Add overlay help

Search This thread

Twiisted

Aug 3, 2012
Melbourne, Fl
Trying to build a rom, and keep getting an error stating "Resources appear in overlay but not in base. Use <add-resource> to add." Where do I add the resource? Noob question but I'm doing my best to learn, and have come a long way without any help. Any advice is appreciated :fingers-crossed:

Last edited:

garyd9

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
So, if someone wanted to repeat your issue in order to try and help you, what would they do? Your message is giving an error message, but not telling anyone when that message appears, what is generating the message, steps to repeat, what device you are using, what you've changed, etc, etc.

In fact, your message is only a little better than creating a new thread containing only the words "it doesn't work." (without defining "it", etc.)

take care
Gary

Twiisted

Aug 3, 2012
Melbourne, Fl
So, if someone wanted to repeat your issue in order to try and help you, what would they do? Your message is giving an error message, but not telling anyone when that message appears, what is generating the message, steps to repeat, what device you are using, what you've changed, etc, etc.

In fact, your message is only a little better than creating a new thread containing only the words "it doesn't work." (without defining "it", etc.)

take care
Gary

Well, Gary...First off, thank you for responding. I understand the confusion as this is a dual device thread. I'm working on the SGS 3 (d2att). I figured my message was pretty much self explanatory as to the issue I'm having. When I stated trying to "build" a rom. I figured that would mean during the compiling script. Overlay issues generally seem to be related to vendor files as far as I can tell. I tried to add a device framework dimesion overlay to one of my vendor files (An s3 common folder I forked from Rootbox). I edited the arrays.xml and config.xml file inside the values folder under frameworks/base/core to allow such resources. This seemed to be the logical step, but then the error presented itself.

Last edited:

thewadegeek

Mar 20, 2011
Cedar Rapids
A overlay is supposed to modify a value in the base to the specific one you need for your device. So you must have added a value in your overlay that is not present in the base. Let's see if you can figure it out from there.

Twiisted

Aug 3, 2012
Melbourne, Fl
A overlay is supposed to modify a value in the base to the specific one you need for your device. So you must have added a value in your overlay that is not present in the base. Let's see if you can figure it out from there.

You basically just paraphrased what I said in the previous post. I told you the steps I took to correct the error. Did it work? No....

thewadegeek

Mar 20, 2011
Cedar Rapids
Trying to build a rom, and keep getting an error stating "Resources appear in overlay but not in base. Use to add." Where do I add the resource? Noob question but I'm doing my best to learn, and have come a long way without any help. Any advice is appreciated :fingers-crossed:

Pretty sure I answered the one question you asked in your OP. Plus I believe this whole thread is better suited for Chef Central.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using Tapatalk 2

thewadegeek

Mar 20, 2011
Cedar Rapids
Because we can all read your mind and your computer logs to know exactly what you typed. You asked a question and I answered it, without knowing what exactly you changed/added how are we supposes to provide any further support?

I did read your post...I don't see how it was supposed to change my answer though.

Last edited:
Reactions: deeznutz1977

Twiisted

Aug 3, 2012
Melbourne, Fl
It's all good man...just frustrating. I've worked out sooo many kinks but this one has me stumped. The logs are gone and it takes 90 min to even get to that point during the build. I added device configurations to the vendor files. The ones giving me trouble are the resources in the vendor overlays files. Like I said, I added the resources to the config.xml and array.xml in the base...it still won't compile.

garyd9

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Well, Gary...First off, thank you for responding. I understand the confusion as this is a dual device thread. I'm working on the SGS 3 (d2att). I figured my message was pretty much self explanatory as to the issue I'm having. When I stated trying to "build" a rom. I figured that would mean during the compiling script. Overlay issues generally seem to be related to vendor files as far as I can tell. I tried to add a device framework dimesion overlay to one of my vendor files (An s3 common folder I forked from Rootbox). I edited the arrays.xml and config.xml file inside the values folder under frameworks/base/core to allow such resources. This seemed to be the logical step, but then the error presented itself.
You are still leaving out information. Based on some of the other replies, it's pretty obvious that I'm not the only one who thinks so.

For example, it seems to be (based on some of the things you are saying) that you are building a form of AOSP? CM? AOKP? Something else? What? Which version? (Yes, it DOES matter.)

It might help if you recreate your situation from a "known" starting point. For example, grab the cm10 (or 10.1) code as a starting point. Then make minimal changes to that in order to reproduce your problem. (I'm guessing this would mean just adding a couple xml files to the overlay.) If you get the same error, then you'll be able to post CLEAR instructions to repeat the issue - such as "started with cm10.1 and was able to compile for d2att fine. Added the following files (attached) to the x/y/z directory and then edited file a/b/c to what is also attached, and then when I run brunch, I get an error stating 'error message here'"

If you do what I suggested, then someone else would be able to reproduce exactly what you are seeing (or at least be able to understand the context of your issue) and might help.

...unless, of course, you are deliberately NOT sharing information. If that's the case, please state that. It would make things easier.

cpu999

Sep 7, 2011
Trying to build a rom, and keep getting an error stating "Resources appear in overlay but not in base. Use <add-resource> to add." Where do I add the resource? Noob question but I'm doing my best to learn, and have come a long way without any help. Any advice is appreciated :fingers-crossed:

ur getting something like
(xml file):# (error message)
right?

if so, just open up the xml file and delete the part with whatever resource it tells you

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Because we can all read your mind and your computer logs to know exactly what you typed. You asked a question and I answered it, without knowing what exactly you changed/added how are we supposes to provide any further support?

I did read your post...I don't see how it was supposed to change my answer though.