[APP] Control Panel Settings to Links (.lnk)

Search This thread

dubidu

Apr 19, 2006
UK
Hi guys,

I know it's a 10 seconds job to create a link for items inside the control panel (settings) such as "Usb to PC" or "Power" but I'm too lazy to do it every time I try a new rom,
also I found some of the values change from rom to rom, so I create a really simple app that goes through the registry key which holds the settings items (KLM\Security\Shell\StartInfo\Start) and creates a .lnk file for each of these entries.
Having a direct link allows me to add that option as a quick link which is handy 8)

Anyway, here is the tool in case someone wants it.

The exe must be installed in "\Program Files\CplLinks" (Device). It only takes 11.5 kb. The only reason the .exe is needed after the lnk are created is to provide an icon.
When you run it, it reads the HKEY mention above and creates .lnk for each item in the "Settings" menu. The lnks are created in "\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\CplLinks" so are directly accessible through the Programs menu.

There are no messages, it runs and creates the links, no interaction whatsoever so do not expect any nice popup window 8)

Next version will use specific icons for each item, right now, all the links use the same icon from the cpllink.exe executable.
The icons for most of the Settings are .png files rather than .ico, and WM doesn't have an easy way to convert from .png into .ico, the idea for a "future version" is to collect all the .png files,converted to icons and create a dll on the fly with the icons as resources, so they can be referenced from the .lnk files

Couple of screen shots from the emulator.

Attachments

• Captures01.gif
    Captures01.gif
    31.5 KB · Views: 925
  • Captures02.gif
    Captures02.gif
    32.3 KB · Views: 903
  • Captures03.gif
    Captures03.gif
    34.8 KB · Views: 899
  • CplLinks.CAB
    13.4 KB · Views: 1,068
Reactions: Senax

Senax

Aug 27, 2009
Arnhem
Great application! It works like a charm! Thank you for this convenient time saver :)

EDiT (another time saver)
After applying a Hard Reset WE have to reinstall all programs :( if you have previously installed them in the memory card. Often it is sufficient to recreate the shortcut in the start menu. ShortCutCreator helps you to recover the exe files and to recreate the desired shortcut.

Last edited:

dubidu

Apr 19, 2006
UK
I guess would be better if I manage to provide a different icon for each link, but Icon support is quite limited inside VM. Need to work in the PNG to Icon -> .dll routine 8)
I though having the app in internal memory was a better solution than in \Storage Card, so it will take less time to load the icon from the program, but I can change it and allow that option, so the icons in the links are pointing to \Storage.. rather than \Programs..

Anyway, it just a time-saver thingy 8)

mccune

Nov 21, 2005
www.mccune.nl
Nice app. It does not seem to work on WM6.1 though.

It does create a new folder structure: CplLinks\System inside the Start Menu.

dubidu

Apr 19, 2006
UK
Yep, I saw it only works on WM6.5, on WM6.1 there are no "StartInfo\Start" in the "KLM\Security\Shell\". Not sure where it keeps that info, maybe somewhere else in the registry.

I finally managed to convert PNG to ICO, so I think next version would allow you to choose which items you want to create links for rather than just dump everything 8)

RoryB

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 4, 2008
Lexington
Yep, I saw it only works on WM6.5, on WM6.1 there are no "StartInfo\Start" in the "KLM\Security\Shell\". Not sure where it keeps that info, maybe somewhere else in the registry.

I finally managed to convert PNG to ICO, so I think next version would allow you to choose which items you want to create links for rather than just dump everything 8)
WM6.1 control panel is "HKLM\ControlPanel" if I remember correctly. There will be numbers for the mycpl stuff and words for some other control panel items like backlight, etc.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi guys,

I know it's a 10 seconds job to create a link for items inside the control panel (settings) such as "Usb to PC" or "Power" but I'm too lazy to do it every time I try a new rom,
    also I found some of the values change from rom to rom, so I create a really simple app that goes through the registry key which holds the settings items (KLM\Security\Shell\StartInfo\Start) and creates a .lnk file for each of these entries.
    Having a direct link allows me to add that option as a quick link which is handy 8)

Anyway, here is the tool in case someone wants it.

The exe must be installed in "\Program Files\CplLinks" (Device). It only takes 11.5 kb. The only reason the .exe is needed after the lnk are created is to provide an icon.
    When you run it, it reads the HKEY mention above and creates .lnk for each item in the "Settings" menu. The lnks are created in "\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\CplLinks" so are directly accessible through the Programs menu.

There are no messages, it runs and creates the links, no interaction whatsoever so do not expect any nice popup window 8)

Next version will use specific icons for each item, right now, all the links use the same icon from the cpllink.exe executable.
    The icons for most of the Settings are .png files rather than .ico, and WM doesn't have an easy way to convert from .png into .ico, the idea for a "future version" is to collect all the .png files,converted to icons and create a dll on the fly with the icons as resources, so they can be referenced from the .lnk files

Couple of screen shots from the emulator.