Samsung S5 G900F first days review

Search This thread

a_k_gano

Nov 29, 2010
Giza
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip3
Hi All,

I have my G900F handset for some days by now and I thought it would be good to share my view about it.
About me, I am a heavy mobile user. my recent handsets in sequence are as follows... SonyEricsson Arc s, Samsung Note 1, HTC sensation, Sony Acro S, HTC one X+, and finally Samsung Galaxy S5 G900F.

Design:
- The device looks normal, nothing fancy (pass)
- The used materials don't really look expensive, it is a plastic handset (negative)
- The battery cover cracks some times if I try to squeeze the phone (negative)
- It's light, thin, and comfortable to hold/use (positive)

Performance:
- Doesn't really feel that I am using a 2.5 quad core processed phone except when I run games. (negative)
- RAM usage doesn't make sense, it is more than what I expected. (negative)
- Still it is quite fast but it would be faster (I feel that my previous HTC One X+ is faster). (pass)
- Battery performance is really good, and it gets charged really quick. (positive)

Screen:
- Screen brightness is amazing (positive)
- Picture quality is really good in general (positive)
- Touch screen is very responsive (positive)

Sensors:
- auto brightness response is really disappointing (negative - used Lux application which makes it much better).
- response of proximity sensor of HTC One X+ was faster, but still not bad in S5 (pass)
- disappointing experience with the proximity sensor when using S View cover (negative).

User interface:
- HTC sense was better and more friendly (pass)

Sound quality:
- people hear me well but can be better (pass).
- I hear people loud, but not Crystal clear (pass)
- loud speaker quality is above average but not amazing (pass).

Hope it helps.

Thanks,

Tomo1971

Apr 21, 2012
Fife
All of a sudden, everyone is an expert* critic * reviewer*

*delete as appropriate

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

inexcf

Oct 24, 2010
Performance:
- Doesn't really feel that I am using a 2.5 quad core processed phone except when I run games. (negative)
- Still it is quite fast but it would be faster (I feel that my previous HTC One X+ is faster). (pass)

You are giving 2 different ratings for the same thing? Also i dont know, its blazing fast for me. Seems to m that when someone complains about the speed of the S5 they mean how the UI feels. Try disabling Animations.

- RAM usage doesn't make sense, it is more than what I expected. (negative)

And here i dont think you know what you are talking about. High RAM usage is in no way bad. You want as much data stored in the RAM as possible for quick access.

a_k_gano

Nov 29, 2010
Giza
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip3
Yes, i am talking about how the ui feels.

the ram usage means the ui and the running applications are consuming alot. Yes, the main function of ram is to keep but the main function of the ui and the apps is not to exhaust the ram
You are giving 2 different ratings for the same thing? Also i dont know, its blazing fast for me. Seems to m that when someone complains about the speed of the S5 they mean how the UI feels. Try disabling Animations.

And here i dont think you know what you are talking about. High RAM usage is in no way bad. You want as much data stored in the RAM as possible for quick access.

Tomo1971

Apr 21, 2012
Fife
You say about the casing creaking when you squeeze it... Has the s5 got a built in juice maker? Why on earth do you need to squeeze it?

Of course the good thing about been mainly plastic is that plastic is more plyable.... I had a z2 last week and within 3 days of ownership the glass back had cracked. I suspect due to the heat from the camera... But if it was a knock it was something that would never of damaged the s5 due to been a plastic plyable frame.

For every negative one sees, another sees it as a positive.

inexcf

Oct 24, 2010
Yes, i am talking about how the ui feels.

the ram usage means the ui and the running applications are consuming alot. Yes, the main function of ram is to keep but the main function of the ui and the apps is not to exhaust the ram

Dont use TouchWiz. In fact for some reasons most Samsung apps seem a tiny bit slower than others dont know why. One thing that is a bit annoying is the home button. Open something and close it with the back button and then do the same thing but close it with the home button. The homebutton takes significantly longer, because its waiting to decide if it is a short press or if it should wait to launch the long press action. There should be a way to change that though. And try disabling the Animations or at least make them shorter. When people talk about the M8 having a smoother AI and they talk about lag on the S5 it seems like the Animation speed on the S5 is longer which makes it feel like it lags in comparison.

