[Q] I want to install a CM11 Nightly, but the flash always fails.

Search This thread

ecrab1

Apr 13, 2014
I have flashed ROMs a few times before on a couple different devices, but I have a couple questions.

1. When I try to flash a OnePlus One CM11 Nightly through TWRP, it always says "Failed". Is there some simple thing that I am forgetting to do?

2. Will it erase anything that is currently on my phone by flashing a nightly? (I don't care if I have to re-root, but I don't want it to erase anything)

Thanks!

Heisenberg

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 29, 2011
Knocking on your door
OnePlus 9 Pro
I have flashed ROMs a few times before on a couple different devices, but I have a couple questions.

1. When I try to flash a OnePlus One CM11 Nightly through TWRP, it always says "Failed". Is there some simple thing that I am forgetting to do?

2. Will it erase anything that is currently on my phone by flashing a nightly? (I don't care if I have to re-root, but I don't want it to erase anything)

Thanks!

It won't erase anything from your virtual sd card. Of course you should wipe system/data/cache/dalvik cache when installing a ROM. Did you check the md5 of the ROM zip after downloading it? What's the full filename of the ROM zip?

Transmitted via Bacon

Dzhedaj

Sep 17, 2008
It won't erase anything from your virtual sd card. Of course you should wipe system/data/cache/dalvik cache when installing a ROM. Did you check the md5 of the ROM zip after downloading it? What's the full filename of the ROM zip?

Transmitted via Bacon

Have you unlocked the bootloader?

Reactions: ecrab1

ecrab1

Apr 13, 2014
Okay, thanks. And what is the point of wiping the system/data if it is essentially the same ROM?

Sent from my A0001 using XDA Free mobile app

Heisenberg

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 29, 2011
Knocking on your door
OnePlus 9 Pro

inaudible101

Dec 24, 2010

Thanks!

If you don't wipe your device it will fail on installing the zip. I am using TWRP and it failed no matter what unless I wiped first. You do not have to wipe you "sdcard" but you will lose your apps. I tried doing a data restore through TWRP and no matter what it would just hang on boot after. I ended up doing a backup through titanium backup and then restored after and it brought pretty much everything over including game data.

There might be a way around this in CWM, but I can say with some confidence there is not using TWRP. It's kind of a bad idea not to do a wipe before flashing a different rom anyways.

Reactions: ecrab1

ecrab1

Apr 13, 2014
If you don't wipe your device it will fail on installing the zip. I am using TWRP and it failed no matter what unless I wiped first. You do not have to wipe you "sdcard" but you will lose your apps. I tried doing a data restore through TWRP and no matter what it would just hang on boot after. I ended up doing a backup through titanium backup and then restored after and it brought pretty much everything over including game data.

There might be a way around this in CWM, but I can say with some confidence there is not using TWRP. It's kind of a bad idea not to do a wipe before flashing a different rom anyways.

Well, I may try with Titanium later. Thank you!!

ecrab1

Apr 13, 2014
Code:
fastboot oem device-info

But wouldn't you be aware if you unlocked it?

Because it isn't the same ROM. CM11S and CM11 are similar but not identical.

Transmitted via Bacon

He may not know if he was successful in unlocking it.

And that makes sense about them being different. I just wish there was a way around it. They are more similar than the next OTA probably.
I wish I could just do a NANDROID backup and try it, but oh well.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Transmitted via Bacon

Have you unlocked the bootloader?

Thanks!