[Q] TWRP and CWM for Verizon Galaxy S4

Search This thread

the immunity

Feb 1, 2014
I have Safestrap up and running again but I'm wondering how can you install other recoveries like TWRP and CWM so I can boot directly into the custom recovery without a splashscreen I believe it's called (newbie here). I followed instructions online with GooManager for TWRP and ROM Manager for CWM but neither will actually boot into the custom recovery.

In GooManager after it says the TWRP recovery has been installed, it will reboot but then take me to the downloading boot screen and say "could not do a normal boot." What's with that? I actually had to use ODIN again to flash the stock ROM back (I tried this three times to no avail...)

And for CWM it says it successfully flashed in ROM Manager but when I actually reboot into recovery, whether it be from the app or manually, it will just boot into the stock Android recovery. I don't get it...

What am I doing wrong and/or is my phone not compatible with these recoveries?

Specs:
Verizon Galaxy S4
Android 4.3
Build MK2
Kernel MK2

Also are there any other recoveries that might work with my phone?

Thanks!

vanydotk

Mar 31, 2006
Bootloader is locked and custom recovery can't be installed on newer/updated S4. Do some reading to find out what is and is not possible with a locked bootloader.

Reactions: the immunity

decaturbob

Mar 30, 2011
Decatur
I have Safestrap up and running again but I'm wondering how can you install other recoveries like TWRP and CWM so I can boot directly into the custom recovery without a splashscreen I believe it's called (newbie here). I followed instructions online with GooManager for TWRP and ROM Manager for CWM but neither will actually boot into the custom recovery.

In GooManager after it says the TWRP recovery has been installed, it will reboot but then take me to the downloading boot screen and say "could not do a normal boot." What's with that? I actually had to use ODIN again to flash the stock ROM back (I tried this three times to no avail...)

And for CWM it says it successfully flashed in ROM Manager but when I actually reboot into recovery, whether it be from the app or manually, it will just boot into the stock Android recovery. I don't get it...

Specs:
Verizon Galaxy S4
Android 4.3
Build MK2
Kernel MK2

Thanks!

I'm not sure how any one misses a sticky thread like this one:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2606501

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Specs:
    Verizon Galaxy S4
    Android 4.3
    Build MK2
    Kernel MK2

Thanks!

I'm not sure how any one misses a sticky thread like this one:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2606501
    Bootloader is locked and custom recovery can't be installed on newer/updated S4. Do some reading to find out what is and is not possible with a locked bootloader.