Galaxy Tab wifi only (P1010) hardware

Search This thread

slim_thumb

Mar 19, 2011
Can owners of the Galaxy Tab wifi-only version (P1010) please install Quadrant and make a screen shot of the "System Information" (see attached file, example for Moto Xoom) showing the CPU and GPU?

There are rumors that the wifi-only version use a different chip (OMAP 3630) from the original GT (Samsung Hummingbird). In quadrant's "System Information", even if the CPU name is not listed, the GPU name should be listed - if it is the same as the original GT it should be PowerVR SGX540; if it is OMAP 3630 it will be SGX530.

Time to settle some rumors once and for all. Thank you for your contribution.

Attachments

• XOOM-Quadrant1.jpg
    XOOM-Quadrant1.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 1,254

rdk67

Jun 25, 2010
Can owners of the Galaxy Tab wifi-only version (P1010) please install Quadrant and make a screen shot of the "System Information" (see attached file, example for Moto Xoom) showing the CPU and GPU?

There are rumors that the wifi-only version use a different chip (OMAP 3630) from the original GT (Samsung Hummingbird). In quadrant's "System Information", even if the CPU name is not listed, the GPU name should be listed - if it is the same as the original GT it should be PowerVR SGX540; if it is OMAP 3630 it will be SGX530.

Time to settle some rumors once and for all. Thank you for your contribution.

It's PowerVR SGX530!

Attachments

• IMG_20110428_220522.jpg
    IMG_20110428_220522.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 1,126

rtfm1777

Apr 22, 2011
Is this the OMAP 3630?

Even a total noob like me can guess that "Cores:1" can't be good.

Attachments

• WiFiTab.jpg
    WiFiTab.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 719

hicdub

Sep 17, 2010
I am getting one of these in the next week or so, but if I understand correctly then the wifi only version isnt quite as quick?

rdk67

Jun 25, 2010
In system folders.

Attachments

• IMAG0007.jpg
    IMAG0007.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 797
  • IMAG0009.jpg
    IMAG0009.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 603

webvan

May 20, 2008
It's not like the P1000 has two of them, you know. Plus, the tab plays full hd video while the Tegra 2 can't go above 720p.
With what video app?

Thanks for the topic as I was also looking into getting the WiFi only tab...will now be looking at the GSM version, ATT or TMOBILE (that one is cheaper) or the 8.9"...when it comes out.

slim_thumb

Mar 19, 2011
hicdub said:
I am getting one of these in the next week or so, but if I understand correctly then the wifi only version isnt quite as quick?

I have the original GTab (T-Mobile version) but not the wifi-only (P1010) version. However, I have an Archos 70 tablet that uses the OMAP3630 chip with the SGX530 gpu. It may be comparing orange with grapefruit but this is better than nothing.

The Archos plays downloaded HD video using their media player quite smoothly. However (1) the Archos screen is only 800 x 480 resolution, meaning it is less stressful for a weaker gpu (2) they probably have some form of hardware acceleration for their media player.

The problem comes when you try to watch online streaming video using Adobe Flash in the web browsers (NOTE: NOT through youtube app which compresses the video stream). It can play standard definition (SD, 360p) video but sometimes show stuttering (eg. just before the embedded ads show up). Anything higher (480p or +) causes major stutters and hangs. NOTE: the Archos has a low res. screen (800 x 480) and the SGX530 gpu is already struggling.

When I use my GTab, 360p SD Flash videos in the browser plays smoothly without any problem. It can manage many 480p Flash videos (youtube automatically bumps up the video resolution to 480p when you go full screen). NOTE: the GTab has a higher resolution (1024 x 600) screen, and the SGX540 gpu is able to keep up with it.

My main concern is the pairing of the weaker SGX530 gpu with the "higher" screen resolution of 1024 x 600 in the P1010 may not be a happy marriage!

Any higher res. Flash videos are not possible - and I don't think any single core ARM processors can manage true HD (720p or higher) Flash videos, because these processors were originally designed for smartphones with small low res. screens!

With the original GTab version, you will probably get a faster and smoother user experience eg. swiping through the screens, screen animation / transition, typing on the keyboard. This is because tablets use the touchscreen exclusively for user input, which involves the gpu all the time.

P.S. I rooted my GTab and applied the One Click Lag Fix immediately after unboxing, and it is truely flying! Quadrant about 2200.

Last edited:
Reactions: vanhoivanbinh

bthoven

Jun 28, 2008
Bangkok
Don't buy the wifi version if you expect it to play HD video.

