[Q] Disastrous experience with Gear 2 paired to a non-Samsung phone?

Search This thread

mpogr

Jan 16, 2008
Melbourne
Hmm I thought your "solution" was a different custom ROM? Even if I sync an account with few (10) contacts it's the same issue for me...
dlog_system only shows Power Manager messages all day e.g.
06-04 13:05:36.359 303 303 I POWER_MANAGER: core.c: default_trans(1381) > S_LCDOFF -> S_SLEEP : check fail
It's probably a different issue then. Mine and many other's battery drain was related to excessive contact sync happening over and over again... It's easy to check though, just kill goproviders process on the phone and see if this improves your battery life.
BTW, did you experience the high drain when you were on the stock (non-rooted) Gear 2 ROM?

fibs

Mar 22, 2014
Hamburg
It's probably a different issue then. Mine and many other's battery drain was related to excessive contact sync happening over and over again... It's easy to check though, just kill goproviders process on the phone and see if this improves your battery life.
BTW, did you experience the high drain when you were on the stock (non-rooted) Gear 2 ROM?

Yes, it was few days ago with stock gear2 DD ROM. I think i will falsh Android Revolution HD and try again. On CM-11 even saproviders chrashes sometimes.. Maybe it's ROM related. Some poeple even complain it's not working properly using Samsung devices with custom ROM.

mpogr

Jan 16, 2008
Melbourne
Yes, it was few days ago with stock gear2 DD ROM. I think i will falsh Android Revolution HD and try again. On CM-11 even saproviders chrashes sometimes.. Maybe it's ROM related. Some poeple even complain it's not working properly using Samsung devices with custom ROM.
Have a look at your Gear 2 /var/log/dlog_main file. It usually contains pretty useful clues as to who's wasting Gear battery. Mine was full with contact sync related messages, that's how I determined the root cause and created a solution for it that was drastically reducing the frequency of contact syncs.

fibs

Mar 22, 2014
Hamburg
Have a look at your Gear 2 /var/log/dlog_main file. It usually contains pretty useful clues as to who's wasting Gear battery. Mine was full with contact sync related messages, that's how I determined the root cause and created a solution for it that was drastically reducing the frequency of contact syncs.

I will check again after flashing AHDR :)
btw.. dlog_system also contains Informational messages. dlog_main "only" warnings.

sh-3.2# cat dlog_logger.conf
dlogutil -b system -r 5120 -n 1 -f /var/log/dlog_system -v threadtime *:I
dlogutil -b main -r 3072 -n 1 -f /var/log/dlog_main -v threadtime *:W

rochester

Dec 15, 2007
more elaboration?

Another update, just found what seems to be a perfect way around the Bluetooth earpiece problem. A combination of Tasker and Secure Settings allows me to switch from Gear to my earpiece on incoming or outgoing call and then back to Gear when the call is finished. Seems to be working very smoothly! At least now I can wear the Gear throughout my workday and handle phone calls normally.
Looking for resolving other outstanding issues, the next most pressing one is alarm notifications.
Hoping to get working Runtastic when the company releases the app.
Last, having all these health functions (sleep tracker/pedometer/HR) and not being able to use them on the phone is pretty annoying. Hoping to get S Health eventually working on non-Samsung phones...

Hi Dude,
would you please elaborate a bit more on the "combination of Tasker and Secure Settings allow you to switch from Gear and BT earpiece"? i have the same problem and it is quite annoying. search the site and found only problems reported but no fix solution.
thank you and you are the man! :good:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Another update, just found what seems to be a perfect way around the Bluetooth earpiece problem. A combination of Tasker and Secure Settings allows me to switch from Gear to my earpiece on incoming or outgoing call and then back to Gear when the call is finished. Seems to be working very smoothly! At least now I can wear the Gear throughout my workday and handle phone calls normally.
    Looking for resolving other outstanding issues, the next most pressing one is alarm notifications.
    Hoping to get working Runtastic when the company releases the app.
    Last, having all these health functions (sleep tracker/pedometer/HR) and not being able to use them on the phone is pretty annoying. Hoping to get S Health eventually working on non-Samsung phones...
    I have my gear connected to my HTC m7 and I got three days of battery out of a single charge

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
    Is that w/the GEAR2/NEO or,w/the original GALAXY GEAR?

gear 2 neo
    OK, reading all the replies, it is apparent nobody else has the same kind of dreadful battery life. So it must be the custom M8 ROM I'm using (Insert Coin). I'm going to reflash a different one (will try Android Revolution HD, as this one is supposed to be as close as possible to stock) and see how it behaves.
    I did try flashing a BLE-supporting ROM to my old Galaxy Nexus, but it couldn't connect to the Gear. The Gear Manager was stuck forever while attempting to connect.