External SD card and G PAD... try to clarify

Search This thread

meanoc

Feb 22, 2014
That is similair to what I thought as well until the problem started happening for me. I was pure stock 4.4.2 unrooted before I joined this quest to investigate the bad removals. The bad removals started occurring after the 4.4.2 upgrade. A factory reset after the upgrade, caused the problem to disappear for a short while. Then it came back. Pure original 4.2.2 did not suffer from bad removals when I first got the GPad, however I can not say that it wasn't happening silently in the background and I was unaware of it. Either some application I am using (that has been upgraded), or the upgrade to 4.4.2 has started the problem, or my card is now going bad, or worst case, there is a bad set of hardware out there and I have one of them...

I will be ordering a new card and probably reverting to stock 4.4.2 to see if that causes things to go away for me if my current tests continue to show problems.

Honestly I believe your wasting your money buying a new card. I've tried 4 different working correctly in other devices cards and they all bad dismount on the G Pad. I have been continuously monitoring mine and it makes no sense how I can go for days with no problems and then have over 100 dismounts in 12 hours.

I'm starting to really question how accurate SD card monitor is. On a few occasions I would check it at say 10:00 AM and have no problems then check it at 11:00 AM and it would show 20-30 dismounts before 10:00 AM.

After trying all the different roms I'm going to load 422 again and confirm that its a 442 issue. Its just so frustrating to see so many people not having the problem and others that cannot find or fix the problem :( LG has been zero help in my case.

Reactions: muiriddin

muiriddin

Feb 25, 2013
Mid-Atlantic
Honestly I believe your wasting your money buying a new card. I've tried 4 different working correctly in other devices cards and they all bad dismount on the G Pad. I have been continuously monitoring mine and it makes no sense how I can go for days with no problems and then have over 100 dismounts in 12 hours.

I'm starting to really question how accurate SD card monitor is. On a few occasions I would check it at say 10:00 AM and have no problems then check it at 11:00 AM and it would show 20-30 dismounts before 10:00 AM.

After trying all the different roms I'm going to load 422 again and confirm that its a 442 issue. Its just so frustrating to see so many people not having the problem and others that cannot find or fix the problem :( LG has been zero help in my case.

I have begun to question the SD Card monitoring app's accuracy as well. I did need another card anyway so I have ordered one. However having just done multiple backups and file moves and not had any problem, I'm definitely confused as to what could possibly trigger what we are seeing.

Reactions: meanoc

meanoc

Feb 22, 2014
So last night I did another round of experiments. I took an old 512 MB USB thumb drive and plugged it into my pc. I scanned the disk and it was clean. Added assorted bs files and proceeded to do bad dismounts. So out of 100 tries I got errors on 93 scans. Went back and formatted the disk and added bs files and proceeded to plug and unplug the drive repeatedly (about 20 times). Out of 100 sessions I got 100 bad scans.

My sd card at the time had over 1000! bad dismounts some of them within seconds of one another. Did a scan on the sd and ZERO errors. Copied all the data from the sd card, reformatted it and added assorted files. Popped the card in a reader and proceeded with the same testing as the USB thumb drive. Guess what almost the exact same results. On the single dismounts I got errors on 91 scans. On the multiple plug and unplug test I got 100 out of 100.

I know my testing method could stand improvement yet I think this proves that something isn't adding up. I'm thinking its the SD monitor program. I emailed the developer and will post the reply.

parsifal968

Mar 14, 2011

THIS is the question! you have installed a custom recovery on 442 (with the only metod: mixed base) and if you back to 422 with a simple restore backup then you have also problems.
The only solution is to go back to ORIGINAL stock 422 (if you want a custom recovery) with this metod:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2432476
erasing any trace of 442 and (if you don't have a bad microsd) all problems are gone.
PERSONAL EXPERIENCE!

If you want 442 from LG then probably work IF you don't install a custom recovery on a fresh kitkat installation with lg tool (not have time to try).

meanoc

Feb 22, 2014
THIS is the question! you have installed a custom recovery on 442 (with the only metod: mixed base) and if you back to 422 with a simple restore backup then you have also problems.
The only solution is to go back to ORIGINAL stock 422 (if you want a custom recovery) with this metod:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2432476
erasing any trace of 442 and (if you don't have a bad microsd) all problems are gone.
PERSONAL EXPERIENCE!

If you want 442 from LG then probably work IF you don't install a custom recovery on a fresh kitkat installation with lg tool (not have time to try).

I'm wiping the G Pad right now and going to install 422 completely stock. I hope that fixes this but I have doubts. Your theory still doesn't explain why some have the issue and others don't running the same setup. But like I said I'm going to try it and thanks for the reply.

meanoc

Feb 22, 2014
Well and now a drum roll.....422 loaded cleanly and just had my first bad dismount within 10 minutes of installing the monitor. So in my case it almost has to be a hardware issue or the monitoring program is faulty.

