[APP] ICS/JB AOSP Email Client for Motorola RAZR HD.

Search This thread

rickt1152

Dec 6, 2010
I assume we could just use root explorer to do this as well right?

I simply took the new JB email apk and pasted it into the system/app folder with Root Explorer after renaming the motemail.apk file. Worked like a charm. I don't use exchange email so I didn't worry about that part.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

znender

Feb 2, 2011
Is there any aesthetic differences between this email client vs the stock application?
Anyone have a screenshot of the AOSP one?

Thanks.

BJNK

Jul 15, 2007
Funny.. I just switched to a GS3 for various reasons and was thinking I wish I could get back the Motorola Email app simply because of what I thought to be an excellent layout. Great threading, and the ability to swipe away emails is a god send if you are getting 100 emails a day.

So with that being said. Any chance you saved the original Motorola APK's and I could try and put them on my GS3?

And for the person above asking about what is different. Aesthetically not too much, just a slightly different color scheme as far as I remember. But loses all the swiping abilities.

jmill75

Dec 25, 2009
Ohio
+1 I would also like to have the APK...thanks in advance

Funny.. I just switched to a GS3 for various reasons and was thinking I wish I could get back the Motorola Email app simply because of what I thought to be an excellent layout. Great threading, and the ability to swipe away emails is a god send if you are getting 100 emails a day.

So with that being said. Any chance you saved the original Motorola APK's and I could try and put them on my GS3?

And for the person above asking about what is different. Aesthetically not too much, just a slightly different color scheme as far as I remember. But loses all the swiping abilities.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So while I am quite satisfied with the factory firmware on the XT925/926 as-is, the email client is rather clunky and I prefer the AOSP version. Good news guys, the factory firmware can use the AOSP Email.apk!

Credit goes to kabadisha for the original, easy to follow instructions.

Before You Start...
    • [RECOMMENDED] Titanium Backup for backing up and removing the stock Motorola Email client. If you want to save these files, do this before proceeding to the instructions below. The APK files you need to backup/remove are MotoEmail.apk and MotoEmailConfig.apk.

Instruction for ADB Users
    • Connect the phone to the computer.
    • Download the corresponding Email.apk and Exchange.apk in the attachment section at the end of this post. Get the ones with the prefix 'ICS_' if you are on 4.04 Ice Cream Sandwich firmware, OR 'JB_' if you are on the 4.1.2 Jellybean firmware. DO NOT mix them or use the wrong ones, as they may not work correctly. Rename them to Email.apk and Exchange.apk respectively and place them in the root directory of your phone's internal SD card.
    • Go to the directory where you put your ADB executable. Hold SHIFT key, right-click anywhere in the window in this directory and select 'Open Command Prompt Here'.
    • Type the following in the command prompt and press Enter:
    Code:
    adb shell
    • If the Motorola driver is installed correctly and the phone is plugged to the PC, it should change the prompt to 'shell@vanquish'. Type the following and press Enter, and the prompt should change to 'root@vanquish':
    Code:
    su
    • Now you're ready to actually do the work of getting the AOSP Email client on the phone. First, we need to set the /system partition to allow us to read/write to that directory, and remount it to make sure the permissions are updated. Type the following and press Enter:
    Code:
    mount -o rw,remount /system
    • ...Let's change the current active directory to where all of the phone's installed apps are kept. Type the following in the command prompt and press Enter:
    Code:
    cd /system/app
    • Type the following in the command prompt and press Enter to copy the Email.apk that you downloaded earlier into this directory:
    Code:
    cp /sdcard/Email.apk /system/app/Email.apk
    • Type the following in the command prompt and press Enter to copy the Exchange.apk that you downloaded earlier into this directory:
    Code:
    cp /sdcard/Exchange.apk /system/app/Exchange.apk
    • Almost there! The last thing we need to do is change the permissions of these copied files so the OS can handle them properly. Type the following and press enter:
    Code:
    chmod 744 Email.apk
    Code:
    chmod 744 Exchange.apk
    • *Thanks to vrus1 for pointing this out*
    Code:
    Go to Settings > Manage App > Email and select 'Clear Data'.
    • Reboot the phone. Do this the ol' fashion way by directly interfacing with the device or enter the following in the prompt:
    Code:
    exit
    Code:
    exit
    Code:
    adb reboot
    Instruction for Terminal Emulator Users
    • Connect the phone to the computer.
    • Download the corresponding Email.apk and Exchange.apk in the attachment section at the end of this post. Get the ones with the prefix 'ICS_' if you are on 4.04 Ice Cream Sandwich firmware, OR 'JB_' if you are on the 4.1.2 Jellybean firmware. DO NOT mix them or use the wrong ones, as they may not work correctly. Rename them to Email.apk and Exchange.apk respectively and place them in the root directory of your phone's internal SD card.
    • Open the Terminal Emulator app. Type the following in the command prompt and press Enter:
    Code:
    su
    • Now you're ready to actually do the work of getting the AOSP Email client on the phone. First, we need to set the /system partition to allow us to read/write to that directory, and remount it to make sure the permissions are updated. Type the following and press Enter:
    Code:
    mount -o rw,remount /system
    • ...Let's change the current active directory to where all of the phone's installed apps are kept. Type the following in the command prompt and press Enter:
    Code:
    cd /system/app
    • Type the following in the command prompt and press Enter to copy the Email.apk that you downloaded earlier into this directory:
    Code:
    cp /sdcard/Email.apk /system/app/Email.apk
    • Type the following in the command prompt and press Enter to copy the Exchange.apk that you downloaded earlier into this directory:
    Code:
    cp /sdcard/Exchange.apk /system/app/Exchange.apk
    • Almost there! The last thing we need to do is change the permissions of these copied files so the OS can handle them properly. Type the following and press enter:
    Code:
    chmod 744 Email.apk
    Code:
    chmod 744 Exchange.apk
    • *Thanks to vrus1 for pointing this out*
    Code:
    Go to Settings > Manage App > Email and select 'Clear Data'.
    • Reboot the phone.

Once the phone has been rebooted, you should now have the AOSP Email Client in the application menu. Set it up as normal and you should be ready to roll. So far I have not run into any sync issues or anything out of the ordinary. If you are experiencing otherwise, please let us know!

Closing Notes
    • If you encounter any issues following these steps, please let me know so I can correct it.
    • Other Motorola ICS/JB device users: This should work for your devices as well as the firmwares between our devices are nearly identical.
    • Using the AOSP Email client will now allow you to use the Exchange Security Policy Bypass script that is not compatible with the Motorola client. Please be aware that by doing this, you may be violating your company's security policies which may place you under severe disciplinary actions or job termination at your company's discretion. Others that have provided the tools and instructions to perform this, including myself, cannot be held responsible if the worse case scenario occurs. You have been warned.