[PORT] Ubuntu 11.10 Native (Alpha 0.0.4)

Search This thread

silverword

Apr 8, 2012
Trouble with ubuntu updated to 12.04

Hello

I've tried to update ubuntu using the built in update manager like CalcProgrammer1 said, but in boot sequence, it freezes here are the messages :

init: Failed to create pty - disabling logging for job
bcsp_recv: Out-of-order packet arrived, got 1 expected 0

any ideas how can i fix this, thank you !

CalcProgrammer1

Oct 8, 2007
Kansas City
It shouldn't freeze at that, for me it does spam that message a lot but then it boots up. How long have you waited?

Also, I don't get the bcsp_recv message I don't think, this is a Bluetooth issue most likely, try disabling Bluetooth at boot (rename the /etc/init.d/bcattach_srv file).

In other news, I got the 3.0 kernel to display the X GUI but the touchscreen, keyboard, and mouse are all broken so it's not usable. Touchscreen confuses me most, as it is a user-side driver.

Reactions: HPTeePee

metal1f3

Dec 28, 2010
Arkansas
Can anyone please give me simple steps or video tutorial on how to install it please?!!!

Where are you at? Totally stock, or do you have moboot cm7/cm9 installed?

Edit: I'm thinking of writing a step by step "for dummies" tutorial if enough people are interested. I'm not a developer and only have about a years Linux experience, but I understand and follow directions exceptionally well. I feel like an in depth, step by step, easy to follow tutorial would be the only real way i could contribute, so I'd be glad to make one. Cheers and good luck!

Last edited:

Legion021

Apr 26, 2012
Update problem

It shouldn't freeze at that, for me it does spam that message a lot but then it boots up. How long have you waited?

Also, I don't get the bcsp_recv message I don't think, this is a Bluetooth issue most likely, try disabling Bluetooth at boot (rename the /etc/init.d/bcattach_srv file).

I'm also getting the same messages and it freezes. How do you disable Bluetooth?
Thx for the help.

nbhnohome

Aug 8, 2009
Seattle
Sorry guys, I haven't followed the thread from the beginning.

Can you guys please let me know if the Touch function is working now ?

Thank you

HPTeePee

Apr 28, 2012
Tried 12.04 release update

I had 11.10 up and running, but as it was a little buggy, decided to give 12.04 a try last night. Load went fine using update-manager, reboot after update not so fine; hangs after 20s. The first time through, I saw the same issues with BT as others had seen with 12.04 beta, so renamed the start-up script added for 11.10 (to bcattach_srv-save). I also commented out the ath6kl entry in /etc/modules in the event networking was also an issue; same result. I took a movie of the boot screen, and have transcribed below (but since it was a movie, some text too garbled to decode).

Comments start with #; generic numbers by ##.######, ?? means I could not read this text clearly enough.

[ ##.######] init: Failed to create pty – disabling logging for job

# above spam pty line interlaces within output from init scripts; I’ll just refer to this as “pty spam”.

* Starting bluetooth daemon [ok]
* Starting ???/DNS-SD daemon [ok]
* Starting network connection manager [ok]
* Starting load fallback graphics devices [ok]
* Starting Userspace bootsplash [ok]
* Stopping load fallback graphics devices [ok]
[##.######] msm_snd_dev_dec: Invalid session ID 0
[##.######] msm_reset_out: Resetting all devices
[##.######] Source device 0 is not TX device
[##.######] msm_dev_out: device freq = 45000
# characters garbled, but a little extra searching revealed this is likely the msm kernel bits
[##.######] platform pll_q6: failed ot locate q6.??t
# Above could be pil_q6
# pty spam repeats
speech-dispatcher disabled: edit……. [ok]
saned disabled: edit …… [ok]

# At this point screen blanks, and only pty spam prints twice.
[ 19.######] init: Failed to create pty – disabling logging for job
# and again 2 minutes later, also twice
[ 140.######] init: Failed to create pty – disabling logging for job
[600.070176] lcdc_lg_panel_power: l10 DISABLE
# I assume this just means the display has timed out, since the screen blanks and you see:
[ 2368.586645] lcdc_lg_panel_power: l10 ENABLE
--------------------end of output ------------------------
Hope this helps you all in understanding what is amiss; not really a developer in skills, but know my way around Linux. Let me know if additional information is required as I have a little bandwidth this weekend to work on the issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: silverword

CalcProgrammer1

Oct 8, 2007
Kansas City

I'm really confused as it is working fine on my TouchPad, it has the errors but gets past them.

