Download latest flashtool here:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=10738467

Extract the Dualtouch.rar from here:
http://www.multiupload.com/K97IO1FTAR
Mirror:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17170888/Dualtouch.rar

FTF-File for Flashtool Version 0.2.4 or higher:
http://www-stud.uni-due.de/~sfanmakr/X10Flash/X10_1.0_Bin4ry_Dualtouch.ftf
Copy this File into the firmwares folder directly!

and copy the "Dualtouch" Folder inside the Firmwares Folder of Flashtool.
After that just flash and reboot =)
If the Rom is capable of Dual-/Multitouch you will have it now.

Regards
Bin4ry

NOTE:
This will just ADD dualtouch feature to your ROM. It will not wipe userdata or something else, see it as an addon =)

If you having problems in stock Rom with Multitouch follow this guide: (thanks My_Immortal)
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=921302

-----------------------------------------

Many of you may remember the huge debate about multi-touch that started just before the X10 was released and was still raging in the xda forums until this week. I certainly do and have followed the debate avidly. The first official line from Sony Ericsson was that multi-touch was considered for future X10 updates, that was quickly squashed with the confirmation that the X10′s hardware does not support multi-touch and so will never have the functionality.

Well, the latest u-turn comes again from the Sony Ericsson Product Blog and comes with an accompanying video of multi-touch pinch zooming in action. “We’ve videos of this before” you might say, but other videos have been doubted and the sources proven to be unreliable, this is straight from the horse’s mouth with proof on the developer’s own handset.

As an X10 user and lover.. erm.. you know what I mean. I’m genuinely excited by this news. It will fill the only real hole in the X10′s arsenal, albeit later than it should have been, just like the android 2.1 update. Should Sony Ericsson’s lead handset of this year have been released with 2.1 and multi-touch the sales for this handset would have been through the roof, instead they’ve dealt with slightly better than expected.

See the demo for yourself.

Xperia X10 Officially To Get Multi-Touch

Work Ongoing on Pinch Zoom for Xperia X10

Even though the focus of this blog at this point is mostly on the Android 2.1 update of the X10 family I have something else I would like to share with you.
There has also been lots of rumors around this and I just want to clarify what we’re working on and what to expect.
(I will continue posting information on the current SW-update roll-out after this!)

As many of you know, just before the release of the Xperia X10 we saw lots of discussions around any potential support for multi touch.
Myself and Sumit were then very clear on the fact that there were no plans of having X10 supporting multi touch and said so here on this blog mainly to not have you guys hoping for things that just wasn’t planned.

Since then, because of the huge reaction to this and the real desire for multi touch expressed by you the users, there has been lots of investigations going on and I now have some good news to disclose. We aim to enable multi touch (pinch zoom) in an over-the-air update for the X10. The timing for this update is still a bit work in progress but it will for most markets be during Q1 next year.

What has happened is that some brilliant engineers actually was able to change the driver and firmware for the touch digitizer to make some multi touch gestures work. We are still working on perfecting the user experience and I will keep you updated as work progresses.

I also want to be clear on what to expect from this feature. The digitizer in the X10 is not perfect when it comes to multi touch, there will as an example be situations like when the movement of the two fingers cross each other on the X- or Y-axis that could cause strange behavior. (There has been much online debating around what is “good” and “bad” Multi Touch in competitor phones and this is following the same lines.)

Therefore we also will not enable it everywhere but the current plan is to enable it for the following use-cases:
- Pinch/Zoom in the web browser.
- Pinch/Zoom in Google Maps.

Besides that there is also support in third party applications but because of the limitations on e.g. crossing axis there might be situations where it behaves strangely while it will work just fine for most use-cases.
The support is basically for gestures like pinch/zoom so don’t expect e.g. multi touch gaming with buttons pressed simultaneously on different parts of the screen to work.
Let me know if you have specific multi touch enabled apps you want me to test!

Below is a video where I show some of the use-cases and what to expect on a prototype SW in my X10.

