[Q] Bluetooth poor connexion with wireless heaphones/speakers

Search This thread

pascalforget

Mar 10, 2014
Hello. I received my Omate US Version, 8Gb a few days ago, stock version of the system (reinstalled after trying the excellent Lokifish Marz firmware).

The Bluetooth connexion seems very poor for music transmission with Bluetooth headsets or speakers; when I move to watch more than 10 centimeters (about 4 inches) away from the Omate interference starts (the music "stutters") and connection stops completely (disconnects) at about 20-30 centimeters. Can't listen to music consistently while moving my arm (... when I walk).

Could there be an hardware issue with the Bluetooth antenna?

I tried rebooting, turning Bluetooth on and off multiple times, even reinstalling the firmware (the issue was present with the Lokifish Marz firmware).

I'm trying to listen simple 128 kbps mp3 (non VBR). (I discovered the issue while listening 192 kbps vbr, I taught it was the problem...).

The only way I manage to have a smooth playback is by putting the Omate in the same pocket as the receptor of the Bluetooth headset, or with a Bluetooth emitter clipped to the watchband (I tried with three different Bluetooth headsets and also a Bluetooth speaker that works perfectly with my other phones.

Thanks for your advices and suggestions.

Last edited:

flimmyflam

Mar 3, 2014
My bluetooth connection to my stereo in my car also stutters and disconnects. I also have a hard time connecting.

trent999

Nov 16, 2013
Just so folks will not get the wrong idea, on my stock 1/8/1900 TrueSmart with 20140120 firmware, the Bluetooth is excellent for music and phone both in my car or with BT headphones, and BT keyboard. It will also connect to the keyboard and another BT device at the same time. Range is excellent, 15 meters or more.

Lots of other Bluetooth issues, but these reports sound like antenna problems. Assembly on some TrueSmarts was very poorly done.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Reactions: pascalforget

eozdalga

Oct 21, 2010
Mountain View
Hello. I received my Omate US Version, 8Gb a few days ago, stock version of the system (reinstalled after trying the excellent Lokifish Marz firmware).

The Bluetooth connexion seems very poor for music transmission with Bluetooth headsets or speakers; when I move to watch more than 10 centimeters (about 4 inches) away from the Omate interference starts (the music "stutters") and connection stops completely (disconnects) at about 20-30 centimeters. Can't listen to music consistently while moving my arm (... when I walk).

I tried rebooting, turning Bluetooth on and off multiple times, even reinstalling the firmware (the issue was present with the Lokifish Marz firmware).

I'm trying to listen simple 128 kbps mp3 (non VBR). (I discovered the issue while listening 192 kbps vbr, I taught it was the problem...).

The only way I manage to have a smooth playback is by putting the Omate in the same pocket as the receptor of the Bluetooth headset, or with a Bluetooth emitter clipped to the watchband (I tried with three different Bluetooth headsets and also a Bluetooth speaker that works perfectly with my other phones.

I've only tried to exercise with it once while using Bluetooth and the same thing happened (switched back to my iPod after 2 minutes). I am currently on stock and plan to go back to the newest patch. I will try on both stock and patch and see if it's still happening. I hope this is indeed not an issue of poor assembly.

---------- Post added at 01:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:41 AM ----------

Lose antenna connector. Request a replacement.

Wow, okay just tested (both mp3 and movies stored on both internal and SD). When connect to Bluetooth, any movement causes stutter and pausing. When off bluetooth, no problems.

I've already removed the back cause went I flashed the ROM there were issues that require a battery pull and I installed an SD card. Not to mention, I emailed support over a week ago for another issue (now resolved) and no response.

Hope this can be fixed because this device is worthless if I can't run with it using Bluetooth!

gigaguy

Nov 4, 2006
NC
I have a Jabra Sport BT headset. I've used it with 2 different MotoactV and now this TS. Same signal issue on all of them. So I dont think it's the TS. I always had to wear both my MA and now TS on my right hand when using the headset while running.

pascalforget

Mar 10, 2014
Any movement causes stutter and pausing.

Wow, okay just tested (both mp3 and movies stored on both internal and SD). When connect to Bluetooth, any movement causes stutter and pausing. When off bluetooth, no problems.

I agree, I also have the feeling that simply moving the watch increases the interference.
Hope this can be fixed because this device is worthless if I can't run with it using Bluetooth!

Same here, I got the Omate Smartwatch specifically to run with music and GPS. :(

I wrote to support@omate.com, so far no answer.

P.

xkongox

Sep 20, 2006
Which connector is the bluetooth antenna?

Attachments

• 20140310_090151.jpg
    20140310_090151.jpg
    270.7 KB · Views: 349

trent999

Nov 16, 2013
@Lokifish Marz

is there any way we could try to fix a loose antenna connector?