The only thing different is my kernel, which should only be slightly different. I'll post my kernel and you can see if that solves the problem. Also the ath6kl modules will need to be reinstalled if you switch kernels, so I'll post my modules folder as well (you should delete your existing lib/modules/2.6.35-palm-tenderloin folder before installing new modules).

Modules: https://www.box.com/s/5f29cd8780f22e440d8c
Kernel: https://www.box.com/s/778bae3bec3de1432246

Kernel goes in /boot partition, modules extract to /lib/modules/ in Ubuntu partition. See if this fixes the problem.

Last edited:

ServError

May 29, 2007
In reply to the previous page, I'd be down for a step by step that starts from having a working Moboot/CM9/WebOS install. I've been wanting to jump on this and play with it for quite a while, but the overall lack of coordination between all the people playing with it and posting directions hasn't been very appealing.

Reactions: MikeCriggs

silverword

Apr 8, 2012
A tuto about compiling kernel

Hello CalcProgrammer1, i am sure you will help a lot if you could post a tuto about : how compiling your kernel 3.0 and informations about the tools you use to compile, compiler version, platform (PC, MAC, Touchpad), OS ...
I thank and congratulate you a lot about what you have already post...

CalcProgrammer1

Oct 8, 2007
Kansas City
In reply to the previous page, I'd be down for a step by step that starts from having a working Moboot/CM9/WebOS install.

It's really simple, you can follow the CM9 instructions and then follow the Ubuntu instructions after that, they do not interfere with each other. The only issue is the /boot partition, which is a 32MB-ish partition on the internal SD card that stores the OS kernels for booting. There is enough room for WebOS stock kernel, CM9 stock kernel, ClockWorkMod Recovery, and Ubuntu kernel all at once, but if you start adding modified WebOS or CM9 kernels you can overflow /boot (bad idea, don't do it). To see how much space is used in /boot, under WebOS type 'df' in a terminal (either XTerm or Novaterm works) and the first entry should be /boot, telling you the disk usage on that partition.

silverword said:
how compiling your kernel 3.0 and informations about the tools you use to compile, compiler version, platform (PC, MAC, Touchpad)

I'm using Ubuntu 12.04 in a VirtualBox on Win7 64-bit (though that doesn't make a difference, you can use any Linux with the right compilers installed). I'm using Ubuntu's default ARM compiler (arm-linux-gnueabi-gcc) though if you compile natively on the TouchPad itself the standard GCC is for ARM instead of x86. The kernel tree is from jcsullins' kernel-tenderloin-3.0 repository, staging2 branch. I'm still messing around with config options to make it work correctly, it isn't usable yet. The working kernel I posted last night was 2.6.35.

What works on 3.0 and what doesn't:
- Frame buffer console works
- LVM mount and booting Ubuntu works
- X server starts to Ubuntu 12.04 log-in page (using freedreno driver)
- Framebuffer colors are swapped (red and blue channels, but I have a fix for this)
- USB host does not work (so no keyboard/mouse)
- Touch screen does not work (due to I2C errors)
- USB client (Android gadget) works, so you can adb in for a shell
- Bluetooth untested
- WiFi does not work (though only because I haven't tried compiling modules, it should work fine once I do that)

I'm also concerned about audio, and looking for anyone who has any information about getting proper ALSA support on the msm-audio interface which doesn't get detected by ALSA mixer. From what I've read, Qualcomm's audio driver is not a complete implementation of ALSA, only the bits that Android requires.

