Q free wifi tethering

Search This thread

Russellhi

Sep 1, 2007
Im thinking about jumping ship from android (evo 4g) to the titan. One of the biggest things holding me back is the ability to tether for free via USB and wifi with android. Is this an option with the titan?

win7463

Dec 13, 2008
Im thinking about jumping ship from android (evo 4g) to the titan. One of the biggest things holding me back is the ability to tether for free via USB and wifi with android. Is this an option with the titan?

I have the unlocked UK version of the phone and it does have Internet Connection Sharing in settings for sharing via wifi. Not sure if other versions of the phone will have it. AT&T phones will probably come with it locked down, not sure if unlocking the phone will also allow access to Internet Connection Sharing.

Russellhi

Sep 1, 2007
Thanks for the info. Hopefully unlocking the phone will let me tether it. I'm going to wait and see if it works before I buy it.

drokkon

Oct 8, 2007
Colorado Springs
Would also love some more info. Was able to stealth-tether with my Focus without unlocking/jailbreaking, and that was super-handy since I do it so rarely and don't want to have to add it to my plan...

Now the Focus is dead and I'm 99% likely to be purchasing a Titan tomorrow.

win7463

Dec 13, 2008
Would also love some more info. Was able to stealth-tether with my Focus without unlocking/jailbreaking, and that was super-handy since I do it so rarely and don't want to have to add it to my plan...

Now the Focus is dead and I'm 99% likely to be purchasing a Titan tomorrow.

Looks like expansys is carrying the us version now with the hspa+ 850,1900,2100 bands. That one looks non carrier branded so it should work with internet connection sharing. Really curious if someone has a AT&T Titan they have unlocked that allows ICS.

pistol44

Sep 1, 2008
Toronto
Looks like expansys is carrying the us version now with the hspa+ 850,1900,2100 bands. That one looks non carrier branded so it should work with internet connection sharing. Really curious if someone has a AT&T Titan they have unlocked that allows ICS.

I have it unlocked on Telus. Just tried the internet sharing and funny enough it still says to contact ATT or dial 611 lol.. So I'm with Telus yet I need to contact ATT?? Right..

drupad2drupad

Apr 11, 2010
I have SIM-FREE UK version and can tether on Giffgaff gigabags. No issues at all. No jailbreaking needed, no unlocking of any sorts.

pistol44

Sep 1, 2008
Toronto
Sounds like the conclusion here is the unlocked unbranded version is okay to to use Internet Sharing.

AT&T locked or unlocked (like me) you are out of luck.

However I'm curious who can actually unlock this feature for an unlocked ATT model. Your current carrier? ATT directly? HTC?

Or are you just screwed?

drupad2drupad

Apr 11, 2010
Sounds like the conclusion here is the unlocked unbranded version is okay to to use Internet Sharing.

AT&T locked or unlocked (like me) you are out of luck.

However I'm curious who can actually unlock this feature for an unlocked ATT model. Your current carrier? ATT directly? HTC?

Or are you just screwed?

But do you mean that you don't have this ICS option in your settings list?
or does turning ICS on, doesn't do anything?

pistol44

Sep 1, 2008
Toronto
But do you mean that you don't have this ICS option in your settings list?
or does turning ICS on, doesn't do anything?

Not sure what you mean...

I do have the Internet Sharing option is settings.

When I turn it on it says "Connection not shared - To enable tethering on this device, go to att.com/mywireless or dial 611"

It's unlocked and not on ATT.

Last edited:

drupad2drupad

Apr 11, 2010
Not sure what you mean...

I do have the Internet Sharing option is settings.

When I turn it on it says "Connection not shared - To enable tethering on this device, go to att.com/mywireless or dial 611"

It's unlocked and not on ATT.

oh I meant Internet Connection Sharing.

It more looks like its your SIM that might not be compatible to tether on titan? When I turn it on, it shows me devices I can pair with and then it needs connection using passcode.

pistol44

Sep 1, 2008
Toronto
oh I meant Internet Connection Sharing.