No big deal as I have a buyer on Craigslist and am going to preorder the new Nvidia tablet. I really liked this tablet aside from the sd issues but I already wasted enough time. The only thing that bothers me is I just bought 2 cases and a pack of screen protectors but I would rather loose the cash than be aggravated daily with dismounts.

Good luck everyone :good:

Reactions: whoamigriffiths

parsifal968

Mar 14, 2011
422 loaded cleanly? After wiping? Mah! How about exact procedure you done? Install a "clean" 422 after "wipe" ... i suspect you have done via TWRP or similar ... THIS NOT WORK!!! mine is not a teory but what i have done to solve.

Sent from my LG-P500 using XDA Free mobile app

meanoc

Feb 22, 2014
422 loaded cleanly? After wiping? Mah! How about exact procedure you done? Install a "clean" 422 after "wipe" ... i suspect you have done via TWRP or similar ... THIS NOT WORK!!! mine is not a teory but what i have done to solve.

Sent from my LG-P500 using XDA Free mobile app

I did a 100% clean install w/o root or recovery via the LG tool and THIS NOT WORK!!! So as I stated before in MY case this did absolutely nothing other than waste 90 minutes of time. You really should learn not to be so rude and assume something your not sure of :good:

parsifal968

Mar 14, 2011
I did a 100% clean install w/o root or recovery via the LG tool and THIS NOT WORK!!! So as I stated before in MY case this did absolutely nothing other than waste 90 minutes of time. You really should learn not to be so rude and assume something your not sure of :good:

i don't start a flame and don't launch a... drum roll!
i want to share a possible solution and not play my bongos.
if my engRish is bad and do some confusion... sorry.

my case:
1) fresh buyed gpad with sd working for many months
2) sd gived to others
3) gpad upped to kitkat and installed a twrp with the only method: mixed bases
4) new sd buyed... at first insertion start of a pletora of bad dismounts visible WITHOUT the (infamous?) app but simply via system warning
5) sd bad? NOT on others tablet and pc
6) many time wasted to search a possible solution tryed hundreds!!!
7) finally the solution described... and for about 2 weeks not a single bad dismount or random unmount. (the (infamous?) app work)

Sorry for my try to help others.

meanoc

Feb 22, 2014

my case:
2) sd gived to others
4) new sd buyed... at first insertion start of a pletora of bad dismounts visible WITHOUT the (infamous?) app but simply via system warning
7) finally the solution described... and for about 2 weeks not a single bad dismount or random unmount. (the (infamous?) app work)

I appreciate that you posted trying to help. Just in my case it wasn't the solution. Maybe it'll help someone else :good:

loffman

Jul 15, 2014
For some reason this worked for me. Haven't had any problems with the SDcard since...

This i what i did...

Rooted with Towelroot
Installed NextApp SDfix
Installed SDCard Booster

Reactions: veloso

meanoc

Feb 22, 2014
i am running stock, 4.4.2. I haven't made any changes to the G Pad. Only rooted so i could download to the sdcard.

I d/led the apps and hopefully I'll be able to report success at last. Thanks for the reply :)

Edit Damn got a bad dismount 7 minutes in :(

Last edited:

muiriddin

Feb 25, 2013
Mid-Atlantic

my case:
2) sd gived to others

I can confirm that I seemed to have less trouble with 4.2.2 than with 4.4.2. Both of these being completely stock, no recovery, nothing not from the factory installs (other than apps from the play store). However I still have an occasional problem. However in my case I can not yet completely discount that my problem may have been with a sd card beginning to go bad (hence the purchase of a new card). A factory reset of 4.4.2 seemed to cause things to be fine for a week or so, but then I started seeing bad removals again. Most often my bad removals seem to be associated with google play music caching on the sd card. Do you all have play music configured that way?

However, with the new card I now have, I have not had a single bad removal (yet)

It is now 3 days without a bad removal...

Last edited:

Kenif1983

Jan 16, 2011
I think it's possibly a physical thing.

I got a number of unmounts when i was driving this weekend.

Tonight i moved from my living room to my study at 8 and back to my living room at 10 - I had dismounts at both 8 and 10.

I have a cheap case i bought on Amazon. I might try without for a bit

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I was investigating the problem and I think I found the cause and the solution.

The cause:
    According to my findings the bad dismount while deep sleeping is caused by the C3* state (Power Collapse) which is the deepest sleep state.
    While in this state the sdcard check routine timeouts and a bad dismount occurs.

The solution (root required):
    When I had the Nexus4 I remember the C3 state was off by default and enabling it caused issues in some cases...
    So I tried to disable it on the GPad and this cured the bad dismount.

This may lead to a little higher battery drain while in standby.... the device deep sleeps just fine anyway.

Attached to this post you'll find the script (remove the .zip extension after the download) you need to place in system/etc/init.d (if your kernel supports init.d... stock one doesn't)... alternatively you may use Script Manager and execute the script with ROOT privileges.