* Will it have multi-touch in future updates?
Xperia X10 has a capacitive screen. It does not support multi-touch functionality at launch, but is considered for the future.
- blogs.sonyericsson.com
Seeing as threads even hinting at multi-touch on the Xperia X10 are getting closed I thought I'd start this thread to list some of them to keep the discussion in one thread, which hopefully will remain open so that those who wish to discuss it can. The first one gives hope, but time will tell.

Samsung i5700 hacked for multitouch, what does that mean for the X10?

Multitouch HATER!

Possiblity of MultiTouch in X10-Unofficially !

Xperia x10 Multi-touch and updates after 2.1

X10 has multi-touch - proved

X10 can do multitouch after all, applause!!!!

X10 DOES have Multitouch

Is x10 is supporting multi-touch

multi touch( come and discuss)

dual touch - test - do it yourself
-----

Im not sure if it helps, but here are some images of the X10 Digitizer and screen :) Cracked open my broken X10 :p

j47pmp94870yq4x52uu_thumb.jpg

rc577p6nz0rigcbg3s_thumb.jpg

8ffhy5tsui7p6xkteut_thumb.jpg

qn64xwq8xnriipxxemtn_thumb.jpg

-----

I have found some information about the Microcontroller CY8C in pic number 3...

The manufacturer is Cypress Semiconductor

-----

Things get interesting from page 29 onwards.

Last edited:

Nimche

Dec 5, 2008
San Diego, CA
What a great idea, specially if you commit yourself to update the first post and title with every news (if we hear any). Good way of organizing. I think it should be pinned and any new thread should be deleted and poster should be banned or warrning may do it.

Cheers,

killerskincanoe

Mar 4, 2009
Sony Xperia Ion
Oppo Find 5
i'm surprised after word of the samsung getting multi-touch even though they said it shouldn't that no one brought up how devs were able to get RESISTIVE screens to do multi touch via software mods i mean.. nothing is impossible :D

mmsbludhound

Aug 16, 2010
Since this thread is started, I would like to bring up some phenomenon which might or might not shed some light on the presence of multitouch in the x10 hardware.

A few days ago I was drawing on a tool called Drawer, and I did a small experiment. While drawing a line, I placed another finger on another spot on the canvas. In the duration which my other finger was placed on the canvas, there was a break in the original line I was trying to draw. Here's my theory on what's going on behind the scene:

When I placed my second finger on the touchscreen, the device actually detected it and stopped input altogether. Yes, my second touch WAS detected. This is in contrast to a single-touch capacitive synaptic touchpad, which approximates the input instead.

To relate to the SNESoid/Gameboid "multitouch vibration" phenomenon, the vibration isn't actually directly caused by multitouch. It is caused by the break in the input when the 2nd touch is detected, followed by the reregistration of the input after the 2nd touch is lifted.

If someone has a device with a true single-touch capacitive screen, it might be possible to test is true single-touch devices behave the same way.

fuzzl

Apr 22, 2009
The screen of my old x1i is dualtouch/multitouch......

Sent from my X10i using XDA App

go3asy

May 20, 2010
Falkirk, Scotland
bitsnacker.com
Since this thread is started, I would like to bring up some phenomenon which might or might not shed some light on the presence of multitouch in the x10 hardware.

A few days ago I was drawing on a tool called Drawer, and I did a small experiment. While drawing a line, I placed another finger on another spot on the canvas. In the duration which my other finger was placed on the canvas, there was a break in the original line I was trying to draw. Here's my theory on what's going on behind the scene:

When I placed my second finger on the touchscreen, the device actually detected it and stopped input altogether. Yes, my second touch WAS detected. This is in contrast to a single-touch capacitive synaptic touchpad, which approximates the input instead.

To relate to the SNESoid/Gameboid "multitouch vibration" phenomenon, the vibration isn't actually directly caused by multitouch. It is caused by the break in the input when the 2nd touch is detected, followed by the reregistration of the input after the 2nd touch is lifted.

If someone has a device with a true single-touch capacitive screen, it might be possible to test is true single-touch devices behave the same way.

