Garminfone

Search This thread

Tim2246

Oct 3, 2006
I have my new garmin asus its called the Garminfone and it is through tmobile I love it. Now how to get root? I want to be able to do wifi tether as the speeds achieved through mine usb tethered is awesome. Anyone considering trying to get root on this just released doll?

Tim2246

Oct 3, 2006
Rooting

No its not rooted.
Thats the problem ive rooted many g1's but i cant even figure how to get this into the recovery screen. Tried hold power and camera button. tried volume down and power button nothing. Help .
I want to root this phone so bad.
**** i dont even know how to do a dump.
I do have a terminal program which lets me see the files system on the phone by typing ls at the command prompt is pretty much all i know.. Soo all the help i can get would be great.

FitDynamite

Jul 25, 2010
New font

Yeah I just recently got the phone, and was very, very disappointed that Android won't let me install new fonts (for other language) without "root"ing the fone.

I know Android 2.2 comes out with more support on Asian languages, but it doesn't seem Garmin would update their phone soon.

Therefore I am looking for a way to root the phone too.

obsidian - looks like you are one step closer. Hope you can get it soon.

klon000

Jan 19, 2010
This post shall serve as the first and only warning regarding the Garmin application and maps. Anybody who shares them or asks for them to be shared will be banned.

There are tons of closed topics about sharing garmin navi or dump - the "garmin people" can effectively scare moderators, so not a single work on extracting the app can be discussed, but where are the "garmin people" when it's about answering e-mails or quotes on their official forums? Why they don't want to answer if the garmin app will be available for android phones and when?
Maybe mods should ignore their requests untill they answer our questions - we do not want any warez, we just want a quality, working offline navigation app!

//Sorry for off topic, every other topic I tried was already closed//

NotATreoFan

Moderator Emeritus
There are tons of closed topics about sharing garmin navi or dump - the "garmin people" can effectively scare moderators, so not a single work on extracting the app can be discussed, but where are the "garmin people" when it's about answering e-mails or quotes on their official forums? Why they don't want to answer if the garmin app will be available for android phones and when?
Maybe mods should ignore their requests untill they answer our questions - we do not want any warez, we just want a quality, working offline navigation app!

//Sorry for off topic, every other topic I tried was already closed//

To my knowledge, we have not received complaints from Garmin about this thread. However, saying that Garmin will not answer your questions on their official forum does not permit the discussion of how to rip the maps out of their product here.

Spazmogen

Aug 23, 2010
I am new to the forum and hacking Android.

I am not interested in ripping Garmin Maps out of my phone.

I have a T-Mobile Garminfone here in Canada.

Here's the question: the Nuvifone A50 (Garminfone in USA) has different specs than then USA release. Namely the HSDPA frequencies.

hxxps://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=52024#specsTab

that's the Europe A50: "Networks: HSDPA Cat 8 7.2Mbps, HSPA / WCDMA 850 / 900 / 1700 / 1900 / 21001, GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900, GPRS EDGE Class 12"

From T-Mobile USA: Networks: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900, GPRS EDGE Class 12, UMTS HSPA 2100/1700, HSDPA Cat 8, 7.2 Mbps.

Looks to me as though the European A50 supports HSDPA 850/900/1900 where the T-mobile USA one does not.

So, will rooting permit the T-Mobile phone to use the full spectrum of frequencies as the A50 does in Europe?

I tried to post links, but as a new user the system prohibits it to avoid spam.

It's got a Qualcomm MSM7227 CPU.

I suspect ASUS has locked these frequencies down via firmware somehow rather than build 2 differnt versions of the same phone.

Last edited:

Spazmogen

Aug 23, 2010
OK. I've been able to root the Garminfone. At least according to Universal Androot 1.6. But Titanium Backup says its NOT rooted as I have to transfer SuperUser files from SD card to phone.

How do I make a dump of the ROM?

I tried to link to a picture as proof, but that is still locked down as I am a new user.

I guess the last few lines of the log file should suffice:

getprop ro.product.model
Garminfone
getprop ro.product.brand
garmin-asus
getprop ro.product.name
a50
getprop ro.product.manufacturer
garmin-asus
getprop ro.build.product
a50
Install rootkit: true
Exploit delete success

Last edited:

Tim2246

Oct 3, 2006
Admins youd know what garmin was talking about i hope.

I did talk to a garmin guy who stated too me that there are only 2 people he knows of that trully got root on these phones. He couldnt tell me anything more but told me if i was familiar with adb too keep it simple and it can be done. he couldnt elaborate and further. I tried so hard to see if those 2 that did it, were on the web some where all he said was xda and keep searching its in general not a nuvi forum. Grrr so anyone have any other ideas?

Tim2246

Oct 3, 2006
1: ok step one download universal and root to sd card.
2: then download a file manager such as linda file manager.
3: download chainsdd SuperUser
4: go to settings then applications put a check next to unknown sources.Then go to Development and check usb debugging and stay awake.
5: use linda file manager and browse to sd card and install universal root "DO NOT INSTALL SUPERUSERBUILT INTO IT"
6: Install chainsdd Superuser, After install open it goto settings then scroll too bottom and click su binary it may fail the first time but click it again it will say Su binaries updated.
7: I am using root explorer i bought it from market.
8: after this is installed open it and be sure to click the rw option when you open it at top of directory. Now copy /system/xbin/su to your sd card for safe keeping along with rootshell file from sqlite_stmt_journals folder.
after you back them up too sd then copy Su file too /bin let it over write theres.
Now fire off adb and type adb shell then at the $ type su and walla full root.

Anyone have ideas on how to make it read only so system cant delete those files on reboot or automated way of putting the files in right place at reboot let me know.

hajotus

Jul 24, 2009
Where i could find Windows 7 drivers for Garminfone?
So i can use fone as a modem with USB cable.

Spazmogen

Aug 23, 2010
As Tim has pointed out: Rooting has been achieved. But SuperUser gets reset at each reboot of the phone. The /bin folder is created new at each boot. So we have to manually copy/paste the SU file into /bin after each start up of the phone. It's only 1 small step, and a minor annoyance.

I have been able to remove: Offers, Facebook, Amazon mp3, T-Mobile Hotspots, Movie Times and Visual Voice Mail. I still have a few to remove, but the phone is easier to scroll through now that most of the clutter is gone.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Garminfone now moving apps to sd!

Rooted with z4root and moving apps with latest update to Link2SD. Works flawlessly. Need to create ext2 on sd card first. You can use Mini Tool Partition Wizard or Ubuntu. You can find more info on how to do this on xda threads.