[7.March.2012][ROM][P73xx] ♫♫ Overcome 8.9 Series v2.3.1 ♫♫

Search This thread

alterbridge86

Retired Recognized Developer
May 27, 2010
Boston
DISCLAIMER: You know the drill, I am not responsible if loading this rom makes your Tab melt, explode, disintegrate, or cause harm to anyone near it. (I am fairly certain none of that will happen though ;) )

Change log in second post.

Welcome to The Overcome Experience - 8.9 Edition :D. For those of you that don’t know me, let me introduce myself. I am AlterBridge86, the creator of The Overcome Experience. I started developing a ROM on the OG Galaxy Tab (P1000) about 10 months ago and have moved on to having my own brand of ROM’s, Kernels, and Recoverys. The Galaxy Tab 8.9 (P7310) is now the third device family to get a “Overcome Series” ROM, however it will most definitely not be the last.

My mission is simple. I aim to vastly improve the stock user experience on Samsung devices. I think that Samsung makes fantastic hardware, however fails to bring the same level of software quality to their devices. This is where I step in. I take the base rom, as provided by Samsung, and perform further optimization and modification to it. My mods aim not to completely customize the user interface, but rather add some very useful key functionality while retaining the “stock android” look.

NOTE: This will NOT work on the LTE variants of the 8.9!!!

ROM FEATURES
  • Please read the announcement post on the TOE website for a full rundown of the release! http://www.teamovercome.net/p7300
  • Based on P7300XWLA2 / P7310UELA3 (Android 3.2)
  • Fully Deodexed
  • Fully Zipaligned
  • Rooted/Busybox installed
  • Stock kernel with modified initramfs
  • Themed with stock-ish Honeycomb look
  • Ads blocked
  • Updated Maps to 6.3.0
  • Updated Play Store to 3.4.6
  • Updated SamsungApps to 3.10.115
  • Updated Flash Player to 11.1.111.7
  • Updated Play Books to 2.3.5
  • Updated Play Music to 4.1.513
  • Updated Play Movies to 1.4.9
  • Updated YouTube to 3.5.5
  • Launcher from P7310UELA3 (equally as smooth as the stock launcher while retaining TW functionality)
  • Modded Browser from Android 3.2.2 (UAString chooser in Advanced Options)
  • Bootanimation.zip support (cool boot animation included thanks to gammaRascal in the Iconia forums)
  • Extended Power Menu (Reboot, Recovery, Download)

Install Instructions
  • Download CWM from here if you don't have it already: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1312218
  • Download the appropriate install zip from below and put it in your Tabs internal storage
  • Reboot into CWM recovery (Turn Tab off, then press power button and volume down until you see the choice to boot download mode or recovery. Press volume down to highlight recovery, then volume up to select it.)
  • Navigate to install from zip, choose the install zip and install away! (Wiping data prior to install is recommended)
  • However, if you wish to attempt a non-wipe install (ONLY for users already on Overcome), follow these instructions: Prior to rebooting into recovery for install, go into Manage Apps and clear data on launcher. Immediately reboot into recovery using the power menu - DO NOT go back ot the home screen first. Install zip without data wipe. After install completes, wipe cache. Reboot.
  • Wiping data is highly recommended, especially if coming from a stock rom or another rom. You can do this prior to the install from the main screen of CWM recovery.

SCREENSHOTS

INSTALL GUIDE
http://www.teamovercome.net/p7300/?page_id=6

DOWNLOADS
http://www.teamovercome.net/p7300/?page_id=9
MIRRORS
None at this time...

SOURCES
https://github.com/alterbridge86

REMOVED APPS DOWNLOAD - To install, simply place the apks in /system/app. These will NOT install like a normal APK.
P7300 - Removed until i modify them to not include non-samsung apps
P7310 - Removed until i modify them to not include non-samsung apps
HideBar - http://ppareit.github.com/HideBar/

The best is yet to come!

Last edited:

alterbridge86

May 27, 2010
Boston
KNOWN ISSUES
  • Wallpaper does not scroll (but this is by design really...its why the launcher is SO smooth...)

