louder than the Gtab now. Didn't even think my transformer will sound like this :)

Reactions: supercurio

chatch15117

Jun 16, 2011
Free version requires a custom kernel implementing Voodoo patches.
The first custom Kernel supporting Voodoo sound is this one, by Clemsyn! http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1109630

As stated in the description today the free App is semi broken (the manual volume slider crashes on Honeycomb, but the volume key mapping works)
I'm working on an update ATM.

I understand, I'll wait for one that says compatible. I've got the kernel - in fact clemsyn is hosting it on my server :p

supercurio

May 31, 2010
Chambéry
spectrastudy.com
Just tried your apk and it's pretty impressive, sound is clearer and cripspier when I play dungeon defenders with my kids and it seems louder than the Gtab now. Didn't even think my transformer will sound like this :)

Thanks.
You're talking about the headphone output right?

Because the speaker output is not (yet) affected. I hate to contradict people hearing improvements but I must sometime by integrity ;)

carrera0to60

Aug 28, 2008
Just dl'd the free version from the market to run with Clemsyns kernel and it seems to be working nicely. Thank you very much for the hard work.

Couple of requests would be:
1. Mic gain control
2. The stock music player always pauses when the screen is off. When using headphones you can hear what sounds like the headphone feed being turned off...

GwynBleidd

Dec 3, 2008
Midgaard
Hey SC,

First, awesome job on getting this to Tf (bought the donate app awhile back for my Galaxy S, and now you're making me ha ppy with Tf).

Main feature request from my side would be mic sensitivity, this time the other way around :) was too sensitive on galaxys, needs pumping on tf. Also, if anything could be done to the internal mic quality on software level, would be awesome.

Thanks!

On a side note, I was sure i heard an improvement with speakers after installing control app, but that might be placebo effect.

supercurio

May 31, 2010
Chambéry
spectrastudy.com
Hey SC,

First, awesome job on getting this to Tf (bought the donate app awhile back for my Galaxy S, and now you're making me ha ppy with Tf).

Main feature request from my side would be mic sensitivity, this time the other way around :) was too sensitive on galaxys, needs pumping on tf. Also, if anything could be done to the internal mic quality on software level, would be awesome.

Thanks!

You're welcome!

Okay I'll take a look.
I'm already experimenting with Speakers ATM, messing with registers.

It seems its possible to boost a little bit the speaker output, but really only "a little bit": +2dB
I doubt anybody will notice, but it's still better than nothing.

Hey SC,
On a side note, I was sure i heard an improvement with speakers after installing control app, but that might be placebo effect.

Yup, placebo ;)

Reactions: Nitro_123

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi everyone!

Asus EeePad Transformer hosts a very nice audio codec by Wolfson that powers both the headphone and speaker output.
    Its the ultra low power WM8903, implementing a midrange DAC (Wolfson-scale) that outputs a clean and musical signal, and my favorite Class W headphone amp, that gives a clean controlled and accurate output, and is able to drive full-size 300 Ohms headphones without distortion.

The transformer audio power stage is not as powerful as other device I tune so at maximum volume but I'm sure you'll be surprised by the capability of this amp if you compare it to any other mobile non-Voodoo device.
    I might limit the maximum gain to +3dB to avoid saturation.

Voodoo sound is:

A control Android application

- Free version (semi broken on Honeycomb ATM, will fix soon): https://market.android.com/details?id=org.projectvoodoo.controlapp
    - Plus/Donate version: https://market.android.com/details?id=org.projectvoodoo.controlappdonate

Plus version gives the ability to get full Voodoo sound implementation without depending on a custom kernel. Root is required to load the additional driver.
    Free version requires a kernel implementing Voodoo sound GPL patches as you'll find plenty on XDA.

Features of the v1 :

I'll be very accurate and describe the exact change so far.
    As usual, you get what you see.
    What Voodoo sound driver v1 does on transformer is mapping volume to the headphone amplifier hardware control.

In the standard configuration, here is how it works: Most time only half or less of the Dynamic Range of the DAC is used (depending on the current output volume) by trimming the signal amplitude in a digital way.

What brings the driver v1 is a maximization of the digital volume, so the system works really on 16bit instead of 12 or even less at low volumes. And instead of that you control directly the analog gain of the Class W headphone amplifier built in the codec.
    It allows to get more powerful sound, like to drive full-size high-impedance headphones at desired volumes, but for most people using sensitive headphones (same for in-ear) the sound is improved because there's far less hiss by reducing the analog gain.
    When you reduce the noise level, the sound is more clear and defined.

I have some more leads in development for this codec, like:
    - better oversampling quality (128x oversampling, require also clock reconfiguration on the SoC)
    - alternative digital filter to reduce the very high frequency intensity ( > 20kHz) in order to reduce the listening fatigue.

WM8903 doesn't support digital effects like parametric EQ or 3D effect so I won't be able to activate that, but there's still some headroom to improve the quality and neutrality of the response, audiophile-style

Here are measurements I made without any modification, on 3.1:
    http://supercurio.project-voodoo.org/audio/eeepadtransformer/Asus EeePad Transformer Android 3_1.htm

Planned features

- Better SRS presets for the speakers
    - Maybe some volume boost for speakers if possible with reasonable quality.
    - If usable and providing sufficient quality: customizable EQ & 3D effect using SRS software engine for the Headphone out.
    Voodoo Sound 4.0-pre1

Hey hey hey !

It took time to ... well rewrite the whole Voodoo Sound app, libs and driver from scratch really but here is finally a first pre-version you can try for EeePad Transformer ICS.

voodoo-sound-4.0-pre1-transformer.png

As you will see, its very much unfinished but the base is already usable so there was no reason to keep you waiting any longer.
    So, don't be disapointed if something is not yet available or broken. I know.
    Only Plus users are able to use this pre-version.

Root is required as usual. Only official kernel has been tested. It will probably crash or not work on other configurations.

There's new features for Transformer Wolfson WM8903 codec: DAC 128x high performance oversampling and the Sloping Stopband setting, which is a better quality oversampling high frequency filter (stronger high frequency filter)

You're welcome to run measurements & analysis on the output. I plan to add measurement & graphs to each setting accessible from the app in order to show you the effect.

Download Voodoo Sound app 4.0-pre1 for EeePad Transformer ICS.
    Other than that, I make constant progress with the new driver writing.

And I hope so because I work something like 14-15h a day to shorten the delay until release ^^
    Any news about the progress of developement?
    Not requesting any eta or putting pressure!

Just curiosity!

Yes I'm writing a new UI ATM, better for tablets.
    First beta will have Headphone Amp control and DAC oversampling switch too.
    Ah, finally source code!
    Just downloaded it.

I'll switch back to the ICS port tomorrow. (11PM here)