[Q] Do you need to turn off the phone before swapping a fresh battery?

Search This thread

ultramag69

Nov 6, 2007
Waratah
I never do, so I'm wondering if I'm damaging my phone by doing this? So far, I have experienced no problems but wanted to ask just to be sure.

You should power off, yes...
These little toys we hold in our hands are almost the equivalent of a desktop PC from a few years ago. It needs to finish writing data to memory so you won't loose information. If it was writing important data there is a slight chance you can corrupt information and cause issues.
Better to be safe than sorry....

Reactions: cebep1 and Neo3D

vndnguyen

Sep 11, 2009
Vinnitsa
What will happen if I don't? Does anyone know for sure if it damages your data?

No one can know for sure what happens in this case...

In most cases it is safe without any damages, as you already did it. However in some rare case there might be a electric shock that can damage the data, who knows...

Sent from my Nexus7 vndn using Tapatalk

pete4k

Jan 2, 2014
If the system was writing something to internal memory or SD card, it can get corrupted if power is disrupted in the middle. If it was cache or something less important, it should be no problem, since we can wipe whole cache with no harm, but if it's something more important, then you'll be posting here about your phone not working properly or dead sd card. As a matter of fact check lost.dir on your SD card, if you have one. If anything is there, those are unalocated blocks containing data from corrupted files, so you could recover at least some part of the data.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I never do, so I'm wondering if I'm damaging my phone by doing this? So far, I have experienced no problems but wanted to ask just to be sure.

You should power off, yes...
    These little toys we hold in our hands are almost the equivalent of a desktop PC from a few years ago. It needs to finish writing data to memory so you won't loose information. If it was writing important data there is a slight chance you can corrupt information and cause issues.
    Better to be safe than sorry....
    I just take off the cover and remove the battery and put in a fresh 100% one?

I don't plug it in before I do that?

I just mainly do this because I'm too lazy to wait for it to shut down.

that's ok, no problem
    but it shoud be better if you shut down the phone before swapping the battery.