Its going to be impossible to test properly until 2.1 because the OS doesn't support it either at the moment. So any glitches are just glitches. If someone could find out the screen manufacturer then it would be easier to find out. Personally I think SE has made tomany slip ups with MT announcements and mistake on the US site for it to be an incomparable screen. Sure there is a way to have it going if someone who knows a bit about these things took a little time to check it out

SXUsr

Jul 11, 2010
Here =)
Good way of organizing. I think it should be pinned
I agree and was the reason for starting this thread. The reason given for the last thread closed was that it could have been posted on one of the other MT threads, but yet the one before it was also closed so thought if I grouped a few threads together, named it appropriately, then it can be pinned and any and all discussion can be done in here.

I know there are more threads so will add them as I find them.

Reactions: booro123

iead1

Apr 30, 2010
i'm surprised after word of the samsung getting multi-touch even though they said it shouldn't that no one brought up how devs were able to get RESISTIVE screens to do multi touch via software mods i mean.. nothing is impossible :D

Isn't that because of the way resistive screens work though? IE, when two inputs are on the screen at once, the input ends up in the middle... and by using that data, they can fake multitouch.

im_iceman

Apr 7, 2010
Alsager
iHim got flamed yesterday for raising an observation that he'd made.. I'll restate it here with the intention of helping to make his point.. (it's the Multitouch hater thread shown above)..

on the standard SE keyboard - If you press the shift key, and then press any where else on the keyboard, it registers the second touch of the screen. Demonstrated through the change of capitalisation on the keyboard.. Seem to be the same behaviour described earlier in the thread around the drawing app..

What it's clearly not doing in registering 2 touches at the same time - but like someone else suggested this could be an OS limitation. Perhaps we'll see evidence when we get 2.1.

?

iead1

Apr 30, 2010
I don't think it's registering two touches at once as much as it just being confused. Try doing it on any other single-touch touch screen, you'll get weird bugs and errors.

I want to believe, but, rather than get my hopes up just to be disappointed, I'd rather be willfully ignorant. ;)

mmsbludhound

Aug 16, 2010

Just for your info, I've just tried the same experiment on my mum's x10 mini, and got different results. On the mini, when I tried putting another finger on the screen whilst drawing a line, the input detection went haywire, just as on a synaptic touchpad.

The x10 mini is known to have a digitizer made by Synaptic which supports dual-touch. I'm not sure what the result of this experiment means for multitouch on the x10. The different result obtained from the mini could be due to the hardware implementation of synaptic vs non-synaptic digitizers, but could also mean that the x10 does indeed not support multitouch. Then again, it could mean nothing at all and could be due to other factors.

Last edited:

PoTi_96

Aug 3, 2010
Wels
iHim got flamed yesterday for raising an observation that he'd made.. I'll restate it here with the intention of helping to make his point.. (it's the Multitouch hater thread shown above)..

on the standard SE keyboard - If you press the shift key, and then press any where else on the keyboard, it registers the second touch of the screen. Demonstrated through the change of capitalisation on the keyboard.. Seem to be the same behaviour described earlier in the thread around the drawing app..

What it's clearly not doing in registering 2 touches at the same time - but like someone else suggested this could be an OS limitation. Perhaps we'll see evidence when we get 2.1.

?

I knew this keyboard "bug" 3 weeks bevor =P
But i thought noone cares if i share this with you (-.-)
It works on apps, keyboard...
Try angry birds with the same "bug"

Sent from my rooted 026 x10i using XDA App

tome_1

Feb 10, 2009
Thought I'd give this test a go but using the touchscreen test in the "service tests" menus. I found that it doesn't behave like single-touch screens I've used before (ie on a touchscreen till) in the sense that if you touch it at two points it doesn't just regard the point of contact as the midpoint between the two fingers. If you use one finger first then another it just ignores both. Sometimes if you drag two fingers down the screen you can get it to draw a zig-zag between the two fingers.

Take from that what you will :)

PoTi_96

Aug 3, 2010
Wels
i think x10 supports MT (hardware only)
why?

