Barometer?

Search This thread

aol8mydog

Dec 26, 2008
Redmond
I just found out about a barometer in some Android devices, but it doesn't look like HTC phones have a barometer. Anyone have any confirmation? Maybe the hardware is there but there are no drivers?

A barometer would typically be used to help with GPS, but is now being used to help short-term local weather forecasting with PressureNET. I'm in western WA, and anyone around here knows the local weather is difficult to predict. It would be cool to help contribute.

Bigandrewgold

Mar 26, 2011
I am pretty sure it doesn't. What devices do have it?

Sent from my GT-P7510 using xda app-developers app

feanor3

Apr 28, 2010
Really?

+1 for what devices have a built in barometer? That seems like a really niche feature for a smartphone.

zone23

Feb 16, 2009
The Motorola Xoom has one. Originally it was thought it could be used with Google Maps and it would know what floor of a building you were on or so I was told.

jamesbra

Oct 2, 2010
They are usually listed as a " pressure sensor" and they are supposed to help with GPS. If I remember correctly the s3 has one.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

aol8mydog

Dec 26, 2008
Redmond
Yeah, the Xoom and various Samsung devices have one. I was hoping that some HTC phones would possibly have the hardware but not the drivers (yet). Oh well, wishful thinking.

Izzmit

Dec 5, 2009
Having a problem getting a direct embedded picture. And the stupid browser is so old.... sorry.
Anyways, the screenshot is of temple run. Notice the "Pressure" entry -- misreported, or is it a barometer reading? Weirdness.

Screenshot.png