You have to open the back, remove the battery, unscrew two internal screws to remove a black plastic shield under the battery.
Then you peel a silver sticker off the shield and using a splooger carefully lift the black plastic shield out. The way they assembled the TrueSmart, there is probably areas where white sealant sloppily applied is going to need to be removed enough to get the black plastic out. It should just lift out, but don't count on that...be careful lifting off the charging connector ribbon cable.

Once you are under there, you will see all the antennas for all stuff, including Bluetooth. They pop onto connectors on the main board, like little ball and socket connectors. Your Bluetooth one might just be touching, not popped on - sounds like it. Has been seen before.

Voids all sorts of warranties, probably, but that's your call.

eozdalga

Oct 21, 2010
Mountain View
You have to open the back, remove the battery, unscrew two internal screws to remove a black plastic shield under the battery.
Then you peel a silver sticker off the shield and using a splooger carefully lift the black plastic shield out. The way they assembled the TrueSmart, there is probably areas where white sealant sloppily applied is going to need to be removed enough to get the black plastic out. It should just lift out, but don't count on that...be careful lifting off the charging connector ribbon cable.

Once you are under there, you will see all the antennas for all stuff, including Bluetooth. They pop onto connectors on the main board, like little ball and socket connectors. Your Bluetooth one might just be touching, not popped on - sounds like it. Has been seen before.

Voids all sorts of warranties, probably, but that's your call.

That sounds a little tricky. Everything else works well and I wouldn't want to break anything else. A video would be helpful and knowing exactly there the antenna is for Bluetooth.

eozdalga

Oct 21, 2010
Mountain View
WiFi and BT are the same connector. Well at least they were in the FCC docs.

Just did some more testing and it seems its not exactly just movement. Whenever the TS is within 1 foot of the Bluetooth device it works much better. 1-2 feet away and it comes and goes with movement. More than 2 feet and no sound. Could this still be a loose antenna?

flimmyflam

Mar 3, 2014
I just want to say that I get stuttering issues in my car stereos connection, but when I connect my plantronics bluetooth headset, I can leave my watch in my room and walk 20 feet away and get perfect call clarity. My watch works perfectly with my bluetooth call headset, but will not work when I'm in my car connecting to my stereo. I would suggest trying to bluetooth connect with several devices, not just headphones, before messing with the antenna connections. At first, I thought it was faulty hardware, but after getting a perfect connection with my headset, I now think the connection on the board is solid, must be something else

eozdalga

Oct 21, 2010
Mountain View
I get 20-30ft with little issue so I would say yes.

I just removed everything and the connect seems to be solid tight. I made sure it was touching anything else and closed it back up very well. Still with the same Bluetooth issue. Funny thing is it works in the car bluetooth okay. I don't have another Bluetooth to test with music but my phone works with the headphones well. Not sure what next. I may install the patch and see if that makes any difference but I'm guessing not?

eozdalga

Oct 21, 2010
Mountain View
I just removed everything and the connect seems to be solid tight. I made sure it was touching anything else and closed it back up very well. Still with the same Bluetooth issue. Funny thing is it works in the car bluetooth okay. I don't have another Bluetooth to test with music but my phone works with the headphones well. Not sure what next. I may install the patch and see if that makes any difference but I'm guessing not?

Forgot to add a picture of my board. I think everything looks pretty normal.

IMG_20140310_134841.jpg

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Just so folks will not get the wrong idea, on my stock 1/8/1900 TrueSmart with 20140120 firmware, the Bluetooth is excellent for music and phone both in my car or with BT headphones, and BT keyboard. It will also connect to the keyboard and another BT device at the same time. Range is excellent, 15 meters or more.

Lots of other Bluetooth issues, but these reports sound like antenna problems. Assembly on some TrueSmarts was very poorly done.

I've only tried to exercise with it once while using Bluetooth and the same thing happened (switched back to my iPod after 2 minutes). I am currently on stock and plan to go back to the newest patch. I will try on both stock and patch and see if it's still happening. I hope this is indeed not an issue of poor assembly.

---------- Post added at 01:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:41 AM ----------

I've already removed the back cause went I flashed the ROM there were issues that require a battery pull and I installed an SD card. Not to mention, I emailed support over a week ago for another issue (now resolved) and no response.

WiFi and BT antenna
    WiFi and BT are the same connector. Well at least they were in the FCC docs.

Just did some more testing and it seems its not exactly just movement. Whenever the TS is within 1 foot of the Bluetooth device it works much better. 1-2 feet away and it comes and goes with movement. More than 2 feet and no sound. Could this still be a loose antenna?