[INFO] miura! AMOLED blotches/lines ANSWER

Search This thread

demonwind

Dec 13, 2011
Probably because there's three other threads here about the same thing. But this one is quite informative.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    What?! You mean he provided pertinent info TWICE?! We need to have him banned!

Dude... He posted in forums about phones that have SAMOLED screens. He's doing us a favor and you are in here flaming like an oiled up pride participant. Just stfu and gtfo.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using XDA App
    Hey guys,

I have a Nokia N9 (which uses an SAMOLED display made by samsung), and there have been some users reporting blotches/lines on their screens when in a pitch black room. I found this forum whilst conducting some research, and signed up after finally discovering what the problem actually is

It seems to be with the technology Samsung is using. According to this website, what you are experiencing is called 'mura'.... lines/spots as a result of an uneven current distribution to the OLEDs.....

Unfortunately as i am a new member, i can't post a link to the website.... but essentially, this company offers a technology that makes sure the mura never appear..... If only Samsung used it!!!!

AMOLED displays have two main layers:
    An OLED (organic light-emitting diode) layer that emits light.

A backplane, made of TFT (thin-film transistor) circuits that provide current to the OLEDs, thereby controlling their brightness.

Polysilicon backplanes don’t provide uniform current because of manufacturing non-uniformities. Without IGNIS technology, the TFT circuits will provide different current to the OLEDs, which results in lines, spots, and cloudy areas known as “mura”.

IGNIS AdMo-p™ technology uses a patented TFT pixel circuit and driving scheme to compensate for the non-uniform backplane. So the TFT circuits always provide uniform current to the OLEDs, even though the TFTs themselves aren’t uniform. This means the AMOLED display will always show smooth, mura-free images.

Hopefully this gives everyone a bit of closure; I guess it's a case of finding a phone that has the mura to a lesser extent!
    I went to edit my post but then something went wrong, hence the duplicate post (which i was unaware of)

I have no interest in that company whatsoever, i just thought I'd share that information with you seeing as no one else had come across it
    I think you are absolutely right. I love samsung products. I never had issues with any of them(MP3, TV, and etc etc) until I had this phone.. I love this phone except for the annoying screen. I didnt pay $600 so that I can have a phone with this quality of screen.. I'm pretty darn sure by now, they are more than well aware of this issue and they need to immediately address it.

If it is a calibration issue in which it can be "helped" by software upgrade, they better work on it because how can other AT&T models or SPRINT models have a better screen when its the exact same hardware?

They really should have tested this phone thoroughly before its initial release... and very unprofessional from such a reputable company like samsung. What's more shocking is how each carrier and samsung is responding to this immediate problem. I swear if they dont address this and leave it as it is......... good bye samsung... not only will i never buy your product again but I will do my best to tarnish your reputation.
    Just wanted to chime in from the att side ...its an issue on our phones too.
    I have now had 5 that had it

Unless you are referring to the original sgs2.. which really is completely different
    Thank you for all of your help and research. That actually makes a lot of sense. Uneven current would certainly cause the blobs, but what about the lines? Is that a known effect of low current too or a bad manufacturing process?

This leads me to think why the at&T models do not have vertical lines? And how the current is regulated in the the at&t version vs ours?

The At&t versions at worst only have a few blobs as far as I have seen.

---------- Post added at 03:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:11 AM ----------

We need an electrical engineer.

If we increase the current by a hardware mod to the point where there is enough current where the led will all be provided sufficient juice, how badly will it effect the LEDs with less resistance, will they self regulate at some point or to some degree? Will they change color? Could it be that the same current values were used on the bigger screens (T989 / Skyrocket) as on the smaller ones like the AT&T model and thus the AT&T model had sufficient current available? What would current increase mean to life expectancy?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using XDA App