ROM AND KERNEL CHANGE LOG

Overcome 8.9 Series v2.3.1
  • eBook application returns!
  • Updated Books to Play Books 2.3.5
  • Updated Music to Play Music 4.1.513
  • Updated Videos to Play Movies 1.4.9
  • Updated Market to Play Store 3.4.6
  • Removed HideBar (did not work reliably when preinstalled – please get from HideBar website if you wish to use this app)
  • Reverted to a modded stock browser (will fix most back button bugs as well as some user agent issues)

Overcome 8.9 Series v2.3.0
  • Rebased on P7300XWLA2/P7310UELA3
  • Updated Maps to 6.3.0
  • Updated Flash Player to 11.1.111.6
  • Updated Samsung Apps to 3.10.115
  • Launcher from UELA3 used (significantly improved landscape performance)
  • HideBar v0.12 included (installed in /data so can be removed by user if they so choose)
  • SwitchMe v1.2.2 included (installed in /data so can be removed by user if they so choose)
  • CWM Recovery 5.5.0.4 Included

Last edited:

alterbridge86

May 27, 2010
Boston
Hello All! The Overcome Experience has come to the Galaxy Tab 8.9 :D I am glad to be here and providing the best experience possible to all Galaxy Tab 8.9'ers out there :)

I have just a few points to cover in this post, and then we're off to the races. I'm sure some of you may be familiar with my works and know that I have a website, www.teamovercome.net, which houses an excellent install guide, tweaks, faqs, downloads, and more for all the devices I support. Unfortunately, we are having an issue with our host so I will not be building a website for this device until we are set up on a new hosting service. However, I did not want that alone to hold up the release of this ROM, so here we are :)

During the course of my development, I have made two very important discoveries. Firstly, as you most likely noticed in the first post, we are running a P7510 rom. Yes, P7510 roms are 99% compatible with the P7310 - only minor tweaking is required to make it work perfectly. For this reason, I have based this rom off of the latest rom available for the P7510 which is very smooth and performs exceptionally well.

My second discovery comes with some good and bad news. I'm sure you all have noticed that there is horrendous lag when swiping between the homescreens in landscape mode. Initially, I blamed this on the rom. I tried several different P7310 roms, including the P7510 rom which this release is based on, and while some were better than others, it continued to exhibit more lag than the P7510. Naturally, I found this extremely odd because these devices are identical with the exception of the screens. Another bit of background info before moving on in this story, Honeycomb has been plagued with an issue up until the 3.2 release which caused the device, when used in portrait mode, have very stuttery, laggy performance. The 3.2 release significantly improved that issue so much that it is nearly identical to the performance of landscape mode.

Moving on, I learned that the tab actually has a default orientation of portrait (notice that CWM is in portrait mode on the 8.9, whereas on 10.1 it is in landscape). As a result of this, there is a modifier in the build.prop that rotates the screen appropriately. However, the side effect of this, is that the performance issues seen on typical Honeycomb tablets in portrait mode now manifest in landscape mode. If you flip the tab into portrait, you will see the butter smooth performance one would expect in landscape. (I urge you to try this out once you flash the rom - it gives you a taste of what is to come in the future!) So the bad news of this is that there is really nothing I can do to fix this at this time. This rom has SIGNIFICANTLY improved landscape performance, but its still not perfect. The good news however is that once we get 3.2, and definitely ICS, we will no longer have to worry about these sorts of performance issues.

All that said, I hope you all enjoy the release and as always, the best is yet to come!

Last edited:

davioxx

Jun 12, 2009
mexico
well i dont use my 3g capability :p, so I will download it right now but still count me for testing/using the correcto 7300 version =D, also is it necessary to wipe?

edit: recovery is good to go for the 7300?

thanks alterbridge :D

Last edited:

alterbridge86

May 27, 2010
Boston
Wipe is a recommended idea - you can try without it and see how it goes, but if you are seeing all sorts of FC and stuff, then you should wipe.

Recovery works on both 7310/7300, if thats what you mean...

Reactions: davioxx

netxph

Dec 17, 2010
Trece Martires City
Would like to see this work on 3g as well. But I can't stop salivating on this...

I'm strapping myself now, not to do anything with my tablet. I relied too much on 3g internet... :(

poolguy

Mar 2, 2007
Much obliged alter. Putting it through the paces now, so far so good.

Sent from my GT-P7310 using Tapatalk

davioxx

Jun 12, 2009
mexico
Success

Hello guys just confirming it working on the 7300 no 3G data Ive never used it before so cant confirm anything,
took around 5 minutes for first boot, wouldnt work without wipe

KitF

Dec 14, 2010
Philadelphia
kit.im
Hey, I just won a 8.9 and am considering this ROM due to the HW acceleration. Is it possible to revert the soft buttons to the TouchWiz versions? While I'm fine with the "Tron" look of stock Honeycomb, it doesn't match Touchwiz well.

bigbrovar

Feb 16, 2011
Hello guys just confirming it working on the 7300 no 3G data Ive never used it before so cant confirm anything,
took around 5 minutes for first boot, wouldnt work without wipe
Great! So who would u describe the performance? Compared to stock. Does the UI still lag? What are your first impressions

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA App

Jade Eyed Wolf

Nov 4, 2010
Arlington Virginia
Very much looking forward to a P7300 3G build of this!