I tested this on my GPad running Mahdi 2.9 ROM (KK) and mani.Kernel... It SHOULD work on any ROM/KERNEL combinations....

* Infos about C-States may be found here.

Merry Xmas!
    I was investigating the problem and I think I found the cause and the solution.

The cause:
    According to my findings the bad dismount while deep sleeping is caused by the C3* state (Power Collapse) which is the deepest sleep state.
    While in this state the sdcard check routine timeouts and a bad dismount occurs.

The solution (root required):
    When I had the Nexus4 I remember the C3 state was off by default and enabling it caused issues in some cases...
    So I tried to disable it on the GPad and this cured the bad dismount.

This may lead to a little higher battery drain while in standby.... the device deep sleeps just fine anyway.

Attached to this post you'll find the script (remove the .zip extension after the download) you need to place in system/etc/init.d (if your kernel supports init.d... stock one doesn't)... alternatively you may use Script Manager and execute the script with ROOT privileges.

I tested this on my GPad running Mahdi 2.9 ROM (KK) and mani.Kernel... It SHOULD work on any ROM/KERNEL combinations....

* Infos about C-States may be found here.

Merry Xmas!

Using what you said (and a helpful kernel tuning utility) I've done the following.

1. revert to stock 4.4.2
    2. root
    3. install sdcard monitor app
    4. using Faux123 Kernel Enhancement Pro disable c3 and set it to always disable this state on boot.

And now I'm waiting to see if stock will crap out again with this change. What you wrote above makes more sense than any of the other theories on this issue that I've read and I knew it was somehow related to sleep and/or power. I never thought to disable one of the sleep states. Thanks for pointing me in a new direction!

-- Added stuff here later --

Okay your script will error out on the stock kernel however you can simply comment out the lines that cause errors and then it does work. This does cause battery drain while the tablet is idle, however it does seem to stop the sdcard from having a bad removal. If you must run stock this would solve the issue, although you would still need to root and run the script after each boot (either manually or via some tool).

The modified script should simply comment out the lines for cpu1-cpu3 as shown below:

echo "$C3" > /sys/module/pm_8x60/modes/cpu0/power_collapse/idle_enabled
    #echo "$C3" > /sys/module/pm_8x60/modes/cpu1/power_collapse/idle_enabled
    #echo "$C3" > /sys/module/pm_8x60/modes/cpu2/power_collapse/idle_enabled
    #echo "$C3" > /sys/module/pm_8x60/modes/cpu3/power_collapse/idle_enabled

leave the rest of the script as is...

idle_enabled does not seem to exist for cpu1-cpu3 in that directory.
    Anytime you format a file system it is possible to accidentally format the wrong one, please be careful! Make a backup of your tablet first so you can recover from a mistake!

EXT4 External SD Card Procedure
    1. Backup the external sdcard files you want to keep to a computer
    2. Boot into recovery
    3. Choose wipe, then advanced wipe
    4. Place a check next to the external sdcard and then press the repair or change file system button. If you do not have this button you will need to upgrade to a newer recovery(TWRP 2.8.0.0) or format the sdcard on a Linux box instead.
    5. Select ext4 as the new format for the card and format it
    6. Once it completes reboot into android
    7. Open a terminal on the tablet and type:
    su
    chown media_rw:media_rw /mnt/media_rw/sdcard1
    chmod g+w /mnt/media_rw/sdcard1
    exit
    8. Apps that have permissions to write to the card now should be able to. I first tested the camera and the stock file manager... If you want other apps to write to the sdcard you will need to apply some sort of "KitKat sdcard fix" also...

Thanks very much for this guide! I only bought my gpad last week and received my 64gb sd card 2 days ago. I had a unsafe removal popup on the tab when I woke up this morning so started googling, found this thread and followed your guide to format sd card in ext4. The only thing I did differently was the 2 commands in the terminal. "sdcard1" returned a bad command so i tried "external_SD" instead and this seemed to work. So far so good. I can't see any issues using ext4 on sd card as of yet. Keep up the good work!

Cheers
    This update deserves own reply.
    Maybe I found solution for this. The key is to go back to 4.2.2 stock ROM. I used this method: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=52006651&postcount=4 and the only thing I did the other way was installing TWRP. You have to install ROM installer and install TWRP 2.6. THEN, through TWRP install update (attached, don't know where I got it from, if I find out, I will add link) and after that you can install 4.2.2 ROM. It's already rooted with TWRP 2.7. After that, you can install any ROM you want. I am back to slimrom and no SD card issues anymore :)
    i tried the sd card that i have at my phone (lg l5 e610 rooted) and the same happens!i think that is tablets "problem" reading the sd cards?
    at the internal memory of my tablet i can copy,delete etc any file or video etc...
    i did a format at my tablets sd card and make ntfs but it couldnt recognize the sd...i will try with fat to see what happens.
    i dodnt know what else to think to make it work!:(:(
    The sd card should be FAT32