Wrong recovery flashed, now can't get recognized by flashing program

Search This thread

Weekay

Jul 26, 2012
I accidentally flashed wrong recovery.img to my ATM7021 -based tablet. Now when the tablet is booted it does not boot into OS but into recovery. I cannot get the tablet to be recognized by the flashing program (Tablet Product Tool), before this I had to press power + vol down but now the tablet just boots.

Is the tablet totally bricked now or are there any suggestions?

Weekay

Jul 26, 2012
The tablet can be recognized by ADB, it sees it when I type:

adb devices

and I can command "adb reboot booloader" but that just resets the device back to recovery.

olokos

Recognized Developer
Oct 16, 2011
Warsaw
If you can use adb in the recovery then make use of it!

Adb flash recovery recovery.img. Not sure how that works with mediatek devices, but I'd try to use adb to do something like that. For devices with fastboot it's just fastboot flash recovery recovery.img.

If the recovery works then flash recovery as a zip.

Google on how to use adb to flash recovery, hopefully you'll get it to work.

Weekay

Jul 26, 2012
OK, I didn't know adb can be used to flash, I tried fastboot but apparently it does not work, it can't see the device.

I'll have to Google for instructions, but I do have all firmware files available and there is "apply update from sdcard" or something, can the firmware be just zipped and reflashed? The software I used (to flash and screw up) was Actions Pad Tool or similar which no longer recognizes the device.

Weekay

Jul 26, 2012
Update to this, I tried to zip the recovery image to zip and place it in SD Card. When I power on the device it tried to update from the SD card but it resulted in error, ERR 2 I believe it said.

I do have all .img files which apparently are required for the firmware.

Weekay

Jul 26, 2012
Well no progress so far. I cannot get the tablet to go into flash mode for Pad Product Tool.

However, I read somewhere that if you open the tablet and short two pins of the nand chip the tablet is then forced to go into AFDU mode and Pad Product Tool should then recognize it. Can anyone confirm that this is true and have you succesfully restored your tablet by using this method?

olokos

Recognized Developer
Oct 16, 2011
Warsaw
You should've replied with a quote like my signature says so I'd reply you quicker.

I've heard about this pins shorting, but make sure you short the right pins of your very own device as this stuff - when done wrong can kill your device.

Send me the updater-script from the zip that you have made, but first dig the Web for recovery flashable firmware of your tablet. You just might eventually find it.

Weekay

Jul 26, 2012
You should've replied with a quote like my signature says so I'd reply you quicker.

I've heard about this pins shorting, but make sure you short the right pins of your very own device as this stuff - when done wrong can kill your device.

Send me the updater-script from the zip that you have made, but first dig the Web for recovery flashable firmware of your tablet. You just might eventually find it.

OK, at this point I must say I have some knowledge about computer but far less about Android firmwares. I only zipped those image files and then tried to install them via sdcard so clearly I did someting wrong then. The firmware files are from the Chinese seller and he keeps telling to flash them via Actions Pad Tool, fails to understand I cannot get the table to flash mode.

Weekay

Jul 26, 2012
Okay, I opened the tablet and apparently the NAND chip is made by Micron?

The code is: 29F64G08CBABA

According to this thread Onda V811 uses same chip:

http://www.androidtablets.net/threads/locate-tf-boot-pins-for-29f64g08cbaba-nand-flash-memory.58072/

And the user in that thread apparently did find correct pins but unfortunately the attachment does not work.

EDIT: Here is more discussion about that:

http://www.androidtablets.net/threads/onda-v811-completely-dead.58060/

Now I have to figure which pins to short.

Last edited:

olokos

Recognized Developer
Oct 16, 2011
Warsaw
Okay, I opened the tablet and apparently the NAND chip is made by Micron?

The code is: 29F64G08CBABA

According to this thread Onda V811 uses same chip:

http://www.androidtablets.net/threads/locate-tf-boot-pins-for-29f64g08cbaba-nand-flash-memory.58072/

And the user in that thread apparently did find correct pins but unfortunately the attachment does not work.

EDIT: Here is more discussion about that:

http://www.androidtablets.net/threads/onda-v811-completely-dead.58060/

Now I have to figure which pins to short.

Sorry about the delay. I recently back home and I got all of my stuff sorted just recently, including going through over 90 notifications on xda and that wasn't really encouraging to do, but I finally did that. :)

I found your SoC datasheet. It's here http://www.datasheet4u.com/share_search.php?sWord=29F64G08CBABA
Try to understand this, maybe it will help you.