Also, +1 on the question of overclocking/undervolting; Tegra 2 is cool and all, but it's no Exynos.

My GS2 has spoiled me when it comes to performance. <_<;;

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    DISCLAIMER: You know the drill, I am not responsible if loading this rom makes your Tab melt, explode, disintegrate, or cause harm to anyone near it. (I am fairly certain none of that will happen though ;) )

Change log in second post.

Welcome to The Overcome Experience - 8.9 Edition :D. For those of you that don’t know me, let me introduce myself. I am AlterBridge86, the creator of The Overcome Experience. I started developing a ROM on the OG Galaxy Tab (P1000) about 10 months ago and have moved on to having my own brand of ROM’s, Kernels, and Recoverys. The Galaxy Tab 8.9 (P7310) is now the third device family to get a “Overcome Series” ROM, however it will most definitely not be the last.

My mission is simple. I aim to vastly improve the stock user experience on Samsung devices. I think that Samsung makes fantastic hardware, however fails to bring the same level of software quality to their devices. This is where I step in. I take the base rom, as provided by Samsung, and perform further optimization and modification to it. My mods aim not to completely customize the user interface, but rather add some very useful key functionality while retaining the “stock android” look.

NOTE: This will NOT work on the LTE variants of the 8.9!!!

ROM FEATURES
    • Please read the announcement post on the TOE website for a full rundown of the release! http://www.teamovercome.net/p7300
    • Based on P7300XWLA2 / P7310UELA3 (Android 3.2)
    • Fully Deodexed
    • Fully Zipaligned
    • Rooted/Busybox installed
    • Stock kernel with modified initramfs
    • Themed with stock-ish Honeycomb look
    • Ads blocked
    • Updated Maps to 6.3.0
    • Updated Play Store to 3.4.6
    • Updated SamsungApps to 3.10.115
    • Updated Play Books to 2.3.5
    • Updated Play Music to 4.1.513
    • Updated Play Movies to 1.4.9
    • Launcher from P7310UELA3 (equally as smooth as the stock launcher while retaining TW functionality)
    • Modded Browser from Android 3.2.2 (UAString chooser in Advanced Options)
    • Bootanimation.zip support (cool boot animation included thanks to gammaRascal in the Iconia forums)
    • Extended Power Menu (Reboot, Recovery, Download)

Install Instructions
    • Download CWM from here if you don't have it already: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1312218
    • Download the appropriate install zip from below and put it in your Tabs internal storage
    • Reboot into CWM recovery (Turn Tab off, then press power button and volume down until you see the choice to boot download mode or recovery. Press volume down to highlight recovery, then volume up to select it.)
    • Navigate to install from zip, choose the install zip and install away! (Wiping data prior to install is recommended)
    • However, if you wish to attempt a non-wipe install (ONLY for users already on Overcome), follow these instructions: Prior to rebooting into recovery for install, go into Manage Apps and clear data on launcher. Immediately reboot into recovery using the power menu - DO NOT go back ot the home screen first. Install zip without data wipe. After install completes, wipe cache. Reboot.
    • Wiping data is highly recommended, especially if coming from a stock rom or another rom. You can do this prior to the install from the main screen of CWM recovery.

SCREENSHOTS

INSTALL GUIDE
    http://www.teamovercome.net/p7300/?page_id=6

DOWNLOADS
    http://www.teamovercome.net/p7300/?page_id=9
    MIRRORS
    None at this time...

SOURCES
    https://github.com/alterbridge86

REMOVED APPS DOWNLOAD - To install, simply place the apks in /system/app. These will NOT install like a normal APK.
    P7300 - Removed until i modify them to not include non-samsung apps
    P7310 - Removed until i modify them to not include non-samsung apps
    HideBar - http://ppareit.github.com/HideBar/

The best is yet to come!
    KNOWN ISSUES
    • Wallpaper does not scroll (but this is by design really...its why the launcher is SO smooth...)