Reactions: Che21
Jun 22, 2010
12.04 still not booting

Calcprogrammer - thanks for posting those. After installing and rebooting, it still doesn't work. After the font changes to the blockier, more system-like font, and the screen goes black, my touchpad spits out two more message, unlike yours which starts to load the gui. These two messages are

init: Failed to create pty - disabled logging for job
init: Failed to create pty - disabled logging for job

If I let it sit long enough, it will say it twice again.

CalcProgrammer1

Oct 8, 2007
Kansas City
The problem must be in the video driver then, as I'm using the Freedreno driver. I need to figure out what all is used by this driver and then I'll post it. However, when my driver was broken it just went to the fallback framebuffer driver as shown in BodenM's original video (blurry and with lines on the screen).

nello92

Jan 17, 2011
Corno di Rosazzo
www.androidpit.it
I can confirm that renaming the file in /etc/init.d/ does not help at all. It still hangs at
init: Failed to create pty - disable logging for job

Any other ideas?

i had the same issue updating my laptop...i solved doing a dpkg from the recovery...but in touchpad we don't have the ubuntu recovery...if it is a way to enter in it we can safely update to 12.04 i think

viny2cool

Oct 15, 2010
Jersey City, NJ
Where are you at? Totally stock, or do you have moboot cm7/cm9 installed?

Edit: I'm thinking of writing a step by step "for dummies" tutorial if enough people are interested. I'm not a developer and only have about a years Linux experience, but I understand and follow directions exceptionally well. I feel like an in depth, step by step, easy to follow tutorial would be the only real way i could contribute, so I'd be glad to make one. Cheers and good luck!

I would also like to have tuto for dummies...even tho i have enough knowledge about android..I am kinda dummy in linux...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    WARNING, DRAGONS AHEAD!
    IF YOU DIDN'T ALREADY KNOW, BY INSTALLING THIS, YOUR WARRANTY IS PROBABLY VOID! I won't be responsible if your TP bricks, needs doctoring, catches fire, skins adorable puppies and kittens, BBQs your "crown jewels", eats your children, starts WW3, explodes or commits seppuku!

Special thanks go to:
    • jcsullins - The guy who made all of this possible by creating moboot, and he created kernel patches that fix the weird-ass framebuffer glitches, and he made the userspace touchscreen driver. This guy is a f**king GENIUS!
    • jeanfrancis - pointed me towards better-initramfs, as well as showing me some code on pointing that initramfs to an LV.
    • crimsonredmk - showed me the Arch Linux documentation for the TP, and wrote the original instructions for getting Arch Linux on the TP, which I have taken and adapted.
    • The CyanogenMod Team - For creating CM7, and getting it working on the TouchPad.
    • perpe - made a working rootfs to get it booting while I was busy :)

Installation instructions: http://code.google.com/p/hp-touchpad-ubuntu/wiki/Installation

Apply to join the dev team! https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dGJYWDJJbUNKT0ZlanZSVVB4aElTZHc6MQ

CHANGELOG:
    Alpha 0.0.4:
    Code:
    - Kernel panic on boot issue should now be fixed
    - Location of sys files changed
    Alpha 0.0.3:
    Code:
    - Added userspace touchscreen driver
    - Hopefully fixed kernel panic on boot
    Alpha 0.0.2:
    Code:
    - Patched framebuffers to prevent color and mouse cursor glitches
    - Released kernel sources
    Alpha 0.0.1:
    Code:
    - Initial Release
    12.10 version 2 [NOW MORE USER-FRIENDLY!]

New version of Ubuntu 12.10
    Hello everyone. It's been a while since I released 12.10 (beta 1 at the time) for TP. It was quite large and somewhat buggy, with a few regressions from

I am proud to present you with a completely reworked, fully up-to-date new version of Ubuntu 12.10.