- keyboard "bug"
- google maps zoom "bug"

the more we try, the more we find out

i hope 2.1 will support MT

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    29zu5vc.jpg

Download latest flashtool here:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=10738467

Extract the Dualtouch.rar from here:
    http://www.multiupload.com/K97IO1FTAR
    Mirror:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17170888/Dualtouch.rar

FTF-File for Flashtool Version 0.2.4 or higher:
    http://www-stud.uni-due.de/~sfanmakr/X10Flash/X10_1.0_Bin4ry_Dualtouch.ftf
    Copy this File into the firmwares folder directly!

and copy the "Dualtouch" Folder inside the Firmwares Folder of Flashtool.
    After that just flash and reboot =)
    If the Rom is capable of Dual-/Multitouch you will have it now.

Regards
    Bin4ry

NOTE:
    This will just ADD dualtouch feature to your ROM. It will not wipe userdata or something else, see it as an addon =)

If you having problems in stock Rom with Multitouch follow this guide: (thanks My_Immortal)
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=921302

Many of you may remember the huge debate about multi-touch that started just before the X10 was released and was still raging in the xda forums until this week. I certainly do and have followed the debate avidly. The first official line from Sony Ericsson was that multi-touch was considered for future X10 updates, that was quickly squashed with the confirmation that the X10′s hardware does not support multi-touch and so will never have the functionality.

Well, the latest u-turn comes again from the Sony Ericsson Product Blog and comes with an accompanying video of multi-touch pinch zooming in action. “We’ve videos of this before” you might say, but other videos have been doubted and the sources proven to be unreliable, this is straight from the horse’s mouth with proof on the developer’s own handset.

As an X10 user and lover.. erm.. you know what I mean. I’m genuinely excited by this news. It will fill the only real hole in the X10′s arsenal, albeit later than it should have been, just like the android 2.1 update. Should Sony Ericsson’s lead handset of this year have been released with 2.1 and multi-touch the sales for this handset would have been through the roof, instead they’ve dealt with slightly better than expected.

See the demo for yourself.

Xperia X10 Officially To Get Multi-Touch

Even though the focus of this blog at this point is mostly on the Android 2.1 update of the X10 family I have something else I would like to share with you.
    There has also been lots of rumors around this and I just want to clarify what we’re working on and what to expect.
    (I will continue posting information on the current SW-update roll-out after this!)

As many of you know, just before the release of the Xperia X10 we saw lots of discussions around any potential support for multi touch.
    Myself and Sumit were then very clear on the fact that there were no plans of having X10 supporting multi touch and said so here on this blog mainly to not have you guys hoping for things that just wasn’t planned.

Since then, because of the huge reaction to this and the real desire for multi touch expressed by you the users, there has been lots of investigations going on and I now have some good news to disclose. We aim to enable multi touch (pinch zoom) in an over-the-air update for the X10. The timing for this update is still a bit work in progress but it will for most markets be during Q1 next year.

What has happened is that some brilliant engineers actually was able to change the driver and firmware for the touch digitizer to make some multi touch gestures work. We are still working on perfecting the user experience and I will keep you updated as work progresses.

I also want to be clear on what to expect from this feature. The digitizer in the X10 is not perfect when it comes to multi touch, there will as an example be situations like when the movement of the two fingers cross each other on the X- or Y-axis that could cause strange behavior. (There has been much online debating around what is “good” and “bad” Multi Touch in competitor phones and this is following the same lines.)

Therefore we also will not enable it everywhere but the current plan is to enable it for the following use-cases:
    - Pinch/Zoom in the web browser.
    - Pinch/Zoom in Google Maps.

Besides that there is also support in third party applications but because of the limitations on e.g. crossing axis there might be situations where it behaves strangely while it will work just fine for most use-cases.
    The support is basically for gestures like pinch/zoom so don’t expect e.g. multi touch gaming with buttons pressed simultaneously on different parts of the screen to work.
    Let me know if you have specific multi touch enabled apps you want me to test!

Below is a video where I show some of the use-cases and what to expect on a prototype SW in my X10.

* Will it have multi-touch in future updates?
    Xperia X10 has a capacitive screen. It does not support multi-touch functionality at launch, but is considered for the future.
    - blogs.sonyericsson.com
    Seeing as threads even hinting at multi-touch on the Xperia X10 are getting closed I thought I'd start this thread to list some of them to keep the discussion in one thread, which hopefully will remain open so that those who wish to discuss it can. The first one gives hope, but time will tell.