ROM AND KERNEL CHANGE LOG

Overcome 8.9 Series v2.3.1
    • eBook application returns!
    • Updated Books to Play Books 2.3.5
    • Updated Music to Play Music 4.1.513
    • Updated Videos to Play Movies 1.4.9
    • Updated Market to Play Store 3.4.6
    • Removed HideBar (did not work reliably when preinstalled – please get from HideBar website if you wish to use this app)
    • Reverted to a modded stock browser (will fix most back button bugs as well as some user agent issues)

Overcome 8.9 Series v2.3.0
    • Rebased on P7300XWLA2/P7310UELA3
    • Updated Maps to 6.3.0
    • Updated Flash Player to 11.1.111.6
    • Updated Samsung Apps to 3.10.115
    • Launcher from UELA3 used (significantly improved landscape performance)
    • HideBar v0.12 included (installed in /data so can be removed by user if they so choose)
    • SwitchMe v1.2.2 included (installed in /data so can be removed by user if they so choose)
    • CWM Recovery 5.5.0.4 Included
    Hello All! The Overcome Experience has come to the Galaxy Tab 8.9 :D I am glad to be here and providing the best experience possible to all Galaxy Tab 8.9'ers out there :)

I have just a few points to cover in this post, and then we're off to the races. I'm sure some of you may be familiar with my works and know that I have a website, www.teamovercome.net, which houses an excellent install guide, tweaks, faqs, downloads, and more for all the devices I support. Unfortunately, we are having an issue with our host so I will not be building a website for this device until we are set up on a new hosting service. However, I did not want that alone to hold up the release of this ROM, so here we are :)

During the course of my development, I have made two very important discoveries. Firstly, as you most likely noticed in the first post, we are running a P7510 rom. Yes, P7510 roms are 99% compatible with the P7310 - only minor tweaking is required to make it work perfectly. For this reason, I have based this rom off of the latest rom available for the P7510 which is very smooth and performs exceptionally well.

My second discovery comes with some good and bad news. I'm sure you all have noticed that there is horrendous lag when swiping between the homescreens in landscape mode. Initially, I blamed this on the rom. I tried several different P7310 roms, including the P7510 rom which this release is based on, and while some were better than others, it continued to exhibit more lag than the P7510. Naturally, I found this extremely odd because these devices are identical with the exception of the screens. Another bit of background info before moving on in this story, Honeycomb has been plagued with an issue up until the 3.2 release which caused the device, when used in portrait mode, have very stuttery, laggy performance. The 3.2 release significantly improved that issue so much that it is nearly identical to the performance of landscape mode.

Moving on, I learned that the tab actually has a default orientation of portrait (notice that CWM is in portrait mode on the 8.9, whereas on 10.1 it is in landscape). As a result of this, there is a modifier in the build.prop that rotates the screen appropriately. However, the side effect of this, is that the performance issues seen on typical Honeycomb tablets in portrait mode now manifest in landscape mode. If you flip the tab into portrait, you will see the butter smooth performance one would expect in landscape. (I urge you to try this out once you flash the rom - it gives you a taste of what is to come in the future!) So the bad news of this is that there is really nothing I can do to fix this at this time. This rom has SIGNIFICANTLY improved landscape performance, but its still not perfect. The good news however is that once we get 3.2, and definitely ICS, we will no longer have to worry about these sorts of performance issues.

All that said, I hope you all enjoy the release and as always, the best is yet to come!
    3.2 will be coming soon - :D
    v2.0.0 is LIVE!

At long last Android 3.2 is here! As you can see in the changelog, this is once again based off a P7500/P7510 rom. Don't fear however, all the issues that were reported the last time have either been fixed or are no longer an issue :)

I went with the P75xx roms because I didn't feel the recent 3.2 leaks for the 73xx series were anything great...I found performance to be significantly better on the 75xx bases, so I went with it.

Along with that is the usual slew of updates, including the inclusion of a number of STOCK HC apps from Android 3.2.2. The browser and launcher in particular are big standouts and are exceptional performers. Landscape is much smoother than it was in 3.1...its not perfect yet, but it is now probably about equal to what the Xoom looked like in landscape when it first launched on HC 3.0 :p

On that matter, after looking into it some more it does seem to be a combined hardware/software issue. Tegra lacks the ability to rotate the screen, so that work is passed off to the CPU resulting in the resultant lags. I say its also somewhat software based too though because as we've seen, the lag does get better over the releases, but still kind of sucks. We'll see what it looks like in ICS and if Google figured out a way to work around the rotation issue.

One more point of contention - this version WILL require a wipe (3.1 to 3.2 is sort of a big jump) All that said though, hit the downloads and enjoy!