What works:
    - USB OTG
    - Touchscreen + Service (ts_srv_0, ts_srv_90)
    - GNOME 3 - fallback only
    - Sound (only through the speaker for now)
    - Wi-Fi (NetworkManager)
    - Bluetooth (tested, HID k/b visible from gnome3)

Useful features (now mostly in the right places):
    - Multi-Threaded Memory Compression (zram) and Swap (already present on all TouchPads)
    - Proper fstab mounts: sdcard, read-only boot and read-only webOS root
    - udev kernel patch, fixes the "failed to recieve ctrl connection: Function not implemented" error.
    - Many more kernel modules, examples: CIFS/SMB, NFS v3/v4, LED triggers, and more.
    - Tiny kernel and initramfs, both compresssed with LZMA instead of gzip (3.3MB down from 5.4MB)
    - Zenity powered GUI enabled brightness changer (Applications->System Tools->Set Brightness)
    - Zenity powered GUI enabled screen rotator (Applications->System Tools->Touchscreen Rotation)
    - PulseAudio bypassed and replaced with ALSA dmix/dsnoop for gstreamer (fixes crashing Rhythmbox/Totem)
    - Spiffy console font, t.fnt.gz (set at boot)
    - All legacy init scripts that are Touchpad related have been ported to Upstart.
    - No sudo password prompt. This is needed for the zenity scripts to function properly!
    - Command line battery information script: /usr/bin/battery
    - Brightness changer (setbrightness) will still work from cmdline, just use the brightness # as an argument
    - Freedreno (still no ExA)
    - Symbolic links from user directory to SDcard save wasted space for music, pictures, downloads and videos/movies
    - Far smaller than before (516 MB down from 836MB)

logins
    login: ubuntu
    password: ubuntu

login: root
    password: root

download links (You'll need all four!)
    Kernel [3.3 MiB]: http://www.mediafire.com/?4y2adpjdvrhl2lh
    Part 1 [200 MiB]: http://www.mediafire.com/?190elok4akdw482
    Part 2 [200 MiB]: http://www.mediafire.com/?hhiyp0w8jef5p5w
    Part 3: [104.62 MiB]: http://www.mediafire.com/?4u49m34xmftlx9h

install instructions
    (You'll need at least MoBoot to be installed already.)
    1. If you don't already have Ubuntu on your TP, run the "4GBPartition.sh" but not the other scripts. Either way, BACK UP.
    2. Install my new, modified kernel in /boot. (The modules and Freedreno driver are already included in the tgz.)
    3. Download the TouchPadBuntuRootfs1210v2.tar.gz.1, 2 and 3 files from MediaFire to the root of the SD card/internal storage of the TP.
    4. Run the following commands in novaterm:

Code:
    mount -o remount,rw /boot
    cd /media/internal
    cp uImage.Ubuntu /boot
    cat TouchPadBuntuRootfs1210v2.tar.gz.* > TouchPadBuntuRootfs1210v2.tar.gz
    mkdir -p ubuntu-root
    mkfs.ext3 /dev/store/ubuntu-root
    mount /dev/store/ubuntu-root ubuntu-root
    cd ubuntu-root
    tar -xvpzf ../TouchPadBuntuRootfs1210v2.tar.gz
    cd ..
    umount /dev/store/ubuntu-root
    sync
    mount -o remount,ro /boot
    reboot
    5. Select Ubuntu in the moboot menu to boot Ubuntu 12.10 final!!
    After a 3/4-month hiatus (who's counting anyway?), I have returned to XDA :D
    I'm reading through to thread ATM to get up to speed on the excellent work Calc has been doing on the project (thanks for picking up the slack when I disappeared :cool:), but after my exams are finished and the term is over (2-3 wks), I'll be hopping back into development.
    Thread Cleaned of useless arguments and off topic replies. Stay on topic.
    And that statement makes me look forward to this port even more. Ya need to post a donate link, mate. I'll be looking for it.

Sent from my HTC Vision using xda premium

I'm not accepting donations until I can show working code, which should be in about 1 week.