It more looks like its your SIM that might not be compatible to tether on titan? When I turn it on, it shows me devices I can pair with and then it needs connection using passcode.

Oh, well I assume you're not using an unlocked ATT Titan? I know the unbranded model has no issues with internet sharing.

averma

Feb 29, 2008
I was trying to get tethering working as well (at&t titan on Rogers) i phoned around and the HTC rep said tethering needs to be added onto my account. I have a 6GB data plan that does not include tethering (i know rogers says anything over 1GB has it but technically my account does not include it). The Rogers Rep said i would need ot go down to a 1GB plan for them to addon tethering to my account and then the phone should authenticate and work.

Is anyone here able to test that out and confirm?

---------- Post added at 03:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:20 AM ----------

my current theory is that the at&t phone actually authenticates back to the carrier to verify tethering is added onto the account rather than just sharing out its current internet connetion.

if anyone can test and get back to us it might be helpfull

pistol44

Sep 1, 2008
Toronto
I was trying to get tethering working as well (at&t titan on Rogers) i phoned around and the HTC rep said tethering needs to be added onto my account. I have a 6GB data plan that does not include tethering (i know rogers says anything over 1GB has it but technically my account does not include it). The Rogers Rep said i would need ot go down to a 1GB plan for them to addon tethering to my account and then the phone should authenticate and work.

Is anyone here able to test that out and confirm?

---------- Post added at 03:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:20 AM ----------

my current theory is that the at&t phone actually authenticates back to the carrier to verify tethering is added onto the account rather than just sharing out its current internet connetion.

if anyone can test and get back to us it might be helpfull

I'd be surprised if that actually worked. However I have speculated a way that should allow unlocked ATT branded Titan users like us to be able to use Internet Sharing. Sadly this won't be an option until the next MS Windows Phone update is rolled out. I'll explain..

When I had my HD7 it was T-Mobile branded unlocked on Wind Mobile. At first it was filled with all kinds of T-Mo apps etc and similarly locked to T-Mo within the OS. But once the updates starting rolling out from MS I forced them to my phone rather than waiting for T-Mo and it essentially made it become unbranded. The Internet Sharing feature was available as an update on my HD7 when the unbranded models received theirs and it was fully functional. So whenever MS rolls out whatever next update there is forcing it to our Titans should make it fully unbranded and at the same time unlock our Internet Sharing feature.

Pretty_Paulie1

Jul 5, 2007
I'm with At&t and can verify that once I switched my plan from unlimited to "4g with tethering" I've been able to use Wifi Sharing. In fact i'm using it right now.

Phrozt

Dec 12, 2009
Add me to the list of ppl curious how to do it for free. I very rarely use the option, but I'd like it nonetheless...

colbyjames

Apr 16, 2008
Titan on Rogers

I have an AT&T branded Titan unlocked running on Rogers. I had a 1GB plan without tethering and I was getting teh same issue when I tried to enable tethering. So, I phoned Rogers and now I have a 6GB plan which has tethering enabled.

Restarted my phone, same issue.

I think that in order for this to work either I have to update the phone so that it is unbranded (how would I do this?) OR there is a registery key or file that needs to be changed so that the check to the carrier no longer happens.

Hmmmmm....

averma

Feb 29, 2008
I think i know what needs to be done. My buddy has a Samsung Focus Flash from At&t (forgot to check but i assume it would give him the same At&t tethering message we're all getting).

Anyways we interop unlocked it and pushed the wifi tethering patch for WP7 and my guess it overwrote the At&t lockdown because he is able to tether without any issues.

Good news is we can get it working - bad news we have to wait for someone to interop unlock the Titan - which so far hasn't been done

Rickgig

Jan 1, 2008
Frisco
This whole thing with tethering is flat getting old. We should have it std on the phone if we have an unlimited plan like I do and some of the others do. This sucks and is a good reason to take our business elsewhere where the feature is included.

I really don't use it much but that is not the point.

Okay, I'm done ranting and raving about this and I am back to normal.