YouTube HQ (480x360) plays smoothly.

Other features are much more responsive than Archos 70 (I have both Grab wifi and Archie 70).

Sent from Galaxy Tab Wifi using Tapatalk

slim_thumb

Mar 19, 2011
stockhomer said:
I only have 720 Quadrant points with my euro p1010 wifi only rooted with Z4root, is that normal?

Find "OCLF" (OneClickLagFix) in Android Market. I dunno if it will work on the P1010 but it is worth a try.

Run the app and press "install ext2 tools". If this button is red or it fails to install, you are out of luck.

After this, see which "OneClickLagFix" button (v1, v2, v2.2) is green and choose the NEWEST version. If one version fails, try another one (with green button). If all buttons are in red or if all available versions fail, you are out of luck.

P.S. Before I run Quadrant, I close all unnecessary apps in the background (eg. Weather, Twitter, antivirus). This make sure all possible processing power is used to run the benchmark. Before I used OCLF my Quadrant score (original GTab) was about 1100.

bthoven

Jun 28, 2008
Bangkok
I only have 720 Quadrant points with my euro p1010 wifi only rooted with Z4root, is that normal?:confused:

Ps: sorry for my bad english:eek:

I also apply one click lag fix. Though the score jumps from 6xx to 16xx, I don't think we can trust Quadrant score test after OCLF. Reason: you can see the Database read/write test is so quick as if it did nothing. Before applying lagfix Database write test tooks around 20 seconds, but after lagfix, it looks like it did nothing on the database test.

I found original Grab wifi is already so much responsive even very low quadrant score. Archos 70 has double the gtab wifi quadrant score, but much less responsive.

Reactions: stockhomer

bthoven

Jun 28, 2008
Bangkok
Just to confirm OCLF works with p1010. The process was smooth; but I'm still doubt on performance gain. I can't discern the differences.

Last edited:
Reactions: stockhomer

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    hicdub said:

I have the original GTab (T-Mobile version) but not the wifi-only (P1010) version. However, I have an Archos 70 tablet that uses the OMAP3630 chip with the SGX530 gpu. It may be comparing orange with grapefruit but this is better than nothing.

The Archos plays downloaded HD video using their media player quite smoothly. However (1) the Archos screen is only 800 x 480 resolution, meaning it is less stressful for a weaker gpu (2) they probably have some form of hardware acceleration for their media player.

The problem comes when you try to watch online streaming video using Adobe Flash in the web browsers (NOTE: NOT through youtube app which compresses the video stream). It can play standard definition (SD, 360p) video but sometimes show stuttering (eg. just before the embedded ads show up). Anything higher (480p or +) causes major stutters and hangs. NOTE: the Archos has a low res. screen (800 x 480) and the SGX530 gpu is already struggling.

When I use my GTab, 360p SD Flash videos in the browser plays smoothly without any problem. It can manage many 480p Flash videos (youtube automatically bumps up the video resolution to 480p when you go full screen). NOTE: the GTab has a higher resolution (1024 x 600) screen, and the SGX540 gpu is able to keep up with it.

My main concern is the pairing of the weaker SGX530 gpu with the "higher" screen resolution of 1024 x 600 in the P1010 may not be a happy marriage!

Any higher res. Flash videos are not possible - and I don't think any single core ARM processors can manage true HD (720p or higher) Flash videos, because these processors were originally designed for smartphones with small low res. screens!

With the original GTab version, you will probably get a faster and smoother user experience eg. swiping through the screens, screen animation / transition, typing on the keyboard. This is because tablets use the touchscreen exclusively for user input, which involves the gpu all the time.

P.S. I rooted my GTab and applied the One Click Lag Fix immediately after unboxing, and it is truely flying! Quadrant about 2200.
    I only have 720 Quadrant points with my euro p1010 wifi only rooted with Z4root, is that normal?:confused:

I also apply one click lag fix. Though the score jumps from 6xx to 16xx, I don't think we can trust Quadrant score test after OCLF. Reason: you can see the Database read/write test is so quick as if it did nothing. Before applying lagfix Database write test tooks around 20 seconds, but after lagfix, it looks like it did nothing on the database test.

I found original Grab wifi is already so much responsive even very low quadrant score. Archos 70 has double the gtab wifi quadrant score, but much less responsive.

Just to confirm OCLF works with p1010. The process was smooth; but I'm still doubt on performance gain. I can't discern the differences.

As mentioned in my other reply, I got only 6xx, but this tablet is very fast.