Samsung i5700 hacked for multitouch, what does that mean for the X10?

Multitouch HATER!

Possiblity of MultiTouch in X10-Unofficially !

Xperia x10 Multi-touch and updates after 2.1

X10 has multi-touch - proved

X10 can do multitouch after all, applause!!!!

X10 DOES have Multitouch

Is x10 is supporting multi-touch

multi touch( come and discuss)

dual touch - test - do it yourself
    -----

Im not sure if it helps, but here are some images of the X10 Digitizer and screen :) Cracked open my broken X10 :p

j47pmp94870yq4x52uu_thumb.jpg

rc577p6nz0rigcbg3s_thumb.jpg

8ffhy5tsui7p6xkteut_thumb.jpg

qn64xwq8xnriipxxemtn_thumb.jpg

-----

I have found some information about the Microcontroller CY8C in pic number 3...

The manufacturer is Cypress Semiconductor

-----

Things get interesting from page 29 onwards.
    This may be the multi touch driver.

ex2.png
    I know the X10 subforum must be a ton of work to tidy up.
    But cursing at members and not givin' a fu%&k as you put it about the users is not exactly leading the way, as I would think being a part of the moderators team is something you should do?

my job is to keep these forums clean. not to hold hands and tuck him in for bed. and as long as i self sensor then i havent done anything wrong.

this forum has become overun with people who cant read, or fill it up with uselessness.
    out of date thread (MT released)

Based on this Site, we will have new update soon.

2.1.A.0.390 Jan 6, 2011

and Here

It is an update for Multitouch Driver
    or maybe Dualtouch
    I don't understand why is everybody so unhappy because we don't have latest android.
    2.1 is very stable and fast (with JIT2), after SE give us multitouch I am completely satisfied with X10. Ethernity rom is great, with multitouch will be excelent.
    For what are you using this phone? What so important are you missing?
    Flash is bull**** on this kind of devices, It drain battery as hell and is unusable.
    I have friend with HD2 + android 2.2.1 with flash so I see that it's ****.
    I agree with SE, optimized 2.1 is better than generic unstable 2.2

Would you be happy if you bought a computer and were told, no you can't upgrade your OS? X10 was marketed as top of the range phone, for top $ we expect top customer service. We shouldn't need to resort to hacks and kludges just to get decent performance from the phone. We paid for the phone, it's ours, we should have the right to flash any ROM we fancy on it - but we can't as the bootloader is locked.

There are a LOT of improvements in 2.2, and a lot more in 2.3 - we are still stuck with the same kernel from 1.6!!!

But just to list a few from .2/.3:

General Android OS speed, memory, and performance optimizations
    Additional application speed improvements courtesy of JIT implementation
    Integration of Chrome's V8 JavaScript engine into the Browser application
    Increased Microsoft Exchange support (security policies, auto-discovery, GAL look-up, calendar synchronization, remote wipe)
    USB tethering and Wi-Fi hotspot functionality
    Voice dialing and contact sharing over Bluetooth
    Support for file upload fields in the Browser application
    Support for installing applications to the expandable memory
    Adobe Flash 10.1 support
    Based on Linux Kernel 2.6.35.7
    Updated user interface design
    Native support for SIP VoIP telephony
    Support for WebM/VP8 video playback, and AAC audio encoding

New audio effects such as reverb, equalization, headphone virtualization, and bass boost
    System-wide copy–paste functionalities
    Redesigned multi-touch software keyboard
    Enhanced support for native code development
    Audio, graphical, and input enhancements for game developers
    Concurrent garbage collection for increased performance
    A download manager for long running downloads
    Improved power management and application control
    Switched from YAFFS to the ext4 filesystem

I bolded the ones that I, personally, was really looking forward to.

Sony Ericsson screwed their customers - stop making excuses for them, THEY DON'T DESERVE YOUR LOYALTY. You are like someone being beaten up by an abusive partner going; "it's ok, at least he didn't break my nose.. at least I have a nice car, what more could I want...life is ok"