And considering the RAM:
Having as much as possible loaded in the RAM just is a good thing. Free RAM is just a waste. And looking at the RAM usage of each app there doesnt seem to be anything that exhaust the RAM. After a cold boot my RAM is filled about 60% and with almost every App already loaded to the memory. As long as there arent different apps that need to run and exceed the 2GB limit at the same time you wont notice anything. RAM full and you start a new app? An old process gets killed or suspended and you will only notice that the RAM was exhausted when you do extreme multitasking and constantly switch back to suspended apps.

Last edited:

a_k_gano

Nov 29, 2010
Giza
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip3
You say about the casing creaking when you squeeze it... Has the s5 got a built in juice maker? Why on earth do you need to squeeze it?

Of course the good thing about been mainly plastic is that plastic is more plyable.... I had a z2 last week and within 3 days of ownership the glass back had cracked. I suspect due to the heat from the camera... But if it was a knock it was something that would never of damaged the s5 due to been a plastic plyable frame.

For every negative one sees, another sees it as a positive.

Ok

a_k_gano

Nov 29, 2010
Giza
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip3
Dont use TouchWiz. In fact for some reasons most Samsung apps seem a tiny bit slower than others dont know why. One thing that is a bit annoying is the home button. Open something and close it with the back button and then do the same thing but close it with the home button. The homebutton takes significantly longer, because its waiting to decide if it is a short press or if it should wait to launch the long press action. There should be a way to change that though. And try disabling the Animations or at least make them shorter. When people talk about the M8 having a smoother AI and they talk about lag on the S5 it seems like the Animation speed on the S5 is longer which makes it feel like it lags in comparison.

And considering the RAM:
Having as much as possible loaded in the RAM just is a good thing. Free RAM is just a waste. And looking at the RAM usage of each app there doesnt seem to be anything that exhaust the RAM. After a cold boot my RAM is filled about 60% and with almost every App already loaded to the memory. As long as there arent different apps that need to run and exceed the 2GB limit at the same time you wont notice anything. RAM full and you start a new app? An old process gets killed or suspended and you will only notice that the RAM was exhausted when you do extreme multitasking and constantly switch back to suspended apps.

thanks tomo

drakester09

Jan 10, 2012
If you *really* cared about specs, you should've gone for the Note 3 (Which is much better) or waited for the S5 Prime.
There's a huge thread debating this... *much* better is very subjective.

Both have their advantages and disadvantages. I found the S5 Touchwiz a marked improvement thanks to less bloat and much cleaner aesthetics. Camera is much better, screen is better (more advanced version of AMOLED) and battery is equal or better.

Plus for me the choice was between the Exynos variants and the Note 3 is at a huge disadvantage due to the S5 having global task scheduling and a much better audio chip (Wolfson), I had the S2 and swore I'd never buy another phone with a Yamaha DAC.

Memory is the largest advantage of the N3, S Pen and screen size (depends on personal taste), which kinda makes this whole thing a zero-sum depending on who you ask..

Last edited:

a_k_gano

Nov 29, 2010
Giza
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip3
There's a huge thread debating this... *much* better is very subjective.

Both have their advantages and disadvantages. I found the S5 Touchwiz a marked improvement thanks to less bloat and much cleaner aesthetics. Camera is much better, screen is better (more advanced version of AMOLED) and battery is equal or better.

Plus for me the choice was between the Exynos variants and the Note 3 is at a huge disadvantage due to the S5 having global task scheduling and a much better audio chip (Wolfson), I had the S2 and swore I'd never buy another phone with a Yamaha DAC.

Memory is the largest advantage of the N3, S Pen and screen size (depends on personal taste), which kinda makes this whole thing a zero-sum depending on who you ask..

For me I didn't consider the Note 3 as the big screen reflects into a big size. The Note 3 size for me is not comfortable to use in hand.

sarbe

Sep 26, 2010
Go buy an IPhone, pointless thread.

Sent from my SM-G900F using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Top Liked Posts